Unsure

whitner

I'd really like to get a snail one day, and I've done a lot of research on them. I've read that there really is no point in quarantining them because they don't tolerate salt or meds. So how do I ensure good health for my fish when I get one? Or is this just something I should risk?

Quarenteening is NEVER pointless. It may be something not 100% necessary but it will never hurt anything...its a lot easier to be safe than sorry. Snails can carry parasites like Ich and pass them on to your fish even though the snail itself won't get sick...its simply a carrier. QT for a snail is much shorter than for a fish because all they do is carry nasties, you only have to QT for however long the lifecycle of the parasite you're concerned about is. For ich, I would QT for about 2 weeks...but if there wasn't any sign of paracites in the tank system you bought the snail from then you should't have anything to worry about.

Depending on what kind of snails you get depends on how long you have to quarantine them. I found after researching ramshorn snails that they are able to carry various parasitic flukes, which can be transmitted to fish, or humans. Most of these flukes require intermediate hosts, so that leaving the snails by themselves for a month or so will eliminate the disease. I found out ,after wondering why one of my puffers (the one that was the only one to eat those snails) was always thin after feeding even after eating blood worms. I wormed my fish and he's been fine ever since.

if your lfs carries mystery snails or apple snails and those are the ones you are looking for I suggest checking out AppleSnail.net. there is a GREAT faq section that will be able to answer many of the questions you asked above. also snails CAN withstand aquarium salt as long as it is introducted to the tank slowly. :)

you can also go back to the Snails part of this forum and look at the sticky posts. :thumb: