Goldfish Vision

Guest goldfishnut

Guest goldfishnut

Hi everyone I'm back and with a silly question, can goldfish see in the dark. I ask because I feel like I'm doing something wrong when I turn out their light before I go to bed at night. Any feed back would be GREAT thanks!

Do them a favor and leave the light off. Most fish will sleep at night, and since they don't have eyelids, turning out the light would help them. It's ok to turn a light on during the day, but they still need some shut-eye.

They need some light but not 24/7. I have mine on in the day when I am home on my goldfish tank. For my planted tanks depending on the tank I have it one at least 8 hours a day.

Goldfish are freshwater fish that usually live in shallow ponds, so they get the normal light/dark cycle. So no, they don't need light 24/7.

They can't see in the dark like a cat or anything, but I don't think it's an issue to turn their lights out at night.

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

Lighting an aquarium is, for a vast majority of the part, for our human satisfaction. It makes the tank prettier and easier for US to see.

As long as goldfish get regular daylight in a room, that's good enough for them. Yes, if you have a planted tank, then you would need to leave lights on longer for the plants, but goldfish don't care. In fact, too much light can stress them.

Leave lights on no more than 4-10 hours. The best schedule is to allow them to enjoy daylight during the day and then turn on the lights when you come home from work or school and leave the lights on through the evening, then turn them out when you go to bed.

I agree, the lights are for ME!! I have mine on timers. They come on in the morning & go off at the time I leave. The tanks get indirect sunlight thru the blinds throughout the day & tank lights automatically turn on when I get home & go off at my bedtime.

I feel it is important that they get regular periods of darkness! I make sure all the house lights are off when we head off to bed so my fish get darkness for sleeping!

I just noticed that my tank lights are off (it's about midday) but it has nice natural lighting because it is right across the room from the picture window. I kinda like the way it looks! Later the timers will kick in a brighten in up!

Edited by Jeana727

I turn the lights on when I wake up and turn them off when I go to bed, so they get like 12-14 hours of light, and its never been a problem, but I wouldnt leave them on over night.