Cloudy Eye!

nichjake

Scud has taken ill...he's by far my favorite of my goldies and I feel crushed that he's sick. His right eye is all cloudy, glazed over and looks really bad. He's also bottom sitting. I noticed his eye issue yesterday and immediately played musical tanks to get him somewhere where I could treat him. He's been sitting on the bottom for 3-4 days (including today) but I had figured he was just upset because of the last water change I had done. It wasnt until yesterday that he turned so I could see his right eye. He's in my 10 gal betta tank right now (the betta is being housed in a critter keeper). I would have set up the QT tank but thats already occupied by a new fish that I bought a couple days ago.

I have started treating with Melafix and have salted to .1%.

My params are as follows:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 15

pH, tank: ~6.8

pH, tap: ~6.5

I normally have in a 45 gallon tank with one other goldie and a couple snails. As for filtration I have a biowheel 350 and a fluval 305 canister. My other fish seems perfectly fine and I think the eye issue is the result of a botched water change. The last water change I did, about 5 days ago, went wrong when the water started coming out of my faucet a lot hotter than I had set it to and since I was using a python I didn't notice until the tank was almost full. The hot water at my apartment randomly turns itself up and down sometimes but this was the first time it had done it that much. As a result the temp of my tank jumped about 10-15 degrees in just a couple minutes and then I quickly drained the water again and added cooler water to bring it down 7-8 degrees from the temperature the hot water brought it to.

Other than the melafix and salt do you guys have any suggestions as to what I can do or what might be going on?

Here some pics to give you a better idea of whats going on

100_5644.jpg

100_5648.jpg

100_5649.jpg

His other eye looks fine although a little white puss-ish looking spot has appeared just above it today so I'm really starting to worry.

Edited by nichjake

Oh no, that does look painful! Poor Scud (and he is indeed beautiful).

I just have support to offer -- no advice here. I'm not familiar with what this might be. Your pH seems low, but I wouldn't think it would result in something like this.

Hang tight, I'm sure someone will be by soon.

I hope the melafix and salt help your fish. Sam and Frodo had cloudy eyes and they got better. We tried salt first then melafix. Fingers crossed. I'm sure a mod will advise you soon.

I am SO sorry! Normally I would try to offer some advice, or something but I have never seen anything like that before. It doesn't look like typical cloudy eye. It looks like an odd film is over his whole eye.

I know Imo has company right now and may not be online as often as normal. I wish I could offer some sort of guidance. I think the salt was a very good idea in the meantime.

His eye looks worse today, but he was actually moving around the tank a little instead of sitting in the plant this morning and showed enough interest in food to try to grab a piece as it fell past him but not enough to chase after it when he missed. I'm hoping he's starting to get better.

The melafix and salt haven't helped...he keeps looking and acting worse. I'm afraid I may lose him. I went out and bought some erythromycin and am trying that. Hopefully it helps :cry1

I'm soooo sorry things aren't better and that no one else has popped in on your thread..

EM only works on select bacteria, thats the problem. And most bacteria do not respond to it.. : (

I think you should focus on your PH too. It's low.. It's needs to be raised into the 7's, either with baking soda temporarily, or with a PH buffer for long term.. It could be a big problem here..

See if you can increase that gradually...

Do you have ANY medicated food on hand? Maybe Medi-Gold? It may be better than the EM..

That is really a strange looking injury/infection isn't it? I just went through the 4 fish books I have and didn't see anything that looked like it. I do remember that tetracycline is supposed to be good for cloudy eye. Sorry I can't help more, but I don't have experience with that type of problem :(

Actually Chrissy I almost recommended Tetracycline too. I always hesistate with meds, because I would hate to do the wrong one, but I think it may be a better choice if you haven't already begun the other med.

Today was day 3 on the EM and the first time I've gotten to look at him since sunday afternoon before I left for my parent's. My roommate gave him the dose yesterday. It seems to be doing wonders. Almost all the fuzz on his body is gone and about 75% of the crud on his eye is gone. The fin rot that he was developing ate away about 1/4 of his tail but it appears to have stopped and begun the healing process. He's actually moving around a little now when I turn the light on but still not very interested in eating. Overall he looks a TON better but still has quite a ways to go.

I don't think medicated food would have/will do him a bit of good since he's not interested in eating.

I still haven't figured out what the heck happened to him but my best guess, and the local pet store (they're an amazing store and know a LOT about fish and every other animal they carry) concurs with my guess. I'm thinking he somehow was injured or traumatized by my last disasterous water change and he developed a fungal infection like mouth fungus. I think the fin rot was secondary from his bottom sitting. I also suspect he was starting to get septicemia because his fins were turning red and his abdomen was starting to show a red tint but that seems to be gone now since I started with the EM the day that showed up.

Overall he seems to be on the mend but I'm still not getting my hopes up.

I almost bought tetracycline instead but the EM seemed to be a better fit for his symptoms.

Edited by nichjake

• 2 weeks later...

Scud is a ton better now, the crud on his eye is completely gone but his eye is still cloudy like a cataract. I think this infection/fungus has left him blind in that eye. All the other white crud on his body is gone except for a little bit on his wen. He's been acting very normal and eating like a pig for about 5 days now. I think he's going to be okay :D

• 2 weeks later...

I think Scud has healed as much as he's going to unless he heals very slowly over a long period of time. He's blind in the eye that had all the problems and his fins merely resemble the beauty they once had (although I'm confident that those will heal nicely). I re-introduced him to the main tank after he'd been out of it for a month and bubbles (my ryukin) chased him around mercilessly and nipped his fins like it was his job. It really worried me but I decided to give them a day and sort things out themselves. They're getting along fine now (thankfully) although Scud's tail is even more beat up and split. He's doing fine now and can find food very easily. He's also getting along well with the new girl who I added to the tank a week before I put Scud back. She had been in QT for a month and appears to be perfectly healthy.

Its nice to finally have things under control although now I'm worried and Hadrian, one of my bettas. He nips his own fins and has gotten worse with it over the last month. He has his tail ripped down to the point where he can barely swim and spends most of time sitting on the bottom because he can't move well. I put him in the 5 gal that my other betta normally lives in and moved that one to Hadrian's tank because I don't have the 5 gal filtered so theres no current for him to fight with. He's been doing slightly better over the last couple days but I fear he's going to kill himself soon if he doesn't quit.