Sign in to follow this  
RickLaJambe

Tank Re-sealing

I have removed all of the sealant from my tank and I have taped out the seams. I am ready to seal, but I am hesitant to begin. I?m using GE silicone 1 and I remember reading that it gives off ammonia while curing. I have a running tank in the same room with the tank I want to re-seal. Will the airborne ammonia affect the water in my other tank?

I wouldn't worry too much about the ammonia. There are always small amounts of ammonia in the air.

However, all silicone sealers are not equal. GE Silicone will only last about a year. It has a lot of talc as a reinforcing agent for general caulking. However, the talc allows the material to absorb water after it dries in a submerged application. This weakens the bond to the glass.

Aquarium sealer is ridiculously expensive, but it is expensive for a reason. It is designed to do the job.

-steve

GE won't hold up? I read so many comments on this site saying that silicone I was the same as the aquarium sealant, just packaged differently so as to demand a higher price from our niche market. Oh well. Not a big deal. I want a lasting seal so I'll just go to my LFS tomorrow.

'GE silicone II' gives off ammonia, while 'silicone I' gives off acetic acid (vinegar). Apparently, silicone 2 isn't as bad for your health but has slightly less strength. I read at ciclid forums that you can use anything that is labeled "aquarium safe".

Thanks A Penguin. I went out and got the aquarium sealer from my LFS anyways. I'm sure from everything that I've read that silicone 1 is adequate for resealing, but I'm not sure of the longevity now... I don't want to have to reseal the tank again. That was a lot of awkward work razor blading that sealant out!

I got my 65 gal all sealed up now. Now it's waiting on me to make a stand at the steel shop i work at. I'd prefer to have a nice wooden stand, but hey, you use the skills you have, right? Besides, I have my 30 gal on a stand I made 2 years ago and it's rock-solid. I put wooden doors and panelling on the steel frame with decorative hinges, and cupboard door handles. It even gave me a chance to try my hand at wrought-iron working for an accent piece around the bottom of the tank. Then I gave it all a few nice coats of black paint. It turned out very nicely, I think. It looks like I made it, but not in the way that someone looks at it and says "yikes, you made that yourself, huh?"

I think for the 65 I'm going to go a little more bare-bones, and structural looking. I have enough cabinet space in my first stand for all of my equipment, so I think my only decision is whether I need make room for a DIY-sump or not. I think I'll leave that experimentation alone for a while and just get a couple of canisters so I can focus on arranging my fish into more roomy and convenient living arrangements. After all, the hobby stopped being about what I want as soon as I bought the fish. Now they run the show...

Anyone else feel like your fish own you?

I made my own stand out of wood (20 dollars worth of pine 1x4's, I was on a very tight budget). It was my first carpentry project. If I did it again, I know I would do some things differently... but it's sturdy, and that's what matters most. :)

I've managed to meet the fish's needs while doing what I want. I think that as long as one never gets more fish than he has room for, the fish will never run the show...

I made the stand for my 55 gallon aquarium with cement blocks. I took nine cement blocks, stacked them three high and layed a board across the top. It was quick and easy to make and it's rock solid.

Na, my fish don't own me. If they get out of line, I just tell them that I have place on the wall for them. Right next to the Oscar.