Most Annoying Thing Ever

Hello all. I'm looking for some speculation. SO, I got some fish about a month ago; a pleco and some rainbow featherfins. So they're all looking good, no disease, ich, anything, so after a month I put them in the main tank, but not all of them just so I have something keeping the qt going. Here's the annoying part. The VERY NEXT DAY I look at the at the qt, SPOTS on two of the rainbow featherfins. I treated the tank for ich because I thought it couldn't possibly be ich, after all, in my experience, ich pops up pretty fast if you have it. Also, I treated because I want to know what I'm going to be dealing with should it pop up in the main tank. SO, today, two days after initial treatment, no spots in the qt. Which means, ich.

So now my question is, did the pleco and fish I transfered to the main tank just miss the ich hatching? It's been 3 days since I transfered and there are no symptoms on any of the fish in the main tank. Should I expect an impending ich outbreak? Ugh, I'm so frustrated. I keep my tanks pristine; problems only happen when I get new fish > :( Also, on a side note, are Angelfish impervious to ich or are more difficult for ich to attach to? The last ich outbreak I had did not affect the angels in the least so if I have it again in the main tank it will be tough to spot since the pleco hides and the rams are skittish.

Thanks so much for reading my rant, any speculations?

~Stasia

I think regardless of how pristine a tank is, Ich is a protozoa that is in just about every tank. For the most part though, when healthy fish are kept in good water conditions and fed properly, their immune systems are strong enough to prevent infection and disease. Most fish we bring back from fish stores though have compromised immune systems due to the water quality, stocking conditions, lack of proper care, etc. from fish stores.

Since you said that your fish were in QT before being added to the main tank, perhaps the move caused a bit of stress on the fish, and the Ich set in during the stressed state of your fish. There are many possibilities. I'm not certain about angel fish since I've never kept any.

In the meantime, I would recommend raising the temperature in both your main tank and your QT, salting, and doing frequent water changes to help minimize the chances of additional Ich breakouts.

I'll second what Tinko said, Ich's in every tank, you just need to keep your fish healthy enough not to get an outbreak.

Raise the temp, treat with salt, and keep the qt tank pristine and hopefully you can get rid of it without any detrimental effects to your fish. Good luck!

And I don't think angels are any less likely to get it. Perhaps in your last outbreak their immune systems were stronger for whatever reason. And each fish is different, when I first started fish keeping I had an ich outbreak and some got it really bad and some didn't get it at all.

The qt tank developed ich symptoms the day after I transfered some of the fish to the main tank (after a month of quarantine). I'm not sure what happened. Anyways, the inevitable happened, the main tank developed symptoms today so I'm treating that tank too, Pepe the prawn is living in a fish bowl for now with a bubble stone and hideyhole. How long does he have to live there before he's cleared of ich? I always feel like whenever my tank gets an ich outbreak that I'm a bad fish mom:( like I did something wrong, but I can't figure out what I did this time. I did take the heater out which dropped the temp 3 degrees in the qt tank, could that have done it?

~Stasia

Absolutely, the ich I had when I first started was when my heater broke while I was away for the weekend. A sudden drop in temperature can stress your fish, which lowers their immune system.

Sorry, and I hope your fish pull through. I'm confident they will, you caught it early and you know already how to treat it. And it doesn't mean you're a bad fish mom at all. We've all had to go through it at one time or another. Just stay on top of the treatment and keep your water pristine (and the temp constant).

:goodpost

I like to think of Ich like the common cold. It's sorta just everywhere, and we get a cold whenever our immune is compromised.

That doesn't mean that we're not healthy individuals or that our parents aren't good parents.

It just means that we were stressed or somehow our immune was a bit under par. :)

Thanks guys:)

Final question and an update. How long does my vampire (atya) shrimp need to live in a fishbowl? I know the ich does not affect him, but how long until the ich in his water die off?

Update: The qt is doing well, no casualties and all 3 fish look good. I need to do a water change tonight and supposedly, the treatment is done with. As for the main tank, with one dose the ich are off the rams (as they did not appear to attach to the pleco and the angels as of yet). I will do the second treatment tonight. As for Pepe (atya shrimp) he's living in a fishbowl with a bubble stone and hideyhole. Not quite a palace, but hopefully he can go back soon.

Thanks again,

Stasia

Thanks for the site. It said to put new carbon filters in after treatment, but I've also heard otherwise. To use the same ones that you've let stay in a bowl of water while treating.

Thanks,

Stasia

I think the suggestion to use old carbon is just to help prevent a cycle bump. New carbon will remove the meds from the water better, so unless your cycle is unstable for some reason, I'd use new carbon.

So I tested the water in the qt, it's crashing. There are traces nitrates, nitrites and ammonia. And this was after the water change. The tank was stable before but was a newer tank set up, about a month and half old. I have one fish in this tank. I guess I should put the old filter in, my concern is I will reinfect the tank with ich. Any thoughts?? I'm nervous :(

Thanks,

Stasia

New Carbon. I was worried the old would reinfect. I still have it though if that would be helpful. Sorry if I'm being unclear. I'm really frustrated. :( :( :( I'm putting the old one back in I guess :( either way, the fish will die, so might as well try it.

Edited by Ju_jubee2

Oh, I misread. I thought you meant you replaced the entire filter. Na, I'd use new carbon, but not because the old would reinfect the tank. Unless there are spores in the carbon I don't think there's any risk of the carbon reinfecting the tank. I'd just use new carbon because it'll work better to filter the meds out of the water.

I'd want to know why you have amonia and nitrite in an established tank though.... That shouldn't be.

Sorry about your fish, I'm still hoping they pull through for ya. :) Fingers crossed.

Thanks balashark! I think everyone is gonna make it. While the qt was spiking I moved my ram into a breeder cage in the main tank (since that tank is being treated too). I put a new cartridge in with new carbon and the old one in the qt. I've done two water changes a day since it spiked and the levels are going down. No ammonia, and a little of nitrates and nitrites. I figure even if I reinfect the tank it'll be fine, the only thing i plan on putting back in at this point is Pepe the shrimp because I don't know how long I need to quarantine him. The Ich appears to be gone, but I think I'm going to do one more treatment in the main tank anyways to make sure I got rid of all it. I think I will be returning the ram to the fish store when I'm done treating and know he's healthy :(

Does anyone (near VT) happen to want a balloon bellied german ram? I'd prefer to give him to someone I know will take good care of him.

Thanks all,

Stasia