Oscar Is Upside Down Again

jody

Ok I came home and oscar is upside down and floating at the top. Here is some pictures...

oscar2.jpg

Here she is upside down,

she is sensitive with her swim bladder so this is not a surprise. I just fed her a huge meal of peas...

oscar1.jpg

I am more concerned with this white goopy stuff around her eyes. it could be from being upside down I dont know?

you cant tell from the pictures it is kind of goopy, slimy white.

I will try and get a better picture and test the water soon. I did a 80% wc two days ago so I think it is all fine there. All I have changed is put carbon in the filter for cloudy water. Feeding spurulna pellets and fresh fish. maybe I am feeding too much, I am compensating for googles appetite and dominance..

Help please :(

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot about the boxes... here goes

74F

27 gal running 3 months, is cycled

penguin 200, wisper internal 125gph

80% weekly

two fish 1- black moor (oscar) 1 telescope (google)

Prime

lots of food

no meds

no new fish

upside down kind of gasping

any questions please let me know

I'll check in in the morning... seems about the same right now.. she is tucked in, just looked she is actually swimming around. I changed around the tank light schedule. Daylight from a window all day(not intense, tank is in a corner) from dawn till dusk. tanks light is set to come on at 4:00pm and go out a 10pm. Maybe too much light? ok she is back upside down.. :wall see ya'll tomorrow.

Take care :)

peas are on the menu for tomorrow, or do you think no food?

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

Jody Im sorry your thread got missed. Is Oscar still upside down? Fish with swimbladder issues can flipover sometimes but if he remains like that then its a problem of course. You have tried a heavy meal of peas. How about now fasting him a few days?

I second that! My fish have been flipping lately and I tried to rule out EVERYTHING and the other day we thought it MAY be overfeeding, (which I have been guilty of lately)..I've just finished a 3 day fast, and my fish is normal for now, so at the very least, if you fast them, and they are okay, it can give you a better clue as to what is causing this. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks so much guys! :) I have never fasted before as I am such a sucker cause I hate to think of them hungry :feedme I can stay strong for a few days though. I'll just feed Google in a rubbermaid.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted and if you think of anything else let me know. She has been upside down all night and is in the same spot as last night. There is no white goopy stuff around the eyes today. It was like that whitish film that she gets around her eyes, on the top part around her forehead. I saw a couple other ppls moors look like that, must be the slime coat?

take care

now feeding Google in rubbermaid. Works great!!!! Oscar is normal again. How long to fast for? Today is now done, no food today, so two more full days? I think she can only handle gel food now.

I think it must be the slimecoat.. Probably being overproduced because she is stressed out... Hope the fast turns out okay and helps with the problem. If I can think of anything else I will post!

Almost forgot. Thanks Trinky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :painting:

She is doing well this morning.... doesnt have much energy though, she could be just waking up now cause the light just cam on 20 mins ago.

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

She is doing well, very well. Only she has no energy. Usually she does swimming tricks all day, swimming up with bubbles and down, and she gets excited usually when I come home. Now she just swims there not interested.

What do you think? This is the 2nd full day of fasting so she has fasted for 48 hours. How much longer? I will start her back on gel food I promise :)

Maybe one more day? Then start back on the gel. Thats what I did with my floaty girl Kharma.. She is on day 2 of her veggie only gel food and she is doing well with that!

Awesome! Good to hear that things are getting better!

I tried Kharma on the veggie gel food WITH pro gold and I was soo nervous but as far as I could tell there were no issues.. Thank GOD for gel food. It's a shame that it took seeing a problem for me to make it. I kept thinking I should make some and never made the time.

Crappity crappers! I fed spirulna pellets and she is floating back upside down :( She is taking spurts not like before where she was totally upside down 90% of the time, now its about 20%.

I am about to do my large weekly WC. Do Nitrates contribute to floatyness? I think I read that somewhere.

oh yeah my last batch had pro gold as well... no problems :D

Edited by Hawaiian Crush

Yes nitrates can contribute but not until they get higher (anything over 20 do a water change)!

Goldfish are pretty hardy. I know it is hard to fast...but 4 days with nothing, 3 days of peas or gel food usually help.

When a fish is stuck at the top like that, keep the light off except if you are going to feed it/them it stresses them out.

Yes black fish/black moor in general have a whitish coloring right there between eyes/head. It is probably normal!

If you are feeding peas....4-5 peas twice a day would be ok, but not more. Too much food = Floaty issues and high nitrates= floaty issues.

Keep us posted!

Doing fine today, back to normal. Breakfast shall be served at 7:45 this morning. The gang has a table reserved, lol. Special of the day is Peas, and Pro--gold for the aggressive guy. The girls like their peas :)

Good really good :) It has to be peas or gel food. Anything else causes her to flip over.

I am feeding her peas now, and I have Google in the trap, lol.

Peeper has been upgraded to an 18 gallon, he/she is loving it, swimming everywhere

Thanks for checking in :D

Ok darn it!!! She is on the bottom today face down :(

She is the Black Moor on the left. Not Google (almost feeding, lol)

DIGI0112.jpg

I just looked over and she is swimming again, oh wait back on the bottom

What the heck, she is on gel food now? I am lost. Am I to just feed her peas forever now? they are the only food she does well on.