Tank size: 29 gallons/running seven months

Filters: Penguin biowheels 250 and 100

Water changes: Twice weekly 10%, once weekly 50%

# Fish: Three (and between 0-3 shrimp)

Conditioner: Prime

Food: Once daily; gel food, flakes, veggies

Unusual findings: Sirius has *something* hanging off of his mouth

Unusual behavior: Sirius is bottom-sitting and yawning

Hi all! Apologies for the vanishing act; life has been crazy at the Minx household.

However, let it never be said that I won't reappear for, you know, CRAZY ILLNESS DISASTERS!

Sirius was bottom-sitting when I woke up this morning, but was responsive and hopped right up swimming when I walked up to the tank, so I figured it was nothing.

When I got back home this evening, he was still swimming, but yawning fairly extensively. Thanks to the yawning, I noticed that whenever he closes his mouth, *something* sort of... drifts out and then gets sucked back in.

It looks vaguely skin-ish -- very light and floaty.

No other symptoms; lips themselves don't look swollen or discolored; no spots or other marks on his face.

Anyway, the only mouth disease I know of is Columnaris, and I was under the impression that was *super* bad, so I wanted to check and see what y'all thought before I began the panicking and tossing in of medications right and left.

No photos, sorry -- it won't show up on camera, so all I ended up with was a lot of Sirius looking pissed that I was blinding him with the flash.

Hi Minx! Are you 100% sure that its not a pH drop or some pH issue underway? If pH checks out stable and kH is above 80 then you can rule that out and maybe you can assume it is early stage columnaris or mouth rot. Both are quickly cleared up early on like this with either Jungle antibacterial food or salt at 0.2%. Take your pick. Act fast. I am assuming that it might well be columnaris because of the bottom sitting.

Nope! pH is still fine. (7.6, blahaha!) I don't have a kH tester (bad Minx!) but can I just... assume that if the pH is rocking solid the kH is as well?

All I've got for meds in the house, food-wise, is Jungle Parasite and some five-month-old MediGold, so I'll run out to the store tonight and pick up some Jungle Antibacterial. Should I feed the whole tank? (If I shouldn't -- if I need to take Sirius out -- I'll probably salt him instead, actually. I'm reluctant to salt the main tank because of how Chester reacted last time, but I don't think Sirius has any sensitivity to it.)

Oh, I've got one I can pull out (somewhere... oh, lord, think of the cobwebs...) but I didn't know if I should treat all of them; if it is columnaris, it wouldn't have spread that fast, would it?

It can spread easily yes but fish have some resistance to it too. Since you have caught it so early I think I would just salt a QT for Sirius. The particular bacteria that cause it dislike salt and until they multiply and strengthen to the point of serious disease it can close the floodgates so to speak. If it starts to get worse with the salt maybe you could start the food course.

(Oh and previous Q- yes your kH is prob. good if the pH is stable everytime you check it).

Okay! I'll pop him into QT and salt the heck out of him for... a week? Until symptoms disappear?

(And by heck, I obviously mean, "safely and responsibly at 0.2%)

Thanks Trinket! :)

Maybe you should just feed them all the food?

Can you salt the tank to at least 0.1% without the other fish fussing?

Okay. I put both Angst and Sirius in the quarantine tank with salt whilst I raced to the store to get some Antibacterial food.

No good. They've stopped carrying it. As have the other four stores in town that were still open at night...

Sigh.

And by the time I got back, Chester was sitting on the bottom.

Sigh again.

So now, I have put Angst and Sirius *back* in the tank and have salted the whole thing to 0.1%, and hopefully Chester won't have a freakout.

I'll get some medicated food for them tomorrow, but it won't be until after work -- 5:30pm or so. D'ya think they'll be okay until then?

Yes. The salt is a very good start. Get the food as soon as you can but the salt will surely help slow things.

All right, gorgeous!

If no one is bleeding/gasping/terrifying their concerned mother, I'll add another 0.1% before I leave for work, and then get the food on my way home.

And victory will be mine!! :Jig:

That's... that's a pretty rockin' emoticon there, Martha. :D

They're all up and swimming as of now, so I'm going to add another .1% and hope for the best!

Thankew, thankew... ;)

I picked up the food on my way home -- the instructions say something along the lines of "Feed your fish as much as they can possibly eat at one time. Just shovel it into them. Twice a day."

Can anyone weigh in on how accurate this is?

Because I definitely only fed them, like, a pinch or three.

Also, the bottom sitting continues on and off, but Sirius' mouth looks quite a bit better, so I'm hoping that five more days with the medicated food and the salt will clear it up.

I think there is a minimum amount has to be fed before its effective hon. Does it say 5 days- I forget. I also think it seems strange that one amount should suit all considering all fish are different size and weight, it must be based on the average - maybe a 2 inch fish( minus tail). Im glad the salt and your noticing this early has stopped it from spreading and Sirius seems to be getting better!

• 2 weeks later...

They're all rocking solid, except for something I'm about to post in the Diseases forum... ;)

But THIS problem, at least, seems to be completely cleared up. I've been staring at their respective mouths like a crazy person for *days*, and nothing new has appeared, so I think we're golden!