Sign in to follow this  
stalepriest

Takeshi Amano

Yes they are spotless. But they really don't look like something you would find underwater. Much to tame. They look more like paintings then a fish tank.

And way to much work. lol I think Ill keep my wild mess.

However if I had the money and the patience I would have to have one on a very small scale. Like a 10 gallon.

They are absolutly breathtaking though!

I would kill for a tank like ANY one of these.

I love them! I've been obsessed with aquascaping for the past few weeks, which has pushed me to start planning a small, 5-10 gallon planted 'tree on a hill' betta tank.

Well, it's a tank planted and 'scaped to look like a landscape of a tree on a hill, or a variation of such (I don't know what the proper term for it is, so I just made up a term. XD )

Anyway, something like these:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2008...vol=0&id=64

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2007...vol=0&id=20

These tanks are absolutely amazing! Wow! I would LOVE to have/do something like this, but live plants are just more work than I want to take on. Now...... a fake version, definitely! I do fake plants, but I ALWAYS make an attempt to "landscape/aquascape" the tank. I can't live with a tank that's "just there." It has to be a work of art, definitely, even if it is just fake plants. This guy is a true aqua artist!

Well, it's a tank planted and 'scaped to look like a landscape of a tree on a hill, or a variation of such (I don't know what the proper term for it is, so I just made up a term. XD )

Anyway, something like these:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2008...vol=0&id=64

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2007...vol=0&id=20

That second one is utterly amazing. It's so surreal. How long do you think these planted tanks would last with a couple of Goldfish let loose in them? lol

That second one is utterly amazing. It's so surreal. How long do you think these planted tanks would last with a couple of Goldfish let loose in them? lol

I'd give 'em a week, tops. More like three days ;)

Seriously though, those tanks are amazing! Now I want my bf to do a "tree on a hill" for his tank. He loves plants. His goldies are really small right now, but he'll learn when they grow up! :ignore

I am afraid that if you try to scape an Amano style tank, your goldies will make short work of it. His tanks are extremely high maintenance and his tanks are set up to have only a few small fish (tetras, otos, rasboras, etc.) If you want a scaped goldfish tank, you may have more luck with a more 'natural' style tank where a few nibbles from your fish will be less noticeable. Although knowing our goldfish pets, it won't be nibbles, more like chunks of plants will be gobbled up!

I love the tree on the hill...what kind of plant makes the tree? I really love this concept. My goldies are weird about plants...wistera and jungle val were goners, but everything else they won't touch.

I love the tree on the hill...what kind of plant makes the tree? I really love this concept. My goldies are weird about plants...wistera and jungle val were goners, but everything else they won't touch.

It's Java Moss attached to driftwood

It's Java Moss attached to driftwood

That is some amazing trimming to get it look that neat and tree like.

Nice! But not a goldie in sight.

Great size tanks though and so peaceful and calming looking.

I want to know how he does water changes! When you pour the water back into the tank all the sand at the bottom would go EVERYWHERE!

I remember seeing a show on this guy or someone like him, on how they made these tanks. :) Amazing

I want to know how he does water changes! When you pour the water back into the tank all the sand at the bottom would go EVERYWHERE!

Tanks like these generally don't use sand as a bottom substrate but an Aqua Design Amano product called Aquasoil - a stabilized granulated form of aquarium "compost". You could imagine how much a hassle it would be if the bottom is disturbed and the soil particles cloud up the tank. :)

So usually, performing water changes on these tanks are a 10%-turnover daily chore. So as to disturb it as little as possible.

Wow, that seems like a lot of work! I am soo glad I don't have to do that :)