Sign in to follow this  
cooper

Fry Death Rate/development

I was wondering if there is a typical death rate among developing fry... (I am thinking it is quite possible my fry have flukes although I am hesitant to use prazi since I do not have a mircoscope to test for sure) However I have an important question: Is there a typical death rate of developing fry. i.e. Do some not develop properly (genetic mutations), Do some inevitably not make it into adulthood? etc... I have approximately 2 week old fry and if I had to guess I've lost about 5-10% of them. The ones that have died were the ones that seemed not to be developing normally or perhaps not as quickly as the others.

I guess just from anyone's past experience, what percentage of your fry make it to adulthood under ideal conditions?

:unsure:

Edited by The Fish Whisperer

well I went ahead (hesitantly) and treated them with prazi now I guess I'll just have to wait to see what happens.

Well there are "die off" periods, but I don't know the percentage.

My latest batch was a bad one, there were hundreds of fry from the beginning. But they were crooked and deformed, and a lot of them were eaten, one of them grew very big very fast!.

Now there are only 2 left, the big one and a smaller calico!

It depend somewhat on the variety. The fancier varieties have more fry which can not make it even under the best of conditions. Some batches of fry will be better than others too - even when they are from the same parents and the age of fry is only separated by several weeks. Losing 5-10% in two weeks is a little high, but not too bad.

It is possible to have fry survival which is too good. Once you get your routine down, you can keep alive fry which have no chance of living to adulthood because of genetic issues. You may prefer to loose these early in the game because they are consuming resources (food, space, water quality) which should be invested in the stronger individuals.

Normally you will not experience a fluke problem for the first three to four weeks. However, Prazi does no harm and is tolerated well by fry.

-steve

The very first batch I had I lost them all. The second batch I was wiser, more careful but nowhere near careful enough and still lost almost all by 1 month-6 weeks. 2 week, 3 week and 4 week die-offs are most common in my experience. Most home/non professional breeders have one or 2 survivors from 100.The 3rd and 4th batches I had, had much better survival rates. I realised that any splash would bend backs or kill or make them swirly; that fry can starve to death within half a day; that any dirt at all in their water killed them and I also realised how sensitive they were to temperature changes. I was sucking up leftover food with a syringe 4 times a day after each feeding...it was 24 hour care. My last batch I still have 8 fry - all now a healthy fat five incher 2 year olders.

I can't help on this one. I've only saved eggs twice. Once last summer and the fry I have now. The only deaths I had so far either time were accidently caused by me when cleaning and actually culling. Of the 50+ fry this time I still have 30+ after a heavy first cull. And most of those culled were for wonky looking tail fins. Those left are going strong and growing so far.

Well its been almost 3 weeks and I still have a lot of very healthy and thriving fry. I'm not sure if it was the prazi or not that kept them alive. I think I just freaked out when I saw the ones with quazimoto backs doing somersaults up and down up and down..... I felt so bad for them. I'll try to get some pictures I have some realllllly chubby little guys now in what seems to be two distinctive varieties. Some of the fry' eyes are all black and some are black with an amber ring around them (maybe that means they are indeed half moor? Since I potentially have 2 fathers: my moor nigel and my r/w ryukin archibald-both whom were doing the chasing). I'll also try to post a picture of the mother a pretty calico fantail. If the amount I have now do survive I'm definetly gonna have to give some away in a couple months so if anyone wants to start making dibs just let me know :) .

The ones with the black "button" eyes are either calico or matt. The ones with the pigment in the eye are either metallic or calico. Some calico fish have one button eye and one pigmented eye. By now, you should be able to see a difference in body color of the clear scale versus metallic scale offspring.

-steve

hey steve thanks for all the info. I definetly have clear fry and some that appear to be a very darkish green hue. Its so exciting!!! I can't wait to see them in a couple more weeks :)

The green ones are metallic scale. Some will demelanize (change color) to metallic red and white in a month or so. It only takes a few weeks for an individual to change color but they will not all change at the same time. Others will slowly get darker and become black over time.

The light color (clear) ones will slowly develop patches of calico color. You may, or may not, have any matt (no color). It depends on whether there are any calico genes in the males.

-steve

interesting.... so when would I start to see the development of the telescope eyes if the broadtail moor was indeed the father? Also is it possible for me to get some red/white ryukins as well as some moors since I had two males chasing the calico female?

p.s. you have some very beautiful fish on your website I wish I had some more room for 1 of them :) If I ever get another tank I definetly will be contacting you. Fair prices as well.

-Jonathan

Edited by The Fish Whisperer

Jonathon, I think Bekko is in Hawaii :unsure: Beautiful fish you have raised Bekko!

I still have 30+ after a heavy first cull. And most of those culled were for wonky looking tail fins. Those left are going strong and growing so far.

You are doing so well Kathy! You have the goldfish thumb for sure :exactly !

Even though I have seen many failures to each success story with fry I really think kokos members and all the great threads in this section to assist, have the best chances and outcome. Fish Whisperer I shall follow your babies progress with great interest. Color arriving is a very exciting stage :nana .

It takes several months for the telescope eyes to start to develop.

-steve