Hydor Ario Turbo Air Pumps

Lynda sorry to hear it finally stopped working for good. I think what you were describing definitly was a problem with the impeller and or spinning mechanism and not just some debris lodging itself in there. What I did with the plastic piece is just flipped it upside down, the bubbles that come out are more concentrated and don't spread as much but it leaves no place for the goldies to spit gravel into to stop up the spinning thing. I hope the new ario they send you works without problem.... I feel bad even for reccommending it now a couple months ago... I had always thought Hydor was a trusted company. Who knows maybe you just got one of the few faulty products :( . good luck with the new one and let us know how it works out.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, no, no! It was I who brought up the idea of getting these and my mind really was made up to get them regardless of what anyone said. Despite the troubles, I love the compactness and the kind of bubbles this product makes! It's wonderful!

When I cleaned the tank yesterday, I took out the pumps to send back. I took them apart and dried them and made sure to check for any gravel inside and I didn't find anything.

They were sent off today. The guy should get them back maybe Thursday and he'll send replacements right away, so I should have new ones by next week sometime.

I'll let you know how the new ones work. Fins crossed!

Okay, here's the latest on this and I'm starting to get mad now.

So, I pull out my pumps, clean 'em up and return them. I checked them very carefully and there was no gravel stuck in them anywhere.

The guy notifies me that he's received the pumps and that he's set them up in his tank to see how they work. "I'm so glad I went to all the trouble of cleaning them up so nice," she said sarcastically....... anyway.

This was two days ago. He just emailed me and told me they're working just fine (it figures) and he can't replace them until I can explain to him, to his satisfaction, how and why they weren't working. I sent him emails over a 15-day period giving him a day-to-day account of each problem as it occurred. I don't know what else he wants.

I've tried to nicely explain to him that, if I were to return a product to any physical store near me, they wouldn't say, "well, we first need to set up the product and let it run for a week or so to see whether your claims are true before we decide whether to replace the product or give you a refund." No, they'd give you a replacement or a refund immediately, no questions asked. Apparently, this part of doing business isn't in his business strategy plan. He did say, though, that he could give me a refund. I told him I've given him all the information I have and I don't want to drag this on and on while debating the issue, so if he won't replace the pumps until I give him more information, I guess I have no option but to have him give me a refund. He'd better not drag that out or I'm going to have to file a complaint with Amazon. ggrrr.......

He's suggesting that burying them in gravel stops them from working. And it wasn't whether gravel got stuck in the pump. It was just that they won't run if they're buried. Period.

Now, this can't be right because the pumps stopped working if I handled them in free water. AND, when I got the first one, I just set it in the tank, on top of the gravel for two days before I had a chance to set up the cords and tubing and bury everything properly.

But, regardless, just for the point of it all, have any of you buried your pumps in gravel? If so, have they worked or not?

Edited by Lynda Von G

No one else seems to have had this significant of problems and even the guy I bought mine from says he can't, for the life of him, make those pumps not work, which absolutely baffles me because, when I had them, almost literally barely more than a breath was all it took to make them stop working. I'm frustrated beyond belief.

Well, I've asked for my refund, so I'll be ordering different pumps from a different vendor, hopefully soon, but it all depends on whether I get more guff from this vendor. I'll let you know.

I wish more people who have used and are using them now would get on and say something! I know they're out there! Stick... I'm looking for my stick..... don't make me find my stick....!

Okay. Well, I just got confirmation of the refund. The guy did truly seem nice. He didn't really seem to be a scammer, but there were still just too many games played. Anyway.

So, I went online to try to find other pumps as replacements. The thought did stick in my head about the depth issue, despite the fact I was running the 2s 1 1/2 inches less than their maximum, so I decided to look at 3s, which have 2 more inches in depth. I found 3s for over $4 less than I paid for the 2s and the shipping is less as well! Fish.com if anyone is interested......

I chose standard shipping, which means 7-10 days, so the waiting game continues as I wait, hoping that these will be better.

• 2 weeks later...

yikes! I'm terribly sorry for the trouble you had w/ your arios! :(

I know I'm way late on this, but I didn't have the same kind of issue as you were having. my issue was just the noise the ario would make at first, when it was brand new, and too close to the tank sides. after having it a few months it was no longer noisy and I could put it anywhere in the tank. I haven't been using mine for quite some time now, since Gabe had passed. but I'm pretty sure yours were faulty somehow. I am glad that you were able to get a refund. did you buy new arios or a different brand but similar model? and are they working for you now?