Ph Tap: 7.6

Test Kit: API drops

Temperature: 65ish

Tank size: 29 gallons/running seven months

Filters: Penguin biowheels 250 and 100

Water changes: Twice weekly 10%, once weekly 50%

# Fish: Three (and between 0-3 shrimp)

Conditioner: Prime

Food: Once daily Jungle AntiBacterial (halfway through two weeks treatment for columnaris)

Meds: Their tank is salted to 0.2% because of their columnaris issue last week

Unusual findings: TOTALLY DISGUSTING FACE PUSTULE

All righty.

I know that orandas can get weird zit-like growths on their wens, and apparently this is totally normal.

So when I saw this horrifying, bursting-out-of-Angst's-head thing today, I remained totally calm and snapped a few photos.

Voila:

ViewOne.jpg

ViewThree.jpg

ViewTwo.jpg

Nothing to worry about?

Totally normal?

I would say it's normal except the pink surrounding the dot worries me a little bit.... PLUS weren't you talking about possible colmnaris in another thread? Because columnaris pimples usually look like zits but pinkish surrounding them... I would keep an eye on it for sure, but the fact that it is on the wen is a good sign...

but the fact that it is on the wen is a good sign...

Not always...

I had an oranda before that exhibited columnaris infection in the wen that started with a tiny reddened patch and then commenced to eat/rot away the wen like a scene from the movie Cabin Fever.

that started with a tiny reddened patch and then commenced to eat/rot away the wen like a scene from the movie Cabin Fever.

WOW that goes on the list of things I never wanted to have a mental image of...

So what do we think, then? Is there something else I should be doing, treatment-wise? Angst wasn't even having creepy stuff dripping off his mouth -- he was just bottom-sitting at the same time that Sirius and Chester were, so I treated him just in case.

minx wish I had something to ease your mind about the pimple thing and i know this is kind of off topic but I absolutely adore your avatar and fish. And bette davis (eyes) is perhaps the most well suited name I could think of for a pretty celestial :)

It is probably not a big deal. It looks like what my Oranda's get off and on. For now I would just apply some Hydrogen Peroxide with a Q-Tip once and watch it carefully. Hopefully one of those more experienced will see this and advise better.

Sounds like the best idea, a topical swab and watch closely. I agree with everyone it is hard to say definitively yet but the surrounding pink speaks infected wen tissue and /or it could be a columnaris pimple so a localised disinfection would be best in either scenario. Be careful not to let the hp drip into the eyes.

but the fact that it is on the wen is a good sign...

Not always...

I had an oranda before that exhibited columnaris infection in the wen that started with a tiny reddened patch and then commenced to eat/rot away the wen like a scene from the movie Cabin Fever.

Wow.. scary!

I should clarify, I phrased that wrong. I meant a good sign in terms of, since it is the wen there is that possibility that it is nothing, just wen growth. Where as if it were on the body we know for sure that it is something not natural...

Rock on!! :Jig:

I'll grab some hydrogen peroxide when I'm out tomorrow, and swab the heck out of his creepy growth of creepiness! (Minding the eyes of course... lord, *there's* a nightmarish thought as well, me accidentally burning his eyeballs out...)

I'm really hoping it's not anything bad; like I said, they looked fine aside from that, and they've been up off the bottom since I salted the tank, and they're eating their medicated food like it's... something really delicious. Peas? Peas.

minx wish I had something to ease your mind about the pimple thing and i know this is kind of off topic but I absolutely adore your avatar and fish. And bette davis (eyes) is perhaps the most well suited name I could think of for a pretty celestial :)

Why thank you! :) Bette Davis has been bragging recently about how she's the only one who isn't causing mommy trouble at the moment. "Oh di do di dooo, aren't I an angel, don't you think I deserve an ooorange?"

They were apparently out of hydrogen peroxide at my local pharmacy today -- I say "apparently" because when I asked for it, the fourteen-year-old at the counter looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears.

"What?"

"Hydrogen peroxide? HYdrogen peroxIDE? Comes in a brown bottle? Gross colour? Can burn the eyes out of a goldfish?"

"...What?"

Methinks someone's been sampling the merchandise, eh, pharmacy worker? :ehh

So anyway, I'm going over to Grandma's tomorrow. She not only has a whole bottle, but she's willing to part with it with only a minimal amount of "You need this for your fish?"ing.

Just out of interest what concentration of hydrogen peroxide should you use for this? I have seen bottles from from 3% up to 35%, I also want to use it for disinfecting my tank so was wondering if you need different strenghts for different fishy purposes?

Minx they sell it at wall-e world for 83 cents.

Yeah, I thought of that right after I posted, and ran out and picked some up at Target. :D

I pulled Angst up, dried off the little spot with a Q-tip, rolled a second Q-tip dipped in the stuff over his lump, and RELEASE!

He dropped like a stone.

At which point I girly-screamed and began frantically waving my arms to get his attention. "Blink once if you can hear me" and all that.

No dice.

So I *raced* out into the hall shrieking for my mother, because... obviously she'd be able to do something? And by the time I came back in, the stupid fish was swimming all around chasing one of the shrimp, and acting like he'd never heard of anything as silly as sinking to the bottom of the tank.

Sigh.

So yes! Hydrogen peroxide applied! Yay team!

Just out of interest what concentration of hydrogen peroxide should you use for this? I have seen bottles from from 3% up to 35%, I also want to use it for disinfecting my tank so was wondering if you need different strenghts for different fishy purposes?

3% is best for goldfish purposes. Its plenty strength enough :)

Minx, Im sorry about the trauma involved with your first topical but hek I cannot shake that image of lobsters crawling out of ears now :krazy:

Minx they sell it at wall-e world for 83 cents.

At which point I girly-screamed and began frantically waving my arms to get his attention. "Blink once if you can hear me" and all that.

No dice.

Silly Minx, of course he didn't, he has no eyelids! ;)

I am just picturing you now....Everytime I read one of your threads..... :rofl You make me smile!

Not because of your poor fish, mind you! You are just so detailed and I can picture myself doing the same exact thing!!

Silly fish! Keep us update and watch that spot. Hopefully the HP will kick to the outer limits!

As for the kid at the store.... :krazy: I am telling ya, some peoples kids these days!!

Good luck!

I went and did a quick look-see on Angst this morning before flying, late, out the door, hair still dripping and shoes untied... but anyway, he was up and swimming and looking fit as a fiddle.

His lumpy-bumpy, however, is slightly changed.

The white part is completely gone, and the pink part has turned a more muted, dull reddish-pink.

Diagnosis good or bad, do we think?

3% is best for goldfish purposes. Its plenty strength enough :)

Minx, Im sorry about the trauma involved with your first topical but hek I cannot shake that image of lobsters crawling out of ears now :krazy:

Thanks Trinket

No change as of this evening -- the pustule is still there and still reddish (although also still lacking the white "fluffy" part from yesterday -- yay hydrogen peroxide!).

Just in cases, does anyone know of a good type of OMG COLUMNARIS med I can stock up on, so that when I go downstairs in the morning and Angst's face has fallen off, I can treat the tank immediately?

(Ooh, and assuming that *doesn't* happen, how long should I keep the tank salted?)