Packaged Plants From nnnn

Guest kscoleman

Guest kscoleman

Has anyone tried the packaged plants for sale at the big chain stores? They are in a see through plastic container in a rectangular box shape. The roots are in a clear gel (for root protection and feeding I assume.) that needs to be washed off before planting them in your tank. They say they are snail free. I am wondering if they would be less likely to carry parasites and disease since they aren't actually in water. I am new to plants, so next time I am there I will make sure they are truely aquatic plants for sale.

Usually Pet*Co has those, but they are risky.... just make sure to rinse the plant very well. I think your local fish store that is not a big company will have better plants, but they might be much more expensive.

I've actually gotten a couple of those from PetDumb -- a Java fern, I think, and two or three little anubias... anubis... anubes? Whatever. Those ones with the sort of heart-shaped leaves.

Anyway, they all turned out just fine! The gel washed out easily, I soaked them in a bucket of water overnight just to let the roots open up a little before dropping them in the tank, and they've lasted... almost nine months, now, and are growing like crazy!

I've gotten them before too. you need to know what each plant is before you buy it b/c the ones at pets mart are not labled and a few of them actually are not aquatic plants. also, the employees do not pay that much attention to them and some of the plants could be brown and dying (something I've seen on quite a few occasions). and good luck! either my plants were eaten up in a hurry or they died b/c I do not have a green thumb for aquatic plants! :P

As previously stated, it is important when buying the packaged plants to:

1. Make sure it's an aquatic plant and

2. Check to make sure you're getting a plant that isn't half dead.

Also, before purchasing any live plants, it's also a good idea to research it to learn about the care it will need. Plants will need good lighting and possible additives to your water. :) Otherwise, plants are fun to have! They definitely make the tank look very vibrant.