Black Wing Pleco?

I've never heard of him, but I have him and I can't find any good websites on his care needs. He's beautiful, black with small orange spots, but different from the snowball pleco. He has tons of spines on the sides of his mouth and the edges of his fins. I'll get a pic up as soon as he moves where I can get a good one.

Thanks!

I wasn't able to find anything on black wing pleco either. Does it look like this? Orange Spot Bristlenose Pleco. If so, the name you were given is incorrect which might explain why you couldn't find anything.

Hello Lynda,

He looks similar to that, but he does not appear to have bristles, the "spines" I refer to are very fine and almost hair-like, kind of like a mustache (coming out of the side of his mouth). They also come out of the edges of his swimmy fins. He's quite bizarre.... doesn't help that the lady at the fish didn't know any of his parameters, "I really don't know what kind he is." When I get home from work I'll try to upload a picture. He hasn't eaten any wafers I gave him today or really since I got him (yesterday), but there is some algae in the tank should he want that instead... I just really haven't seen him move, he doesn't even really try to hide, just seems content to stick to the side of the tank.

Thanks,

Stasia

Thanks for your responses! He actually looks very similar to that picture. He has the spines on his fins but he does not have any on his "nose" just a few (like the ones on his fins) by the edges of his mouth. They are actually a bit hair like. I went back to the lfs today and asked about the type he is. The guy said it was an "L" and then some number because that's how they label them because there are so many different types. Maybe he's a cross?

Thanks,

Stasia

If it's an "L-number" series pleco, then it's a species that hasn't been scientifically named yet. That's usually how they label newly-discovered plecos that are being imported for the pet trade. Unfortunately, it is often confusing and doesn't give a hint as to the care requirements of the animal. For all we know, it might be a carnivorous type like the vampire pleco, Leporacanthicus galaxias or the zebra pleco, Hypancistrus zebra

Try giving it some bloodworms and see if it eats.

The bristles grow as they age, so maybe your isn't into maturity yet..?

Here's a picture of a younger one, second image down on the page, that only has the bristles around its mouth:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/s...?article_id=377

1.jpg1.jpgAnyway, looks to be a cool little guy.. [:

VERY similar Willl. I fed his tank mates brine shrimp. If he were a vampire pleco would he be interested in those? He didn't seem interested. He moved around today a bit, to the other side of the tank. I'll get a better pic when I transfer him to my main tank (I'll do the light colored bowl thing).

Thanks All!

~Stasia

Just to expand on what Man-yu said, almost all plecos are given an L-number (new and old alike) as a way of identifying the many different kinds. The bristlenose I believe is L-144, but don't quote me on that.

Also, the pic Willl attached first is most likely a male, as the females will only grow bristles around their mouth, males grow them around their mouth and in lines up to and between their eyes. And they will grow larger with age.

take a pic of him in a light-colored bowl. That helps a little to get a little detail in pictures ;)

Or glass bowl with a white paper underneath. And from above with his bristles/whiskers and fins as spread out as possible.... and maybe a close up of his face..... and maybe a side shot if you could work that....

Hi All,

Ok, I'm trying to get my spiny pleco out of the qt and into the main, but I'm having some problems. 1) I can't catch him, he's too fast 2) Whenever I touch him with the net his spines are like hooks and he sticks to the net and jerks around until he's free. I don't want to hurt him. Any other methods? I have flashbacks to when I caught my pictus catfish with a net and he stuck and he nearly pulled his fin off. Instead we cut the net away from his fin, but for the rest of his life (like 3 days) he swam in circles with the piece of net on him. UGH.

Thanks,

Stasia

Don't try to free a pleco from the net with your hands. Catch him with a net, quickly lift out the net with the fish in it, plunge it into the new container/tank, hold the net open (with the fish still under water) and let him settle down on his own. Most of the time, the fish will free itself of the fabric when it has calmed down.

What we had to do with our pictus (since you should never try and catch barbel-ed with a net) is use a tupperware or small plastic bowl. Now, the only time we've had to move him is when we were moving tanks, so we drained all but an inch or two of water and chased him into the bowl, then covered it with our hands while we transfered him. Maybe that would work for your guy, if you're able to drain most of the water out of your qt tank?

plecoandprawn.jpg

Here they are! Taking the plunge into the main tank :) Once again, note on the pleco the "spiny wings". I put them both in and I'll probably never see them again as Pepe the Prawn (Vampire shrimp) and the pleco both went into the hidey structures.

:) Stasia