Sign in to follow this  
nastymonster

My Ranchu

Hi, first time poster here.

This is my only goldfish, her name is Sushi. I think she is a ranchu, although I've been told her eyes are too big, which means she is stunted.

She is only three inches though so do you think she is stunted? Obviously I hope not. She has a very 'friendly' personality, or appears to. It's hard not to anthropomorphise something you look at nearly all day long! Very active and ever hungry. I feed her on Hikari Lionhead. Since I bought her her orange has got more intense, the photos don't really show how bright she is. I guess that is because of the food? She doesn't have much wen growth that I can see, just recently her head has gone a bit velvety with a bit of growth. Will it grow much more do you think?

Thoughts/comments welcome!

Paddy

DSC01203.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

top.jpg

Very cute! Her ranchus eyes look simliar to mine and she is a simliar size, so I'm not sure about the stuntint. Hard to say.

She's very cute :)

You're certainly feeding her good food, what size is her tank?

I've never heard of determining stunting by eye size...... I think her eyes look fine.

More important ways of determining stunting is age vs. length vs. environment. But, then again, this is always tempered by genetics.

You mentioned her length, but do you know how old she is? What size tank has she been kept in?

If her color is intensifying, that is a good thing. That means she's being fed well. If she's being fed well and is being provided adequate housing, then stunting shouldn't be a problem.

Why are you concerned about stunting? Have you recently found out that maybe you haven't been doing something right or did you get her from someone else that you think maybe didn't do something right?

Wen growth is also a combination of food, environment and genetics. Lots of space , sunshine and protein is what many breeders and show people say they use to increase wen and color. But, if it's not in the cards, or genes, nothing will make the wen grow.

I have heard that large eyes in proportion to a fish's body is a sign of stunting several times on the board. I've never seen it myself so I can't judge. But I agree with Lynda that your ranchu looks fine.

very nice fish, how big is your tank?

Hi thanks for your replies!

Her tank is about 10 UK gallons. I know this is the minimum size for a goldfish so I will get a bigger one when she gets bigger. As far as age goes I have no idea.

The reason stunting worries me is just that someone told me she might be and it didn't sound like a positive thing.

Paddy

Very nice Ranchu,good luck with her/him.

Thanks everyone.

Although I don't know the age, assuming she has been and will continue to be raised correctly, at 3 inches now how long will it take her to be fully grown?

Lovelly fish, I have an Oranda that has never really got that much bigger in 4 months. I bought a fantail 3 months back and he is getting huge.

Hi thanks for your replies!

Her tank is about 10 UK gallons. I know this is the minimum size for a goldfish so I will get a bigger one when she gets bigger. As far as age goes I have no idea.

The reason stunting worries me is just that someone told me she might be and it didn't sound like a positive thing.

Paddy

What the heck is a UK gallon? I mean, I looked it up and it's just ever so slightly less than a US gallon, but what's the point? If you're gonna measure in gallons, then measure in gallons. They should all be the same. If you don't want to measure in gallons, then you measure in litres. Where did the UK gallon come from? I mean, who decided that there was a need to create another measurement that was just a tiny bit different than the US gallon? Not ranting at you; you didn't invent it! Actually, I'm not really ranting at all. Just very curious and wondering out loud.....

Thanks everyone.

Although I don't know the age, assuming she has been and will continue to be raised correctly, at 3 inches now how long will it take her to be fully grown?

Again, this is very difficult to predict. You can have two fish from the same spawn and give them all the same things and one will get huge and the other won't. Why am I short and my brother is tall? Why do I have a low metabolism and my brother's is through the roof? We're all just born with different genes that make all living things grow just a bit different from the next. That said, the best way to get the largest goldfish is to pond raise them, but that involves a lot of its own special techniques as well. My pond comets probably almost tripled in size in a year. That is, from about 1 inch to 3 inches. Over the next three years when they were in a smaller aquarium and then a very small pond, they grew about half as fast; to about 6 inches. But, comets are much different than fancies. Over a 1 1/2 year period, my oldest aquarium fancy has probably grown a bit more than an inch.

What the heck is a UK gallon? I mean, I looked it up and it's just ever so slightly less than a US gallon, but what's the point? If you're gonna measure in gallons, then measure in gallons. They should all be the same. If you don't want to measure in gallons, then you measure in litres. Where did the UK gallon come from? I mean, who decided that there was a need to create another measurement that was just a tiny bit different than the US gallon? Not ranting at you; you didn't invent it! Actually, I'm not really ranting at all. Just very curious and wondering out loud.....

Off topic, but since you are wondering, a UK gallon is just the measurement unit we used before litres (along with pints, liquid ounces etc)...its an imperial measurement so not officially used anymore, but it's still a valid measurement. It isn't like it was created recently just to annoy Americans :P its been around for a couple of hundred years at least, in various forms, so if anything I would guess that the American one was modified from one of these? who knows.

Oh and thats a cute fish :]

your fish is soooo pretty, i want more and more goldies!

Welcome to Koko's Tank.

Very nice looking ranchu!

that Ranchu is adorable! We have a calico Ryukin name Sushi!

Edited by Alyks

What the heck is a UK gallon? I mean, I looked it up and it's just ever so slightly less than a US gallon

One imperial gallon is more than one metric gallon...

Goldfish eyes never stop growing when they are stunted thier eyes still grow. If you are shoping for a goldfish and want to know if they are stunted look at the eyes. if they have big eyes they are stunted their eyes should be small if they are small. Their eyes should fit their body size and not to big.

You have to train your eyes to see it sometimes it is not so noticeable.

maybe this will help. A stunted fish usually have large eyes and fins that do not look proportioned with the rest of the body. The pupil is unusually large on stunted fish. Once a fish is stunted like this it is more than likely too late to fix it.

By the way your fish is Soooooo ADORABLE!

Guest Christo7

hey nastymonster i've got almost the exact same problem, my ranchu is 3" including tail and i think it could be stunted. Let me know if your fish ever grew bigger.

I'm from the UK. (noticed UK gallons used)

Guest housemouse

sorry I can't help just had to say wow, those photos are stunning you must have a great camera

When I bought my ranchu he was small ( about 2,5 inches) and he had big eyes, but now, after a year he has about 3,5-4 inches and still big eyes.. I think big eyes are fine.. but I think he is growing very slowly, wthat do you think? is it slow or normal growth?

Edited by NOA

Well it's been a few months since I've posted here, thanks for the photo compliments I missed housemouse!

Littel Sushi has beeen doing fine...eating non-stop as ever and getting quite big and fat! I've had to upgrade her tank to one about double the size which seems to be appreciated.

And, like so many other people's fish I've noticed here, she's started to change colour from the belly up. What was white is now a coppery red...I suppose that's normal but I did like how she looked to start with!

I've got a feeling I'm going to end up with a completely golden goldfish. I'll put some photos up so you can see how she's changed. I find it hard to see if she if she's grown because you see them every day and don't notice a change. still no wen, I don't think there will be one or it would have appeared by now? I don't think she's stunted though!

Photos to follow shortly!

Paddy

Ok just got some quick snaps so you can see the differences...this is her in March as seen at the top of this thread:

IMG_0094.jpg

and this is her now:

sushi2.jpg

sushi3.jpg

Sushi1.jpg

Goodnight!

Paddy

Edited by nastymonster