Where Should The Water Level Be?

Hello, I have always wondered where the water level in my tank should be. I usually fill up the tank until there is one inch of space, but now I have been filling it up all the way to the top. Is this fine? Or how much space should there be between the hood and water? Thanks! :P:D:)

I find it quieter with the water to the top of the frame. As long as you have plenty of O2 with an air stone and have the hood open most of the time you should be fine. If you fill the water to about 2 inches from the outflow on the filter it creates agitation which increases O2 exchange and creates more bubble into the water. The fish seem to like this as well, mine play in the current. I think as long as you have adequate O2 you should be fine either way. JMO :)

I think it depends how quiet you want your tank. If you have a bio wheel filter then you have plenty of O2 exchange

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

I fill mine up till the spashing stops. Before I change water it well be spashing again for my enjoyments. I love that sound expecially in the bedroom. It helps me sleep.

My tank has a maximum fill level, which is about half an inch from the top, but I have it about half an inch to an inch below that. The only noise I get is from bubbles from the wand breaking the surface, but I turn that of at night so the tank is running silent. It's in my bedroom.

I have 3 HOB filters so if I leave the water 1 inch or 2 inches from the top I get this loud waterfall sound and a long time ago I woke up and thought the tank was leaking.

Yeah it can get loud, especially those days between water changes when the water evaporates down a half inch or so. I don't think your tank will leak, maybe some manufacturers recommend a certain level with their tanks I am not sure. I think though you should follow manufacturers instructions, especially if you need warranty replacement at some point.

Also some HOB filters will not have proper flow rate if the water is too high, be careful with that, read your manual from the manufacturer, it would say in there. You mostly want to watch for back flow into the HOB. I wouldn't turn the air stone off at night, the boogers need all the o2 they can get, and more agitation at the surface means more o2 exchange.

I got used to my tank noise and I don't know how I lived without it, it soothes my soul and the fish love the current. With a smaller shallower tank you might not want so much current as it would make the fish uncomfortable and weak. In that case I would raise the level higher. I think as I said earlier if o2 is adequate then it is just a matter of preference. :D

• Admin

All my tanks are filled to the plastic rim, I cant go higher since some of my tanks are on a slight tilt. I try to keep the noise down to guys man that water fall sound can be very loud when you got 2 or more HOB's running :lol

Yeah, it can get pretty loud. And if I leave it like that I will have little dots or splashes of water everywhere. And my tank is on a slight tilt too.

• Admin
:lol right now I have 3 tanks that need topping off, think Ill change the goldies water but all my tanks right now are about 1"or so off the plastic rim and man is my house noisy :lol