Thinking Of Switching To Tropicals.

I have been thinking about switching to keeping tropical fish and giving up the goldfish. I love them to bits but they are so stressful with illness and stuff and the poo's are just getting bigger and bigger as they grow. lol

I have a 33 Gallon tank that my Goldies are in, I also have a 150watt Fluval tronic heater new in it's box. That tank is cycled. Could I just take out goldfish do a good gravel clean and 80% water change and add some tropicals?

My next question is, as I know absoloutley nothing about tropical fish, what would be best for me to keep to start of with?. Whats the stocking rule of thumb as with teh 10G per goldfish thing, I asume I could fit many more than three tropical fish in my tank. Can anyone point me to xome good reading material so I can research a bit before diving in and killing fish liek I did with my first poor goldfish in his bowl.

The other reason is when we go to the fish shop, my daughter loves to watch the tropical fish, my wife just dosen't like my goldfish at all. She keeps asking me why I don't keep tropical fish as they are much more colourful. Obviously i would have to come with a plan on what to do with teh goldfish. I have som epretty nice one's so hopefully it shouldn't be hard finisng a good home. They won't be going to some uneducated parents that think they would look nice for their kids in a vase. :)

Depends on the tropicals you want to keep. Angelfish need 10 gallons each cause they get big but a guppy needs less.

However don't give up on your goldfish. Maybe you need to keep less in the tank. Like just two and do weekly water changes. But if you have had sick fish and you really want to stop keeping them then I would re-home them and do a complete tank cleaning but leave the good stuff in your filter to seed with.

As far as what to read decide what fish you want to keep them research the fish.

Guppies and Cory cats are great beginner fish. Just remember to stock slowly and you well need at least 6 or 7 Cory cats.

Good luck

Perhaps you could start your daughter on her own tropical tank? Maybe mom could help daughter with it? Then you can keep your goldies. Just an idea...

i just started with tropicals. I have 10 neon teras, 3 Mollys, and now 16 Molly fry. All in a 18 gallon. The fry are going into the 10 gallon soon. Tropicals seem easy but are just as prone to disease(as far as I know), most goldfish disease is common in tropicals as well.

Keep the goldys :please you wont regret it. Once you get em healthy just keep up with the WC, proper feeding, and the goldys will take care of themself :D

Get a 10 gallon on sale and start with tropicals that way. Just get a couple guppies, mollys, tetras, that sort of fish and you will be fine.

:goodluck

Like goldfish a lot of tropical fish are sold as babies so find out how big the tropical fish is going to get before buying them.

Some good tropicals to start with (that stay small) are:

Zebra fish

Cherry barb

White clouds

Guppies

platy

Neon tetra

cardinal tetra

Mollies

Swordtails

black/white skirt tetra

The gallon rule for tropicals is 1 gallon per adult inch. An adult zebra fish can grow to 1.5 inches so a zebra fish should get 1.5 gallons of water. Some fish prefer to be in groups of 5 or more of their own speices. While others are Ok in pairs or trios. Some fish that prefer to be in groups can be aggressive if only 1 or 2 of there speices is kept.

Cichlids are interesting fish. However they can get big. Cichlids are also aggressive fish and some people find this stressful.

I'll second what nick said, he's got some good suggestions. I might take the cardinals and black skirts off the list, but just because tetras can be a little more susceptible to disease and water conditions, and the skirt tetras might get their fins nipped by some of the others on the list, and cardinals can be agressive compared to other tetras.

I'd add cory cats to the list of good starters. They're hardy, very popular right now, clean food debris in the gravel, and they're have good personalities. BTW, whether you do a school of 3 or a school of 7 isn't going to matter much to them.

So yea, if you do decide to give up on goldfish, go to the store w/ that list and see if any of 'em jump out at you. Write down any you or your daughter like so you can research 'em before buying. And pay close attention to adult size of these fish, a lot of tropicals grow a lot bigger than they are when you first buy them.

My sister had a 10 gallon tank for her kids. They got tired of it and didin't take care of it. Her white skirt tetra & pleco lived for months after all the other fish died. Since these fish just wouldn't die she called me and ask me if I would take the fish, aquarium and everything. The white skirt tetra is now living in one of my 20 gallon tanks.

I talked to the wife and we are keeping the Goldfish. Another tank is not really an option at the moment. My Grand Parents have a 20 Gallon Tropical Tank my Daughter get's to see.

My Fish are nice healthy. My little Redcap Oranda gets ill from time to time, I think he was injured from excess amonnia at teh pet store as he was covered in black patches when I got him and he has grown very little in 4 months.

I won't be giving up Koko's, it's to good.

Edited by stalepriest

• 2 weeks later...

Keep the Goldies, they are really enjoyable fish! :) You won't regret keeping them, I keep my goldfish tank at around 70-76 degrees and have had my Goldfish for over 2 years and half now! They are really smart too, I taught mine to eat out of my hand and some are well known to perform tricks too! Do weekly water changes and don't overfeed them.

Guest pruje

I had lots of tropical fish before I got into goldfish. They have fewer requirements than goldfish for the most part (less water volume for example), but I found they seem to die easier.

I had Cichlids several times, mostly Africans. While they do look cool, they don't do much. Cichlids are territorial...once they establish a turf in the tank, they stay there. I liked them because I liked watching them eat. You put a feeder goldfish in there, and they will swarm it like piranha. Yeah, I know, but I was young at the time and this was before I got into goldfish. I would not feed them live food if I had them now.

Piranhas were even more boring. They can be vicious at feeding time (they will easily bite a feeder in half), which is entertaining if you are into that. But the rest of the time, they do nothing. And they will destroy any plants (even plastic ones) in the tank. Piranhas don't swarm like in the movies...I had one in a tank with a Convict cichlid once, and the SMALLER cichlid had him hiding in the corner. Piranha's are kind of wussies as carnivorous fish go, though I had a friend who put an Oscar in his piranha tank once. It didn't last long.

I had Ghost Knives, which look REALLY cool. Ghost knives spend the day hiding behind plants or inside tubes. That is what they do. They are nocturnal, so they are only active at night, when you aren't watching them. They will become a little active to get food, but mostly watching them is only slightly more entertaining than watching grass grow.

Clown knives are a little better...they are basically like Oscars (which I also had). They are more active than Cichlids, but not as much as goldfish. Both are carnivorous and will eat feeders, but they swallow them whole.

Oscars are like more boring versions of Knives. But they are easier to keep than knives. Both knives and Oscares can live together.

My sister has Mollies. These are like less colorful and more boring versions of bettas to me.

I had Colombian Hifins several times, and they do look cool. They are basically catfish that look like sharks. Very easy to keep, but all they do is swim around on the bottom looking for food.

Bettas are fun. Males will do threat displays towards almost anything. Females nowadays are almost as colorful as the males, but much less aggressive, and so can be kept in groups in the same aquarium. nnnn has been selling some very nice females the last few years. They can breed fairly easily (not as easy as guppies)...I bred two in a five gallon aquarium by accident. Only one of the offspring survived. It was cool...unlike goldfish and guppies, even when very young they look like the parents. It looked like a miniature version of the mother, complete with color.

I had Guppies for a while. Fancy guppies breed very easily...almost too easily. They can be fun to watch as well, though I still like goldfish better.

Overall, I have found that tropical fish just don't have the personality I see in goldfish. Fancy goldfish are like unique individuals (not just in looks, but personality-wise as well), but pretty much all Knives or Cichlids or Oscars or even guppies are interchangable IMO. Also, most tropical fish (especially guppies and Bettas) will not live that long. Goldfish can live deades, but guppies last about 2 years tops.

The easiest freshwater aquatic pet I have ever owned are fiddler crabs. They are fun to watch (like male bettas sort of...they do dances to threaten other crabs or attract females), and once you get their basic conditions stable they are impossible to kill. I have a few living in a goldfish tank...they get along with goldfish, bettas and guppies very well.

Edited by pruje