Hydor Ario Turbo Air Pumps

i'm glad you pointed that out because i didn't trim mine either, with the same thing in mind! :D

now i will go home and make sure to snip off the extra tubing. :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so happy! :Jig:

Hydor finally sent me an email!! Their US branch is up and running so if anyone needs to contact them they are available! (Although the contact form is still in Italian. :teehee )

wowwwwwwwwwwwww I love this gadget so much!! It was easy to assemble and my goldies love swimming in the volcano of bubbles. The blue light looks amazing at night , as it illuminates the bubbles. Guys maybe since they didn't use to have a U.S. branch the instructions were different... but in mine it definitely pointed out to cut the air intake tube at a length no more than an inch or so above the tank level.

My tank is now a bubble world- 2 23" bubble wands hooked up to a whisper 100 air pump, 2 dragons blowing bubbles out of their noses from a whisper 40 and now and by far my favorite the hydor ario 4 with blue LED lights :):D

Ohhhhh.... I want one soooo bad! But, dang! I just can't afford one right now.... but, I'm promising my kids.... someday they'll have one!

4 cm = 1.6 in, so that sounds like they're cutting it off at just about the right length....

here are some pics of the hydor ario 4 (obviously with blue light) at night creating blue flames of bubbles

102_0610.jpg

and here is my nigel in the blue mist :)

102_0609.jpg

yea for the price it is certainly worth it when you think about it. You get an awsome internal air supply system with a really cool LED attachment and all other parts included for most likely less than the price of buying an external air pump and air stones/wands/tubing etc... Also I used pet mountain for the shipping and they were right on point with their delivery so i would certainly recommend them as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered an Ario 4, no LED for ?10 of ebay. I am sick of the humming from my air pump and so is my wife lol. Looking forward to getting this, only thing I hope the power cord reaches my sockets. They look really nice.

Well I got my Ario 4 today. I can't say I like it much. The adapter on the end of the airline doesn't really help much. The bubbles are to fine and just cloud up the tank, it would be nice if it was adjustable, it's either off or on full blast. Also it doesn't really sit still in the tank lodge in the gravel, would have been nice to have had suckers on the bottom and it's noisy as22. Constant vibrating away from all sides of the tank. The airline and power cable just look messy no matter how I try to tidy them. I am not impressed at all.

Well I got my Ario 4 today. I can't say I like it much. The adapter on the end of the airline doesn't really help much. The bubbles are to fine and just cloud up the tank, it would be nice if it was adjustable, it's either off or on full blast. Also it doesn't really sit still in the tank lodge in the gravel, would have been nice to have had suckers on the bottom and it's noisy as22. Constant vibrating away from all sides of the tank. The airline and power cable just look messy no matter how I try to tidy them. I am not impressed at all.

I haven't found the airline adapter to much of anything either. but I'm sure after playing around w/ it more you may find it more effective? you could contact Hydor and see if they can help?

did you put the clear plastic ring on upside down perhaps? or maybe try keeping it off. I have had to play around w/ mine from time to time. since I've had it so long it is doing much better than day one. ;)

I'm unfamiliar w/ the lighted ario, but did it come w/ a base or is it just the unit? mine came with a base, with suction cups (but I have an ario 2).

the vibrating got better with time for mine. but when I first got the ario I had to keep it away from any tank wall.

unfortunately the cable and tubing are just messy. they do have suction cups, but those only keep it in place and not make it attractive. the only thing I can suggest is getting some vine-like aquarium plants.

:goodluck

Mine didn't come with a base unit, I am not sure about this plastic ring either. In the instructions it says to partially bury it in the substrate for the ario 1,2,3. I take it the 4 should just be sitting on top of the gravel? Maybe it was so noisy because I burried it a bit. I have a better air flow adapter from my fluval filter for the venturi, I might see if that fits the airline and regulates the flow any better.

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm digging up an old thread, but I just got my arios (FINALLY!!!) and have them working now. I'm not finding any problems like any of the ones mentioned here, but I do have one problem that I wanted to ask about.

I got two Ario 2s. I knew I wanted two aerators; one for each half of the tank, so I decided to get a more middle size, vs. one large 4, so that's what I have. Mine have a base that the pump slides into and the base has suction cups. So, whether you're burying the pump in the gravel or sticking it on a bare bottom with the suction cups, and if you have it away from the back wall of the tank, it shouldn't cause vibration, at least with what I've seen. I can't imagine why a 4 would be different, i.e., not having a base or suction cups. In fact, it seems to me that the larger the pump, the more it would need these things.... they have a two year guarantee. I think I might be asking some questions to the seller about no base and suction cups..... if the 4 is built like my 2 and my 2 came with no base or suction cups, I don't think mine would stay in one place and I wouldn't be happy either. That's crazy!

As far as hiding the airline and power cord with the suction cups, I actually did a pretty good job. You just need to be very patient. With my first one, I tried to do it while the pump was in the tank. That was awkward. I managed, but it was awkward. But, with the second one, I did it all outside the tank. I held up the pump to the front of the tank at approximately the place I wanted to put it inside the tank, marked (with my fingers) where the cord would have to curve upward (which is either in the corner of the tank or with the filter uptake tube. Your choice, but for me, they're both in the same place, so that worked out double well), and put my first suction cup there. Then I marked, with my fingers, where the last suction cup would have to be where it all came out of the tank, put a suction cup there, then just evenly spaced the remaining suction cups in between these points. I laid out the pump on the floor and got the cord and airline neat and straight while it all was just laying on the floor, and then, once it was ready, I pushed aside the gravel and laid it all in the tank. Boom, boom, boom. 1,2,3. Fast and easy on the second one. The only thing you see in my tank is the bubbler dish itself.

I have an airflow controller on my venturi attachment on my powerheads. I discovered that when it wasn't working very well, that is, being able to see a difference in the amount of bubbles emitted, it was because the little piece of filtering material inside the little end cap was jammed up against the end hole where the air was sucked in. Now, maybe the controller for the Arios is different, and since my 2s don't have them, I don't know what they're like, but just thought I'd throw that out there.

So! Anyway! Finally to my problem with the Arios. And, Martha sort of touched on it.... maybe.... hopefully. Martha, you said that you had to "play around with [yours] from time to time, but now it's doing much better than day one." What does that mean exactly?

Mine are VERY sensitive. Once you get them bubbing, just the tiniest little bump or touch and they stop bubbling. Oh, the pump is still working. I discovered that the impeller doesn't seem to want to stay seated very well. Whilst burying the base in the gravel, I have to be very, very, very careful not to touch the pump in the slightest or it stops bubbling and then I have pull on the impeller section until it seats right again. I bought the two pumps about a week apart. But, even before I got the second one, the first one would even just stop bubbling in the tank when no one even touched it, for no apparent reason. I suppose if one of my fish came rummaging up under it, it might've bumped it enough though.....

Anyway, now that they're all buried perfectly and the airline and cords are neatly tucked away and hidden, I have to be very careful when I vacuum the gravel and move very gingerly around them. I don't want to take a chance of them stopping again. My last water change yesterday, try as I might, I bumped one, just barely!, I mean it wasn't a sumo wrestler bump!, it was like touching it with a feather kind of bump!, and it stopped. So, I had to undig it and pull the pump out of the base and fiddle with it and got it working again, but, at least, I didn't have to pull out the airline/cord. That's something I guess! I'm just holding my breath whenever I have to vacuum around or rebury those things, that's how touchy they are!

So, my question is, is this an inherent problem or did I just get lemons? And, if it is an inherent problem, does it get better with time as Martha commented?

Lynda I have the ario 4 and I have never had the problem you mentioned with bumping into it and it stops working. Maybe someone with the ario2 can help you out as to whether or not it is common with that model.

I guess I need to PM Martha to ask her what she meant about them getting better with time.....

I emailed the seller and he advised he uses them and he moves and bumps his around a lot and doesn't have these problems. I don't want to have to go to all the trouble to return these, urrghh.... so I'm just kind of doing a wait-and-see for a bit and get some opinions......

No, no lights. I just needed extra aeration, so I only got the pumps.

:bump:

I needed to bump this because I want to keep it active because I really would like some more imput on whether others have had the problem I'm having with my pumps.

One of mine stopped again today (or last night) for no apparent reason. It was just working away in the tank and then, blah, nothing. No one touched it. The worst thing that could've touched it was one of the fish, at best.

This make three times each in less than 2 weeks that these pumps have stopped working for no reason.

Do I have lemons?

is it possible a rock or something hard is getting into the part that spins? Mine has stopped a few times because the fish sometimes spit rocks right into the pump. I switched the way the plastic piece sits over the spinning thing and now they can't jam it up anymore.

It's a possibility, sure, but I actually think it's something to do with the impeller because, the very first time I started them up and put them in the water and was just in the process of getting them put in place, they stopped. This was before it had come in contact with any gravel. And, I've tried taking the plastic part and sponge and all that off and it didn't seem to help. What helps is pulling on the unit and/or wiggling it as if I'm trying to take it apart. BUT, I'll try anything. So, what did you do to switch the way the plastic piece sits over the spinning thing?

I gather these gizmo's work like a mag driven power head.

But, pull in air & force that air out, rather than water.

For that to work well with air, since air is not as dense as water.

Would require very close tolerance in the moving parts & chambers the impeller sits in.

Assuming they are made in China, quality control may be an issue.

Resulting in lemons now & them & I gather you have a lemon.

I did a product "reveiw" search & did not find much on these.

It seems some folks love them & others with lemons don't.

I'm old school in that I prefer tried & true things that time & use has proven cost effective & reliable.

Which, I don't think is the case here.

Just like the inexpensive air pumps many beginners buy.

They are often noisy, only last months, or a year, then need to be replaced.

On the other hand, high quality air pumps are far more expensive, but last for a decade.

So, you get what you pay for.

If you want a column of air bubbles inside your tank & have a decent air pump.

Best bet is use stiff rod type tubing down 1 corner inside the tank, then an elbow of flex tubing, & more stiff rod tubing to where you want an air stone positioned.

Bury the rod tubing in / under substrate on tanks bottom. That way, it's almost invisable.

Cover the airstone with a few agates, or whatever.

Simple, effective & easy to maintain, or change as you wish.

These are Italian, so I'd like to think they're made with a certain level of quality, but I think you're right in that they require close tolerance to run. I think they're either too tight and it's not turning, or too loose and they're not connecting. I feel like I'm getting both issues at different times.

Well, one has quit for good. I can do nothing to get it to run again, so I've informed the seller that I will be returning them. For what they do, I LOVE them and I told him I would like replacements.... so, I guess I'll just have to see what the next pair do. He says he can bang his all over the tank and they still run fine.