Ph Tap: 7.6

Test Kit: API drops

Temperature: 65ish

Tank size: 29 gallons/running almost eight months

Filters: Penguin biowheels 250 and 100

Water changes: Twice weekly 10%, once weekly 50%

# Fish: Three (and between 0-3 shrimp)

Conditioner: Prime

Food: Once daily Jungle AntiBacterial -- They completed two weeks of it the other day, but after one day on the regular food, Sirius had white stuff hanging off his mouth again. Have restarted treatment.

Meds: Their tank is salted to 0.2% because of their columnaris issue just over two weeks ago. I had stopped salt around the same time I stopped the Jungle food; have restarted after Sirius showed symptoms again. Angst has had peroxide put on his head twice this past week because of a bright red pustule -- it has died down, though, and now looks just like one of those pimply, my-wen-is-growing marks.

_________

Well, it finally happened -- Chester's giant cyst exploded all over my tank.

As you can see from these blurry-yet-graphic photos, it is extremely gross.

SideViewBig.jpg

FrontView.jpg

Eeuw.

Doesn't that kind of look like one of those big red Launch Missiles At Russia buttons they have in Cold War-era movies?

Eeuw again.

Anyway, I just thought I'd get an opinion as to how to treat.

The fish are all still eating AntiBacterial food -- Their two weeks were up a few days ago, but after one day off the food Sirius' mouth started shredding again, and Angst resumed bottom-sitting, so I started them up on it a second time, and once again they appear to have "recovered."

Because of this, I have continued to keep the tank salted to 0.2% as well.

Angst's head issue has resolved after two applications of peroxide, so that's at least one thing off my plate o' fish illnesses.

I have some BioBandage that I suppose I could tack on Chester, but honestly, since he has already been oozing pus into the tank for who-knows-how-long, I wonder if it would be better to keep it open so at least the salt can clean it out.

Thoughts?

Also, if I just stick a Snoopy Band-Aid on him to cover up the severely nasty red blob, would that... negatively affect his slime coat? ;)

I have no experience on this matter I'm afraid. I hope your fish gets better soon. I've never heard of putting a band aid on fish before. I wouldn't have thought that would be a good idea with their slime coat but like I say I have no experience. Got my fingers crossed for your fish.

Oh, I suppose I'll resist the urge to use the band-aid... I wouldn't want the other goldies to get jealous about Chester's fabulous new accessory. :rofl

I can;t believe the cyst finally burst... How long has this been?! Forever!

Sorry you've still been having soo many problems... Poor babies...

I had constant issues with columnaris coming back and in the end I would up treating with PP and and transferring the fish to a tank with a brand new cycle. It was a pain but it seemed to finally do the trick..

I made some mistakes when I did the PP, but I think I know what went wrong now, so if decide to try it and need any help just let me know..

Other than that, I have little advice, but I AM hoping that everyone gets better!

Also, if I just stick a Snoopy Band-Aid on him to cover up the severely nasty red blob, would that... negatively affect his slime coat? ;)

Hmm.. I don't know about the snoopy ones.. Snoopy bandaids are great for fish with small wounds, but I wouldn't trust them in this case with the burst cyst.. I think if you could find Dora the explorer ones they would be better in this case! :rolleyes:

Can you get some Triple Sulfa meds Minx? Anything with sulfa in will work. I think you need to treat the whole tank and all the fish with a sulfa antibiotic.

I've actually got some already in stock -- after the first time I treated his cyst with it, I decided to always keep it around. Will the salt have to be taken out first?

Chester seems oblivious to the fact that he's oozing everywhere. Hopefully it's a relief to him to have the dumb thing finally exploded. ;)

Yes. It is not needed with an antibiotic. And a full water change will do wonders anyway as you will get rid of a lot of pathogens that have been eliminated from the cyst and are now freeroaming.

Okay, last question, and then I promise I'm done --

No, wait, two questions.

a) Should I take out my shrimp? Before I begin the sulfa treatment, that is?

b) Shoudl I replace my filter inserts, since I suppose hypothetically there might be Cyst Ooze chilling in there as well?

Maybe Chester thinks his oozing free-roaming pathagons are a really cool way to take over the world.

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Greeeeeaaaaat, just what I need, a maniacal goldfish with plans to rule the globe.....

Maybe Chester thinks his oozing free-roaming pathagons are a really cool way to take over the world.

Haha, it sounds like he has little cruise missiles hidden under his slimecoat that he torpedos out at the enemy, maybe he is trying to eliminate the competition after all and wants all the food and tank to himself :lol2

Now I feel really mean and sorry for poor Chester :P

I would remove your shrimp to treat and you can leave the filter stuff in to get treated too. Replace them after treatment. Watch the water params carefully with antibiotics, they do kill off bbs.

Let us all take a minute to thank the Aquarium Gods that I did not have to cut Chester's cyst off with a knife.

::: shudders :::

His horrible bleeding shoulder of bleedingness looked a little bit better today. It's not as huge and rounded; it has flattened out and become sort of ragged. I'd assume he has been scraping it on the filter intake, the poor thing. I hope the Triple Sulfa makes him feel better!! (Also, I hope he doesn't read into this that I'm rewarding him with a super clean tank and more yummy medicated food, just for bursting his Germy Weapon Of Mass Tank Destruction all over the place. Bad Chester. Trying to kill off your tankmates is bad.)

I did a full water change again to get rid of the salt -- I had just done a full change yesterday, and you could tell the fish thought I was a little bit nuts. My folks did as well. ;) -- and added the meds.

The shrimp are in a bucket, being shrimp.

Thanks y'all! Will update as needed. :Jig:

Oh NO!!! Poor Chester. :unsure:

Gross oozing! Sweet description by the way! Do you think the war heads could be sent this way to kill some nitrates or threaten my water company? :rofl2

Keep us posted on the status quo!!!

All righty. Today is the last day of the Triple Sulfa treatment, so sometime this evening I have been instructed by my helpful package to "replace 25% of the water."

Is this the point where I also replace the filter inserts?

Also, my filters have biowheels -- will they be okay, or will they also need to be replaced?

The fish themselves seem to be doing okay -- there have been *two* new batches of eggs while they were being treated, so perhaps sulfa medication puts them in the mood? :rofl

Chester's cyst looks... better. Not perfect, but the red part is much smaller and a much "scabbier" color, like it has dried up.

So hopefully this will have killed everything that might have been released into the tank!

(Also hopefully, it will have killed off the columnaris. They're going off the medicated food tomorrow and I'd hate for the stupid disease to crop up again....)

I am glad to hear things are back on track! :)

I am not positive, but I would think that the triple sulf would have disenfected everything in the tank. That which was NOT in the tank leaves me wondering?

Eggs oh the joys of spring! Spatula-ing the sides and bottom of the tank to get those little suckers out of there is soooo much fun!

As for the meds, I used the triple sulfa in a qt with daily water changes so I am of absolute no use! ;) Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you and your fishies!

Aw, thanks! :)

Yeah, I'm hoping the biowheels will be okay since the Triple Sulfa-ated Water was running all over them. ::: hope hope hope :::

I've started just abandoning the eggs in tank. The shrimp (when they're not in qt because of medication) are really good at getting all but the most tucked-away ones, and if I happen to every once in a while see little swimmers scooting around the tank... well, that's what filters are for. ;)