Dumb Mistake

So on my Sunday water change I had the brilliant idea to pour boiling water over my three large plastic plants to loosen the algae that I am forever scrubbing off with a toothbrush. Not my smartest idea.

Although the water did remove the algae, it also smooshed and flattened the plants (boiling water and plastic...duh!). I put them in the tank for about five minutes when my husband said I should remove them in case the boiling water would make the leech some kind of chemical into the tank. So I took them out, removed 5 gallons of water and then finished filling up the tank.

They are totally salvagable, but are they now dangerous? My husband thinks that if I let them dry out for a week they should be fine. Any ideas out there?

When all plastics are heated they do release toxic chemicals. Even plastics in your own kitchen I never use plastics in the kitchens unless it is for wrapping COLD again COLD food to put in the fridge and never ever warm food up in plastics. Now with that out of the way I would let them cool off and wash them in peroxide and then in baking soda it is fish safe and will neutralize any remaining chemicals. Baking soda is the best thing you can get for neutralizing chemicals. Then I think it will be safe.

Ahh I did this before too! I was disinfecting some stuff (this was a whillllllle back) and I thought "oooh I will boil everything".. And I ended up with mushy plants and a weird snail ornament that looked compeltely creepy and deformed.. LOL Again, DUH plastic and boiling water! lol

How've you been Amy?! I feel like we need to catch up!!!!!!!

I know...it has been a while. Things are good. Nothing new or exciting (just lots of baking, hiking, traveling, working, ect.) and thankfully everyone is healthy here. How are you? How are all the new babies doing? I just went to the beach Sunday and thought of you :rolleyes:

Ah, boiling... I sort of contorted my uptake tubes when I boiled everything when I tore down my main tank. Plastic is tricky. Some can handle lots of heat while others can hardly handle any. But, I think as with anything that can leach fumes/chemicals, once they dry out, they'll be fine. I use this oxygen based cleaner to get off really nasty buildup inside my siphon tube and it works great. It was made to clean out wine barrels and is for winemaking and they say it's perfectly safe to the point that the item doesn't even need to be rinsed. It's not totally cheap, so I don't use it for just everything, but it works really good.

My cleaner is called "One Step No Rinse Cleanser" and is made by Logic in Greenville, North Carolina and distributed by LD Carlson in Kent, Ohio. I ordered it online from FineVineWines.com. But, I'm wondering if you couldn't find it at local winemaking stores. I drove past one, I think on Westwood, or no, maybe it was Sepulveda, anyway, and thought I need to see if they carry it, but I haven't gone in yet. I need to as I only have about 1 Tblsp left. There are other cleansers that use oxygen, apparently, but they aren't "no rinse," and while I still rinse, the thing is, I just feel safer about the no rinse version.

Ah ha! I found that place. It's on Sepulveda and it's called:

Culver City Home Brewing Supply

4358 1/2 Sepulveda Bl.

Culver City, CA 90230

(310) 397-3453

I emailed them to ask if they carry One Step and they said that they don't, but can order it and would have it in around the 16th. I said I wasn't in any hurry and wouldn't be able to afford it until after the 23rd anyway. I told them I had a friend who might be interested in some, so let me know if you want some, want me to pick it up for you or if you'll go pick it up yourself or what.

How much is it? I'm pretty broke, too. I have to spent a week in San Fran area at the end of April and thought I might tour some wineries and look for some there. How often do you clean your tubes? I am so scared to take the canister apart to clean the tubing. What if I can't put it back together again?

Well, I question whether wineries would sell it as it's for wine and beer making (to clean out the barrels in between brews), but it can't hurt to look/ask.

So far I've used it to clean the inside of my siphon tube and decorations. I don't know about disassembling a canister for cleaning. This would have to be a question for canister users or for a lfs.

I paid, online, $2.99 for 8 oz., plus shipping. I don't know whether the store would charge the same or more.... in my last email, I asked the price, but they didn't answer that one.

Oh, that is cheap! I just need it to clean out my intake tubes to the canister. How often do you clean your tubing? I just generally swish mine around in tank water.Just realized that you never said you used it to clean your intake tubes...oops!

I could. But, as I can reach from one end to the other on my intake tubes, I wanted to save the cleanser for the hard to clean, super long tubing. I got two bags of the cleanser before, so I told the person who answered my email that I wanted a pound of it again. Will let you know if/when I hear about what they'll charge.