Dojo Loach

Guest JinLamb

Guest JinLamb

Hi, I have two dojos, one yellow and one pink. The pink one has a tiny black dot just behind his dorsal fin on his back. I think it has always been there but not entirely sure. Does anyone know what this could be? Does it indicate some kind of maturity stage or something? They are both about 3 years old and about 5 inches long. I do not know their genders. Thank you!

Never heard of the spot. Then again, I've never heard of a pink loach either. Or do you mean like the flesh colored albino gold? LOL, probably. I was picturing some hot-pink dojo. :)

What are your water parameters for this tank? Specifically, your pH and amonia reading. Somtimes blackened scales can be an indicator of high levels of amonia in the water or a drop in pH.

Also, do you have any old pics of these fish you could compare too, to see if it's always had the black dot?

Finally, sexing dojos is farily easy. Males have a large front ray in their dorsal fin giving it a triangular shape, while females dorsal fins appear rounder.

Guest JinLamb

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions. I guess what I have are called golden loaches. No, they are not fluorescent pink! LOL!! One is yellowish and one is pinkish. I saw some pics on the internet that show some of these with tiny dark spots so maybe mine just has the one spot. I will need to go and try to sex them now. Thank you again!