New 7 Neon Tetras!

jody

I just brought home 7 of these little guys. One was a jumper from another tank, I found him all by himself with some other tropical fish right beside the tetra tank, lol.

So I snatched him and six other buggers and now I am home. I think I left the LFS with a broken up school but I will be back for more :)

I have this empty 18 Gallon with 225gph and fully cycled and I didnt want a sole goldfish for it so I opted for some tropicals, hence the tetras, love the colors :D

Just adjusting them now. Any tips guys let me know :)

DIGI0104.jpg

Oh, dey r tho preddyyyyyy. Do they glow in the dark, too? Foster & Smith has those "moon glow" lights (coral). I had tetras when I was a kid. I loved them, because they were small, like I was.

No, tetras don't glow. If you get a blacklight its a cool affect, but they need normal light too. Moonlights I don't think do anything as far as the colors go.

Congrats on the new fish. Are you getting more neons or something else?

Had em as a kid too :) Loved em then love em now. Just fed em a pinch. I think one is dying, I cant find him anywhere. Last I saw him he was alone in a corner, not with the school at all. His colors are off too, me thinks he is a goner, morning will tell.

Haven't decided on what else to get. I guess you can smoosh more of these guys in a tank eh? Not as much mess.

These guys dont glow in the dark, I turned the light out and you can't see them. They look really cool under the hood light though :)

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

Anybody know the required GPH for these guys? I think for tropicals it is like 100-150gph for 20- Gallons? I have an 18 Gallon. With seven tetras, looking to add a few more other guys.

Tropicals are good at 6-8 times the size of the tank. So a 20 gallon should have 120 to 160 gph, more or less depending on how stocked your tank is and how frequently you do water changes.

I love my neons too :) and they're getting huge, they're more like an inch and a half now. And they're always my first indicator that something might be a bit off with the water as suddenly they aren't as active. I do a gravel vac and 30% water change once a week and then another small water change midweek to freshen things up and I think they appreciate it :)

Thanks guys!

This is my first tropical tank since 1987. We had guppies then and they bred like crazy.

I have the GPH at 225 right now between two filters. I gathered from my LFS that I don't have to be as aggressive with the WC as the goldys? Like 30% weekely?

I added three Mollys yesterday. They are so cute :) One is pregnant big time. Thats enough for that tank now I think, 7 neon tetras and 3 mollys.

I would get more neons. They show more natural behavior when you have a lot of them. So you could keep like 4 or 5 more at adult size.

Also be sure to add live plants and not to bright lighting.

Good Luck

No for tropicals you don't need to do as frequent/large waterchanges, in general. Of course if you're overstocked, etc you have to do more. I only do about 25-30% once a week and then probably every 4th time I'll move all the deco and do 50% because my tank is heavily planted and a lot of debris tends to build up on the bottom.

Thanks for your responses guys!!

Here's some shots:

DIGI0120.jpg

My preganant molly

the others:

DIGI0121.jpg

Will be getting more tetras and plants soon. Thanks for the WC advice, I needed that :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard that these little buggers can catch a disease called, Neon Tetra Disease. Symptoms include: curved spine, loss of coloration and difficulty swimming. The disease is incurable and also contagious, so if any of your tetras do catch that disease, you should take him/her out.

• 1 year later...