My Poor Fish-

OldHag

I have been fighting green water for a long time. I have been changing 90% every week, and a few buckets every other day, but still green...

Picture228.jpg

Today I checked a swedish forum and found 3 possibilities:

- Algae Stopper, could be dangerous to the fish...

- Plants, but they might cause algae...

- Darkness for 48 hours...

I decided to try the last one, changed 90% of the water, turned off the light and put on a big towel.

The other tanks are OK.

My 2 last fry, the huge one, Bamse, and Calle (calico).

Picture234.jpg

The whole fry tank, they have stones and floating plants.

Picture237.jpg

The other big tank with some new stones, bought in Stockholm!

Picture242.jpg

My newest plec, little MiniMal, has grown! I don't know yet if it is a male or a female, though.

Picture240.jpg

It looks like you are in a very brightly lit room! What I would give for a little green to control my nitrate issues!

I feel for you wanting to actually see your fish....could you darken the rooms and tanks for a few days...when I moved my tank to a darker room my algae issues (brown not green) dissapeared. I don't think it would hurt????

Sorry to hear about the green water. If you really want to get rid off green algae you must keep the darkness in aquarium for a 5 days. First day you must change 50% of water and no more water changes til seventh day.

This should help. :) Two days is too short period. Also, you should cover aquarium with something like blanket to make a total darkness.

Sorry to hear about the green water. If you really want to get rid off green algae you must keep the darkness in aquarium for a 5 days. First day you must change 50% of water and no more water changes til seventh day.

This should help. :) Two days is too short period. Also, you should cover aquarium with something like blanket to make a total darkness.

What about the fish? Won't she have to remove them? I wouldn't want to be in total darkness for 5 days.

The fish should be fine in the darkness, but when I had the same issue I only covered the tank for 2 days. I do have some algee on the glass (I clean the sides and front once a week) my smaller goldies tend to munch on it.

Good luck I thought it was a lost cause, but i now have very clear water.

Two days can help with some small problems but for this amount of algae two days of darkness are too short.

Fish will be fine in the darkness, but stil if I were you, I'll probably put them in my other goldfish tank for a 5 days or in a quarantine.

Well the fish are going gray, so I think the light was too strong... :(

But the water is a bit better, I will take a pic.

Yes, I know, but the fish are covered in something grayish...

I don't know if it is fungus or velvet.

I don't know if it is the green water, the Algizit or the UV-light that caused this.

I will ask my LFS tomorrow.

I never ever had a problem with the UV light!

What is the ingrediants of that Algae fix stuff you got? Could it have something in it....is the gray looking like excess slime coat? Maybe you could salt for a couple days? Not really my fortay here though....doesn't Daryl keep her fish in green water part of the year? Or am I thinking of someone else. Could it be a side effect from that healthy green water and take a couple days to fix?

I know I am not helping, just trying to think out loud! :why: Maybe you should re-post with "Grayish looking after green water"??????

How frustrating for you! But you can see the fish, so it is a good first step!

Keep me posted! :)