Nemo Acting Weird!

I was out of my room and when I came back I saw that he was in the corner "shaking" (like when your cold) and then he got up and swam around. He breathes slowly.... :(

The reason I suggest a large water change is because some of these symptoms could be indicitive of a poisoning. This happens more often than fish keepers realize, especially in a small volume of water. It could be a trace residue of soap or an air freshner spray or who knows what and some goldies are more sensitive than others.

Oh, okay... Um... yesterday at night his eyes went back to normal but today morning he did it again... and he swims really fast around the tank, knocking everything out of place...

A stroke?!? But he's still living.... should I euthanize him? He can still recognize me but he can't swim.... :(

I dont know if that is what it really is. Just my guess. To me, it looks like somthing has affected his brain and his ability to gracefully control his movements. I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I know you really care about Nemo. I really do not know what to suggest to help. I hope that he pulls through this for you.

I just saw that somone mentiond poisoning. The symptoms Nemo is having look very much like what happens with poisoning.

Edited by NightAngel

That is what I think, too. I unfortunately have been through poisoning and color loss, twitching, banging into the sides of the tank, side resting or floating, all signs of poisioning.

Have you done any water changes yet?

Yes, I have performed a 50% water change.Yes, I have performed a 50% water change. If its poisoning, how come it hasn't affected Cynthia?

UPDATE: Today Nemo is much better. I wanted to go to the best LFS in my area (Congres*ional Aquarium) so she took me, and a lot of things happened. First, I told the apparently "expert" sales-guy what happened. He gave me "E.M. ERYTHROMYCIN" (API) and said to put "the goldfish" in a container with no filter, add the medicine , and change the water every week. My mom was like "okay... we'll buy it.... blah blah blah..." while I was exploding inside. FIRST OF ALL, a goldie, sick or not, cannot be put in a container with no filtration, and second of all, that's not what the instructions on the medicine said. I started panicking and I told my mom everything I knew about sizes of tank and in the middle of it all I checked the price of the medicine and it was 17.99, so when the guy saw me looking with huge eyes at the price he was all like "or you can just flush him down the toilet or freeze him" and that was when I realized that maybe it wasn't a bacterial infection. So I asked my mom if I could just see if Nemo got better in a day or two and if he didn't we could buy the medicine but she just told me that we were going to put him in a container with water and the medication "because the guy knows what he's doing" so I told her all the wrong information he had given us and then I somehow managed to get her to buy me a 5-gallon tank but she INSISTED on the medicine so we bought it and know I am about to put Nemo in there. I transfered a plant, some rocks, and a filter from the other tank and I added some salt, and tap water conditioner so I need help. HELP!

Oh, gosh. I don't know anything about this, but becuase of the red poop I am definatley leaning towards poisioning. It sounds to me like Nemo ate something that he wasn't meant to. Do you have anything red in the tank (gravel, decor, anything?)? And that explains why he is the only one reacting with poisoning symptoms.

Not to tell you to lie or anything, but can you put him in the QT tank and imply that you started him on the meds without really adding them? I don't know anything about that medication, but it sounds like it is definatley the wrong way to go, especially until a mod gets on.

P.S. Thanks for your comment on Scarecrow...she is a cutie!

Ugh, unfortunately my mother WATCHED ME LIKE A HAWK while I put 1/2 out of a packet in... And nothing in the tank is red. There are large gravel stones that are red, but they are too big for him to swallow. However, I will say that evr since I switched Nemo from the 10-gal. to the 5-gal. he has improved majorly. I think it was poisoning in the water. Or, maybe the sales-guy was right and it's the antibiotic helping. I don't know. Thanks for help!

P.S. Your Welcome for saying Thank You for commenting on Scarecrow...

Edited by SebastianLara

Okay, one more thought. Colored or dyed gravel (like the large red gravel) can sometimes leech dye into the water. I would remove it to be safe, but remove half at a time to keep your cycle going. Glad to hear she is doing better.

• 2 weeks later...