Sign in to follow this  
Hidr

I So Want One Of These.

Lynda, I still think they are Shonai. Bristols have more substance in the tail and the dorsal and other fins are not as long. I will ask Tom to have a look at them.

-steve

Well, as I wasn't able to actually find any pictures of Shonai, I definitely didn't have anything to compare the description to, so it's certainly possible!

I am just going to put out there that the website calls them Bristol Shubunkins. Actually it calls them the "Improved Bristol Shubunkin." It's in Japanese so I would assume that if they were Shounai then the website would have said "shounai" not "Bristol Shubunkin" Just my :twocents

Edited by ryukin girl

Aww they look like they're wearing flamenco dresses... Let's call them flamencos :wub:

Aww they look like they're wearing flamenco dresses... Let's call them flamencos :wub:

:rofl

cute :heart

:rofl

cute :heart

I second this name! ..... or third it?

Well, I told a huge lie. Sorry about that. I had the obscure Japanese varieties mixed up and those are not Shonai, but Jyokko.

Here is what Tom had to say:

"Steve those are Jyokko, bred in Japan by Tamakin's friend who uses the internet name Tinkerbell. Jyokko was discussed briefly on Goldfish Shack (about trying to import some, also photos) and also Raffles Gold. I tried to connect with Michio about importing some but he has not responded for months now. But I'm glad to see the buzz about them, sooner or later they will be shipped over. My understanding is they are a Bristol spin-off.

Tom"

Lynda, you were more correct than I because he thinks they are a Bristol spin-off.

-steve

These ones are more vigorous (although to be fair, the first vid above shows fish that seem to be stressed from being entered in a fish show while these calicos are obviously in an established tank)

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/-14-love...cid=VIDURVPET02

maybe i'm :wacko: , but isn't that the same video as the one on post #1?

LOL. You're right. I ended up quoting the same URL but I was actually referring to one of the linked videos. Sorry. My bad. :P

good to know that i'm not crazy! :)

Well, I will admit that they do have much more fluffy tails than standard bristols, but yep, the pics do look more like this styling; the jyokko.

If you look at those videos, the albinos have the most perfect bristol tail styling and the violet shubunkin is a little fluffy, but it's still more bristol-y looking than the others with those really fluffy tails, who, apparently, are jyokko. But, the thing that pulls jyokko back to the bristol is if you were to spread out those big fluffy tails, you'd see the heart shape.

But, it sure looks like there's a lot of buzz about this new fish! And it looks like there's a group trying to get some imported here, so..........

This link is to another forum which shows a lot of pictures of a lot of new single tails. Tamasaba, shonai, jyokko. Really rather helpful. KoiShack Discussion

I have a Tamasaba! I didn't know they were a "new variety"!!! Maybe I should collect them :)

wow they're really pretty! They look like comets with really long fins!!!

More like Commons in their Prom Dresses!! :exactly I want one (or three!)

HEY! I saw a fish like that in that really bad pet store near here. That what it looked like to me, a comet.

Oh...i think I am in love :)

But where could one get these fish? (only dreaming.... :) )

I love goldfish with long flowing fins, they remind me of flowers.

Ugh! :heart:heart