New Corals With Pics

Fishguy2727

I just wanted to share some pics of some of my new corals. The first is a rock covered in zoanthids, note the mussel on the left side.

IMG_0987.jpg

Here are a couple close ups of the same piece:

IMG_1006.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

And here is a shot of the same piece under just the actinic LEDs:

IMG_1027.jpg

Love those pics. I'm so jealous. I did get adventurous and buy my own rock with live stuff on it from the lfs. I've got green stuff(algae I assume since the blenny is eating it), six mushroom corals, a poylp and some pinkist/purple growth that could be coral. I didn't ask alot of question concerning what was on it. All I knew is that I like it, it was only $20 and I didn't need a bucket to get it home. Right now everything seems to be doing well. Although, I discovered a second poylp underneath the rock and I'm trying to figure out how to remove it without hurting it or the rest of the rock. The rock is only about six/seven inches long and a couple inches thick at it's thickest point. If anyone has a suggestion I'd be grateful.

The pink purple stuff is probably coralline algae.

Actually if the live rock is already cured it is best to transport it home completely submerged in a bucket, but most people don't do this.

If you google 'mushroom propagation' you should be able to get some info about how to move that one.

The pink purple stuff is probably coralline algae.

Actually if the live rock is already cured it is best to transport it home completely submerged in a bucket, but most people don't do this.

If you google 'mushroom propagation' you should be able to get some info about how to move that one.

They did bag it with water from the tank it was in. I do have another question for you. Do poylps move? Because my lfs told me that one of the items on the rock was a polyp. I looked on liveaquaria.com and it sort of looks like a long polyp leather and it's smaller then a dime. But this thing has moved twice? The second time it was within a couple of hours. I'm not kidding. I thought you had to shave them off with a rasor blade to move them to another spot? So is it something else?

Any pics of that mystery coral? A lot of them look VERY similar, especially at that size. I know a lot of them don't move, but I think some of them do, can't remember for sure. It is not an anemone, right?

Thanks.

Sorry, I don't even have a camera and at that size I don't even know how good the pictures would be if I did have one. I asked the guy at the lfs if it was an anemone and he said 'no' but you can't always trust what the employee say, now can we? At that size it could pass as either. It's mostly tan but just a fraction below the tip of the arms is a lighter area. When I saw it in the lfs it was just near the edge of the rock, on the backside but to me it appear like it was stretched out like on a neck. Once I got it home I didn't observe that behavior so I don't know if I imagined it or if it's just choosing not to stretch out.

I just find another polyp on the way backside where it would be in the dark in my tank. So I shaved it off with part of the rock. I was surprised at how easy I was able to do that. I don't have it glued to anything but it is resting on top of another rock in the tank. I've seen no activity from it yet.

Edited by shubunkin lover