Fiona: Bottom Sitting/red Fin

Bubbleboy

Alright, I've been rather busy/lazy lately and haven't gotten around to posting very much (Sorry everyone :( ), but I really need help right now because Fiona is worrying me a little.

So here's my situation. Fiona has been acting weird the past few weeks. She's taken to bottom sitting and I have no clue why. I did regular weekly water changes (except for once I skipped a week :/ gahhhh I don't know why) and everything else has been normal. Eating, poop, ect. The only real reason I can think that she would be doing this is maybe because she's lonely? She's recently showed me she's ready for a boyfriend (by laying eggs twice) so maybe that's it? I'm lost...

However, what really drove me to post is an alarming redness on her lower right tailfin. I knew that this might have something to do with bad water qualities so I did a 50% water change. Here were her readings before the change:

pH: 7.6

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrates: 10 ppm

Nitrites: 0 ppm

I know the nitrates are a little high, but I didn't think it could cause all the redness. I thought about adding melafix to the water to help her heal? Would that be good? I really hope it's not something serious like hemorragic septicemia!! But I don't see any sores on her body so that's a plus. I'll continue doing partial water changes for the next few days as well, in hopes of curing her of whatever she's sick with. Thanks for the big help everyone! From one worked up goldfish lover to another :)

Maybe she injured herself on something in the tank? Post photo of Fiona, it would be much easier to help you...

And for bottom sitting, maybe you overfeed her? But that are all just guesses...

Hope that Fiona will be better. :heart

Hi Bubbleboy!

Your water looks good. How about filter rinsing and tank side cleaning? Are there any pipes clogged or in need of a brush out? I often find something somewhere neglected when I see the beginnings of red on fins.

Is there anywhere that could be hiding a decaying pile of debris, waste for example?

Thanks for the replies everyone. The gravel is around 1-2 inches thick, but I vacuum it every time I change the water...and I guess I could change her filter media. I can't remember the last time it was changed. As for tank sides cleaning, I do that every time I change her water as well. Everything is flowing well so no pipes are clogged. Fiona's not bottom sitting today though. I think she gets more active after I do her weekly water change. So maybe I should give her some fresh water a little more often? Maybe a bi-weekly water change? What do you guys think?

• Admin

You might be surprised how much gunk gets in the gravel especially 1- 2" deep....

As for filter media if you have rinsed it out in one to two weeks it will build up gunk inside the filter..sometimes causing a bacterial bloom....I would rinse all the filter media except if you have bio balls. those shouldn't be cleaned.

Any ornaments or things like that?

Ummm.....Ornaments? Nothing artificial. I do have two pieces of wood in there, but those have been in for months without problems. And it's treated aquarium wood. Not just something I liked and picked up on the beach lol. I clean those every few weeks when they really gunk up. Last time I cleaned them though, it was really nasty under them, so this cloud of crud sort of came into the water. I think that might be a factor......I'll put up a pic asap!

• Admin

:bingo: you just found your problem hun The logs...See when you picked it up and that smell and cloud came out that was bad bio bugs. This got into your water for the fish, then it got in the blood stream causing red fins.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...php?showtopic=5

btw Koko your img coding doesn't seem to be working in that thread you just posted.

hollow.jpg

it's VERY GOOD advice too!

even if the ornament isn't hollow they are notorious for trapping baddies! Imo suggested I remove my ornament b/c Gabe was bottom sitting and after it was gone he was back to normal! ;)

Well Fiona's much more active (I just did her weekly water change today) and she's actually been quite active all week. I think the spot's getting better too :) . I've decided to clean the wood and under them every time I do a water change too. I can't believe I didn't think of the wood thing the first time :wall lol such a common sense thing. Oh well. Fiona's ok I believe. Maybe a week more and a few water changes here and there and I think she'll be good. Thanks so much everyone!!! :)

Yeah it's always a bummer when something's off with Fiona. But it's getting better. I think I'll take Koko's wise suggestion and change her filter. :) we have such smart people on Koko's haha.