Goldfish And Lettuce

RedTiger

so i went to KFC and got a side salad. i was all thrilled as I had visions of feeding our black moore goldfishes the lettuce. sure, its iceberg but its better than nothing! i called them to dinner and they both came running (or swimming, as it were). when i held the lettuce in, Swimmey swam away. Speedie attempted to eat it but was unsuccessful. i broke it in pieces. Swimmey was still completely uninterested. Speedie attempted to eat some but it didn't go well.

Is there a trick to making the lettuce a success?

Well with most veggies you want to cook them slightly. But lettuce really doesn't have much in the way of nutrition, I'd recommend spinach or brocolli. They tend to really love those! I just cook them until they are soft and feed them that way.

Chrissy :exactly

and actually nothing is better than iceberg lettuce b/c iceberg has very little to no nutritional value. ;) hey, but at least you are aware of feeding your babies fresh veggies!! :thumb:

It's possible that this fish just doesn't like veggies.

I have 3 bigger goldfish around 6-8 inches and sometime I'll feed them whole red worms. Two of the goldfish gobble them right up. But one will take the worm into it's mouth, then spit it out and shake it's head like worm was just the grossest thing ever. Then won't touch it again. Some goldfish just don't like certain foods.

cooked lettuce. yuck, i didnt think of that. yes, iceberg lettuce is not that nutritous but its what KFC gave me. :) he might not like the lettuce, true. it took him a while to eat the peas and i think he only ate them bc he was really hungry. we dont like brocolli or spinach so if i bought them, they would go to waste before the fish could eat them. i was thinking of giving them peppers, though. :)

I never give my goldfish veggies. They never see lettuce, brocolli, spinach or peppers in the wild. If you really think that they need veggies in addition to what they get in their pellets or flakes buy a water plant that goldfish are known for eating. That way you won't have to worry about the veggies fouling the water and removing it. Just drop in a water plant and let then eat on it until it's gone. Then drop in another one.

I never give my goldfish veggies. They never see lettuce, brocolli, spinach or peppers in the wild. If you really think that they need veggies in addition to what they get in their pellets or flakes buy a water plant that goldfish are known for eating. That way you won't have to worry about the veggies fouling the water and removing it. Just drop in a water plant and let then eat on it until it's gone. Then drop in another one.

Just FYI, sorry to burst your bubble, but goldfish the way we know them as really don't exist in the wild. They've been specifically domesticated and bred over hundreds if not thousands of years. So, that's kind of like saying you shouldn't feed your Cocker Spaniel chicken-based kibble because a cocker spaniel doesn't encounter chickens in the wild. Wild carp do eat vegetable matter in the way of naturally occurring plants, so veggies like broccoli and such are a perfectly acceptable addition to a fancy goldfishes diet. "Wild" goldfish also never see commercially-produced pellets, so does that mean we shouldn't use them to feed our fish? Of course not. Your suggestion of putting in a water plant and letting them eat that is a great suggestion though. Goldfish love stuff like duckweed, java moss and water sprite, which is cheap (if not being given away by the handful) and fast growing.

My fish don't like lettuce either, but they are CRAZY about broccoli. You might have to try a few different things if you want to find out what they like. Or just chuck a bunch of whatever into a gel food recipe - they'll love it and never even know what it is!

cooked lettuce. yuck, i didnt think of that. yes, iceberg lettuce is not that nutritous but its what KFC gave me. :) he might not like the lettuce, true. it took him a while to eat the peas and i think he only ate them bc he was really hungry. we dont like brocolli or spinach so if i bought them, they would go to waste before the fish could eat them. i was thinking of giving them peppers, though. :)

The idea is to "think dark." The darker green the veggie, the better it is. Leafy veggies such as spinach, kale, collard greens, mustard greens, arugula, chicory, dandelion greens and swiss chard are excellent sources of fiber, folate and a wide range of carotenoids such as lutein and zeaxanthin, along with saponins and flavonoids. Secondary options are, parsley, turnip greens, romaine lettuce, endive, bok choy and brussel sprouts. And of course, seaweed is also excellent. And these are just the leafy veggies. There are also the other good veggies like peppers, broccoli, garlic, pumpkin, zucchini, carrots and on and on. And don't forget fruits! Look for high fiber and vitamin rich.

I don't like, nor eat, broccoli or spinach and I don't even know what kale and mustard greens and collard greens are used for!!! .... spank me! I don't eat my veggies..... but, I'm the grown up! lol! Okay, <whispering> here's what I do.... I buy a veggie I DO eat; "regular" lettuce, green pepper, celery, whatever, and I find a small piece of a leaf of a desired veggie that's fallen or hanging off and tuck it in the bag with the other veggies. Not exactly completely honest, but c'mon, one little fragment of one leaf? Who lost what? OR.... I buy the broccoli from the section that has the precut pieces for stir fry. They're small and you can get away with buying only two or three tiny pieces. Then, there is the option of freezing. If you can't buy small quantities, freeze the rest. I have several tiny pieces of broccoli in a bag in the freezer as we speak! Freezing can also act as a "blanching" option and "pre-mushes" your veggies for feeding as well! And, you can buy several of the leafy veggies to chop up into the best gel food on the planet! Mine uses kale, collard greens and parsley (among many other things) and it's heavenly!

I completely agree with everything chloe said. And, extremely well-worded I might add! Dried up, processed food, no matter what's in it, simply cannot have the nutrition that fresh foods do. Processed food is processed food, whether human or fish, and it never will have the nutrients that fresh does. I never give my fish anything that's been processed. It's full of gas and air and my fish don't need that and I have no idea what kind of protein, vitamins and minerals are in it, regardless of what's on the label. When I feed fresh, I know EXACTLY what they're getting and they're better for it.

lettuce can mess up your water.... just a warning if you do chose to feed lettuce and notice that your water clarity is yucky afterwards.

Anything you put in your tank will mess up your water, including processed food pellets and flakes. You just gotta make sure you remove any bits and pieces and uneaten parts as well as you can after you determine they're done eating (or not eating! lol!).

And, as far as whether they eat it, they're just as picky as we are or our dog Sparky! I've had goldies where one will eat something and the other won't, but then he won't eat something where the other will. And, just like us, sometimes they need to learn to like their veggies. At first, my babies looked at broccoli like, "You are NOT serious! What IS this crap?! I am NOT eating this!!!" And now....... they devour it like they've been starved for a week!

Anything you put in your tank will mess up your water, including processed food pellets and flakes. You just gotta make sure you remove any bits and pieces and uneaten parts as well as you can after you determine they're done eating (or not eating! lol!).

i'm not just talking about simply messing up water quality because of uneaten food. The owner of a LFS of whom i trust entirely told me he thinks its silly that people feed their goldfish lettuce. I'm not trying to make people feel "bad" whom already do, and i forgot exactly what he was talking about but he mentioned something to the extant of: the addition of lettuce aids in the creation of some sort of bacteria or chemical which creates a substance that completely clouds the water. I forget the specific details but I will ask him so i can let you guys know.

Just FYI, sorry to burst your bubble, but goldfish the way we know them as really don't exist in the wild. They've been specifically domesticated and bred over hundreds if not thousands of years.

I know that goldfish the way we know them today don't exist in the wild.

All our goldfish came from the Crucian Carp (Carassius auratus). During the Tsin Dynasty (265-419 AD) a few red-scaled fish were observed in China. I wasn't until the Sung Dynasty (960-1279 AD) that an orange Crucian Carp was discovered. Then they started raising them in ponds and the domestication of goldfish began.

In 1502 goldfish were first introduced to Japan.

Around 1590 the first fantails were devoloped.

In 1621 the first transparent scaled varieties were developed.

In 1726 the first goldfish lacking the dorsal fin.

In 1794 goldfish were introduced into Britain.

Around 1800 the Ryukin and Ranchu were devoloped.

In 1878 goldfish were introduced into the United States.

Around 1873 were veiltails were devoloped.

Around 1880 comets were devoloped.

Around 1900 the shubunken were devoloped

So, that's kind of like saying you shouldn't feed your Cocker Spaniel chicken-based kibble because a cocker spaniel doesn't encounter chickens in the wild. Wild carp do eat vegetable matter in the way of naturally occurring plants, so veggies like broccoli and such are a perfectly acceptable addition to a fancy goldfishes diet.

Yep, carp eat vegetable matter in the way of naturally occurring plants and you go fishing and catch then with corn. Feed them veggies if you want to but it will foul the water if you leave it in too long.

Just FYI, sorry to burst your bubble, but goldfish the way we know them as really don't exist in the wild. They've been specifically domesticated and bred over hundreds if not thousands of years.

I know that goldfish the way we know them today don't exist in the wild.

All our goldfish came from the Crucian Carp (Carassius auratus). During the Tsin Dynasty (265-419 AD) a few red-scaled fish were observed in China. I wasn't until the Sung Dynasty (960-1279 AD) that an orange Crucian Carp was discovered. Then they started raising them in ponds and the domestication of goldfish began.

In 1502 goldfish were first introduced to Japan.

Around 1590 the first fantails were devoloped.

In 1621 the first transparent scaled varieties were developed.

In 1726 the first goldfish lacking the dorsal fin.

In 1794 goldfish were introduced into Britain.

Around 1800 the Ryukin and Ranchu were devoloped.

In 1878 goldfish were introduced into the United States.

Around 1873 were veiltails were devoloped.

Around 1880 comets were devoloped.

Around 1900 the shubunken were devoloped

So, that's kind of like saying you shouldn't feed your Cocker Spaniel chicken-based kibble because a cocker spaniel doesn't encounter chickens in the wild. Wild carp do eat vegetable matter in the way of naturally occurring plants, so veggies like broccoli and such are a perfectly acceptable addition to a fancy goldfishes diet.

Yep, carp eat vegetable matter in the way of naturally occurring plants and you go fishing and catch then with corn. Feed them veggies if you want to but it will foul the water if you leave it in too long.

Thanks for the long-winded history lesson, but I think you missed my point. There's nothing wrong with feeding vegetables to our goldfish - you make it sound like it's unnatural.

And yes, veggies can foul the water if left in too long. So can uneaten flakes and pellets.

So can un-siphoned fish poop. Everything in the water makes it go foul. Even the fish. That's why we do water changes.....

lettuce can mess up your water.... just a warning if you do chose to feed lettuce and notice that your water clarity is yucky afterwards.

ohhhh.... can uneaten lettuce give off ammonia? mine's been slowly increasing and i didnt take out all the uneaten lettuce. i thought they could nibble on it, like they would a plant.

((snipped))Your suggestion of putting in a water plant and letting them eat that is a great suggestion though. Goldfish love stuff like duckweed, java moss and water sprite, which is cheap (if not being given away by the handful) and fast growing.

My fish don't like lettuce either, but they are CRAZY about broccoli. You might have to try a few different things if you want to find out what they like. Or just chuck a bunch of whatever into a gel food recipe - they'll love it and never even know what it is!

thanks to the fishys, we are eating healthier too! i bought stuff to make salad and will be sharing that with them. i sure hope that they like red peppers and romaine lettuce.

i dont have time to make gel food right now, so they have to get "ready made" or "easy to serve" foods.

Yes, decaying plant matter will mess up your cycle. But, if you truly have a cycle the added mess of a few pieces of lettuce shouldn't cause an increase......I don't think you have a steady cycle..... :unsure:

I am not sure if red peppers are ok for goldfish. I *know* that green peppers are......I guess just see if they like them. :idont

ohhhh.... can uneaten lettuce give off ammonia? mine's been slowly increasing and i didnt take out all the uneaten lettuce. i thought they could nibble on it, like they would a plant.

any uneaten food that begins to decay will give off ammonia and phosphates.

i really wonder if having high nitrates out of tap makes it hard to have a real cycle. since the goal is to get nitrates to consume the nitrites, who consume the ammonia -- how are the nitrite consumers to grow if there's so many nitrate consumers in the tank already? as soon as the nitrite consumers come out, the nitrate consumers are there to take them away. is that correct?

Actually the nitrAtes and nitrItes don't do the consuming. There are two bacterium (nitrosomonas and nitrobacter) that do that! Having nitrAte out of the tap shouldn't inhibit the cycle. I think...I am really confused.....

The Cycle:

............produce.....................by way of..........converted.....................by way of...............converted..............by way of..................converted

Goldfish -----------> Ammonia (nitrobacters) -------------> NitrIte (nitrosomonas) -------------> NitrAte (plants/water changes) ------------> oxygen/nothing

Ok I have successfully confused myself even more........ :wacko:

yeah, me too, LOL!

i was thinking in order to get to optium # of bacteria that consumes the nitrates, you'd need a specific # of bacteria that consumes the nitrites. UNLESS, your tap has high nitrates, then you dont need the nitrate consumers so how are you to get the others under control, unless its not necessary?

okay that was probably even more confusing. well it makes sense in my head but not on paper. :krazy:

Actually the nitrAtes and nitrItes don't do the consuming. There are two bacterium (nitrosomonas and nitrobacter) that do that! Having nitrAte out of the tap shouldn't inhibit the cycle. I think...I am really confused.....

The Cycle:

............produce.....................by way of..........converted.....................by way of...............converted..............by way of..................converted

Goldfish -----------> Ammonia (nitrobacters) -------------> NitrIte (nitrosomonas) -------------> NitrAte (plants/water changes) ------------> oxygen/nothing

:) hey sarah, i think your diagram may have been a little bit confusing for some. i'm just going to repost it in a different format with a few additions. ;)

The Cycle:

Goldfish produce Ammonia ----> Nitrobacters convert the Ammonia to NitrIte ----> Nitrosomonas convert the NitrIte to NitrAte ----> plants, water changes, anaerobic denitrifying bacteria convert the NitrAte to gaseous Nitrogen/Oxygen/"nothing"

aquarium_nitrogen_cycle.jpg

Photo Credit: Ilmari Karonen

as nick11380 stated, the bacteria are producing the nitrites and nitrates, with nitrates being the end product.

nitrates are removed via water changes, plants or anaerobic denitrifying bacteria.

with goldfish tanks, the best method i've found so far is checking water parameters and keeping up with routine water changes.

Because of the heavy load of ammonia produced by goldfish, a large quantity of plants would be needed in order to keep the nitrates down.

I've seen anaerobic denitrifying bacteria containers on bigals and other pet stores recently that you can use to help control nitrates.

I don't have any myself and contemplated purchasing one, but they're a bit pricey and look to require a bit of maintenance.

Not sure how efficient they are. :) Looks interesting though!

Yeah, you can't let fresh foods sit in your tank too long. Ugh! Have you ever felt a piece of broccoli or pepper, whatever, the next morning?! Slimy! I don't leave it in overnight anymore! It comes out just a couple hours after I give it to 'em!

Yes, decaying plant matter will mess up your cycle. But, if you truly have a cycle the added mess of a few pieces of lettuce shouldn't cause an increase......I don't think you have a steady cycle..... :unsure:

I am not sure if red peppers are ok for goldfish. I *know* that green peppers are......I guess just see if they like them. :idont

Red peppers are even more excellent than green peppers. Green bell peppers are just a less mature form of red bell peppers, so the extra maturation time allows red peppers to accumulate higher levels of some nutrients. For example, red peppers have more than twice as much vitamin C as green peppers. Red peppers have eight times as much beta-carotene as green peppers and red peppers supply seven times as much beta-cryptoxanthin, another carotenoid, as well as some lycopene. On the other hand, green peppers do have more carotenoid lutein than red peppers.

The Cycle:

Go sit in the corner!!!!

Edited by daryl
Language