Baby Snails-goldfish Fry

cooper

Hey guys I have a batch of goldfish fry who are about 9 days old now and have recently noticed a couple baby snails in the tank which I am raising the fry in. I was just curious if anyone thinks there might be some issues with this combination.

thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't worry about it. Even if your snails were meat eaters it is unlikely that they would be able to catch the fry.

I agree, I don't think there will be an issue. If anything, the fry may eat the baby snails when they get large enough.

i'd be more afraid of the fry eating the snail..

i had a pretty large apple snail in with my platy fry once, and they kept attacking him.

they ate off one of his antenae and later on he died. i'm not sure if it was due to the stress or what.

but at least the snail can eat up all the extra food, even if they do seem to poop out twice as much lol.

haha i'm not to worried about the fry eating the snails right now. I started off amazed when I saw the first baby snail after the fry had hatched. Now its an epidemic and I definetly noticed yesterday a couple patches of snail eggs!@! I might have to break out the zuchinni soon :) as I read in some other posts this a good way of removing snails. Question, what should I do with the snails after i remove them???? :idont

I might have to break out the zuchinni soon as I read in some other posts this a good way of removing snails. Question, what should I do with the snails after i remove them????

snail croquettes

2 cups of chopped snails

1 tablespoon grated onion

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 teaspoon pepper

2 teaspoons tomato sauce

1 teaspoon chopped parsley

1 cup frying oil

1 cup enriched flour

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1 cup fine breadcrumbs

4 pounds butter

Cook the snails in a covered skillet for 30 minutes or until the meat softens, using 1 tablespoon frying oil with onion, tomato sauce, pepper and lemon added.

Melt 4 pounds of butter and blend with the flour and salt. Gradually stir in milk and cook until the mixture thickens. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes and cool. Stir the in the snails and parsley until completely mixed. Mould the mixture into croquette form and dip in breadcrumbs, then in beaten eggs and again in breadcrumbs. Fry in hot oil until brown.

lol :rofl Thanks for the tips guys but I think I might just try feeding them to my bigger goldfish( thanks kathy) before I attempt to eat them myself. Something tells me that snails living in water coniditioned with a sulfur smelling substance, combined with praziquantel probably should not be consumed by humans :) . Although if there was ever an ice storm lasting months I would definetly be comforted by the notion that as a last resort I could eat some tasy snail croquets