Sign in to follow this  
RedTiger

Red Peppers

We've got red peppers. Can I share them with Swimmey & Speedie? (both are black moore goldfish.)

Good idea! I am looking forward to the answer as well! :D

Red peppers as in red bell peppers? I always put those in my gel food recipe when I make it. My fish love it.

great! i'll cook some and give them to them thursday (when they are on break from anti-parasite food)

I sometimes get yellow and red looks cool in there food :lol

i was going to ask about orange and yellow peppers next bc those are my favs! now, i dont have to. thanks!

No hot peppers, though.

I know you read it, but I'm puttin' in my :twocents here as well, so I'll just re-post my answer from the other thread just in case others didn't see it! :D

"Red [bell] peppers are even more excellent than green [bell] peppers. Green bell peppers are just a less mature form of red bell peppers, so the extra maturation time allows red peppers to accumulate higher levels of some nutrients. For example, red peppers have more than twice as much vitamin C as green peppers. Red peppers have eight times as much beta-carotene as green peppers and red peppers supply seven times as much beta-cryptoxanthin, another carotenoid, as well as some lycopene. On the other hand, green peppers do have more carotenoid lutein than red peppers."

Bell peppers are first green, then yellow, then orange, then red, so any maturation level of bell peppers past green will contain more and more nutrients.

say whaaaat? green bell peppers and yellow, orange, and red are the same thing? :doh11:

Thanks Lynda Von G!! I didn't know that! :blush:

I know you read it, but I'm puttin' in my :twocents here as well, so I'll just re-post my answer from the other thread just in case others didn't see it! :D

"Red [bell] peppers are even more excellent than green [bell] peppers. Green bell peppers are just a less mature form of red bell peppers, so the extra maturation time allows red peppers to accumulate higher levels of some nutrients. For example, red peppers have more than twice as much vitamin C as green peppers. Red peppers have eight times as much beta-carotene as green peppers and red peppers supply seven times as much beta-cryptoxanthin, another carotenoid, as well as some lycopene. On the other hand, green peppers do have more carotenoid lutein than red peppers."

Bell peppers are first green, then yellow, then orange, then red, so any maturation level of bell peppers past green will contain more and more nutrients.

wow! now how did you learn that about the peppers!! my FAVS are the yellow/orange. i can barely tell a difference in the taste. the green are the most bitter, then red and yellow/orange are so sweet tasting. yyuuuummmmmm.

HHHEEEYYYYY--- why does the grocery store charge double for the orange & yellow, since they are just a different maturation of the others? that's messed up!

Edited by RedTiger

wow! now how did you learn that about the peppers!! my FAVS are the yellow/orange. i can barely tell a difference in the taste. the green are the most bitter, then red and yellow/orange are so sweet tasting. yyuuuummmmmm.

HHHEEEYYYYY--- why does the grocery store charge double for the orange & yellow, since they are just a different maturation of the others? that's messed up!

It;s the same reason they charge more for larger eggs. The colored bell peppers spend a longer amount of time on the plant ripening and maturing then the green ones. This is time that new peppers could be growing there instead.

It;s the same reason they charge more for larger eggs. The colored bell peppers spend a longer amount of time on the plant ripening and maturing then the green ones. This is time that new peppers could be growing there instead.

well that makes sense, except red peppers sell for the same price as the green peppers so the red peppers should cost the most and if you go by the "double the price" scale, then they should be $7.99/lb. (Green=$1.99/lb, Red=$1.99/lb, Orange=$3.99/lb & Yellow=$3.99/lb.)

maybe peppers are cheaper where you live. are they? :)

No that's about right except our red peppers cost more. About the same as the yellow and orange.

Very interesting, even though I dont like them and they dont like me.....Great info on the different types didnt know that :o

Yeah, our colorful bell peppers cost more than our green bell peppers. It's all that designer Hollywood she-she thing.... And, even though California is one of the foremost crop producers in America, it still has the worst and most expensive veggies and fruit I've ever seen.... go figure.....

then i'm confused why our red peppers are the same as our green peppers. everything here is SO much more expensive than the rest of the continental US (less CA as we are equal). maybe the red peppers were on sale, then. i'll check next week. (i usually buy orange/yellow bc i like the taste better.)

maybe someday i'll make gel food but not for now. :)