Nano Tanks?

shubunkin lover

Hey, everyone. I've just begun getting into the idea of marine fish. I'm starting small. Fish only tanks with maybe some cleaner crew to help with debre. The size of the fish will also remain small. None will be any larger then 3-4 inches. Their temperments would all be peaceful. If going with the rule of thumb of one gallon of water per inch of fish and at three inches a peice. I should safely be able to have at least six fish in a 20 gallon or am I wrong?

Please advise. Thank you.

The one inch per gallon 'rule' is at best a very loose gudie depending on the type of fish in freshwater, and should be completely thrown out in saltwater.

In my 40 reef I have a clown, an azure damsel, a convict goby, two green clown gobies, and an algae blenny. I only plan on adding a second clown and a royal gramma, maybe a tangoroa goby. That is it. None of these get but, most as either thin or flat, so there is very little bioload in there.

As always the only guide to stocking is 'it depends'. It depends on: the amount of live rock you put it, how you set up the rockwork, the water change schedule, your protein skimmer, the species in question, your feeding schedule, etc.

The one inch per gallon 'rule' is at best a very loose gudie depending on the type of fish in freshwater, and should be completely thrown out in saltwater.

In my 40 reef I have a clown, an azure damsel, a convict goby, two green clown gobies, and an algae blenny. I only plan on adding a second clown and a royal gramma, maybe a tangoroa goby. That is it. None of these get but, most as either thin or flat, so there is very little bioload in there.

As always the only guide to stocking is 'it depends'. It depends on: the amount of live rock you put it, how you set up the rockwork, the water change schedule, your protein skimmer, the species in question, your feeding schedule, etc.

Thank you for your response. I don't think I intend to get any kind of big fish either. What you stated size wise is all I'm going for. I'd love to have a yellow tang but I doubt that will ever happen. Currently, I'm happy with what I got for fish but the more I look at reef aquariums as opposed to fish only tanks the more I get an itch to do that. I viewed your tank on photobucket and am impressed. I love all the coral and the marine life you have in there and now I want that myself. Was that an anemone you had in there? I'd love to get an anemone for my clowns but I'd want to get one that won't sting my other fish. Any suggestions? Also, if you could recommend any hardy, beginners type marine life(non-fish)I'd greatly appreciate it. If I go reef I want to start very slow and only a few at a time.

Edited by shubunkin lover

All the anemones that clownfish will host in will sting other fish, but most other fish are aware of this and know to avoid them. I had a bubble tip anemone. I will get another one soon. The last one killed itself by getting stuck on a pump intake.

Captive bred fish are definitely the hardiest. They are breeding more and more species in captivity now. The captive bred clowns are really hard to get to host in an anemone because they just don't know what it is. Most don't ever take to one. Damsels are very hardy, but most get really big, really mean, and really ugly. So pick a damsel species very carefully.

Get lots of good live rock (1.5-2 pounds per gallon), a good skimmer, and take your time. Do the research and don't cut corners.

Thanks, for the advice Fishguy.

The clowns I purchased had two bubble anemones in with them at the pet store and the anemones were being completely ignored but I understand sometimes it takes time for them to host an anemone. I've been warned about my four stripped/black tail damsel getting ugly. He does display in front of some of the fish and does the little side wiggle with the clowns but they just respond back. He's chased the yellow tailed damsel a couple of times but nothing serious. The yellow tailed damsel seems pretty passive with everyone so far. The thing I like about him is his dark blue color with the splash of yellow. If I could find another small fish that looked similar and was very peaceful I'd find another home for my damsels.

I'd love to get some of that purple algae growing on my rocks and I believe I've seen bottles at the pet store that will grow it. The thing that I find hard is the holding back on getting certain things. I know you can't rush introducing certain items,corals, inverts to the tank but when you see other peoples established tanks(like yours)it's easy to get carried away. LOL I got to remind myself to take baby steps.

Edited by shubunkin lover

That is coralline algae. Those bottles just add calcium and a few other supplements, they won't seed it. And everyone I have talked to says that coralline algae grown using PurpleUp looks very unnatural.

Thanks for the info. I'm glad I mentioned it before buying it and wasting my money. I do have a question about marine food. My fish seem very picky about what they eat. They eat Hikari Marine -S- pellet food but won't eat any frozen brine shrimp, krill or plankton. I've got homemade gel food for my goldfish that has alot of veggies and has salmon and cocktail shrimp and they won't eat that either. My puffers love it though and of course so do the goldfish. I bought Sally's Saltwater Multi-Pack for saltwater fish but they don't like any of that either. I want to broaden their food intake. Any suggestions.

Hey, everyone. I've just begun getting into the idea of marine fish. I'm starting small. Fish only tanks with maybe some cleaner crew to help with debre. The size of the fish will also remain small. None will be any larger then 3-4 inches. Their temperments would all be peaceful. If going with the rule of thumb of one gallon of water per inch of fish and at three inches a peice. I should safely be able to have at least six fish in a 20 gallon or am I wrong?

Please advise. Thank you.

never use the one inch of fish per gallon rule. ever. i would not add more than 3-4 smaller fish. add your fish very slowly and test water in between every addition to make sure your parameters are keeping stable.

anemones grow much to large for a twenty gallon tank, require a ton of intense, expensive lighting, will sting corals, roam around your tank, and should only be added after your tank has been up and running and parameters have been stable for AT LEAST 6 months because they are very intolerent to poor water quality. besides, clownfish do not need an anemone to be happy. clownfish will happily host a variety of corals and caves.

as for cleaners... about one per gallon with mostly snails(nassarius, cerith, astrea), a couple shrimp(cleaner, sexy, blood/fire), and a few hermits (blue leg, zebra, scarlet, red leg) if you like.

protein skimmers are not necessary to have a successful saltwater system, though they do make things easier and will allow you the opprotunity to have more fish... as long as you are doing 20-30% weekly water changes you can easily keep you parameters in check.

i would check out nano-reef.com to find out more information on how to properly set up and care for smaller saltwater tanks. if you look at the january 2009 reef profile, it shows a 3 year-old 40 gallon breeder aquarium run without a protein skimmer.

hope this helps?

I hate to admit it but I probably have gotten a little carried away with the fish buying and probably have made poor choses with my fish, i.e. the damsels. I'm getting rid of them. They stressed out my royal gramma basslet so much it died. They were even terriorizing the firefish a little and for awhile I didn't see it and thought maybe they had killed it but after removing both damsels it has reappeared. Although, it is a little skittish now. What currently remains are three clowns and the firefish and the cleaner crew(4 blue/red leg crabs, a margarita snail & a red banded coral shrimp). I'd like to get another basslet one day or maybe a citrinis clown goby or a couple of blue/green chromis since I read that they are all peaceful fish and don't get very big. But I think that will be a few months down the line. I want to wait and see how the four I have do instead of rushing things. I'm going to try and learn from my current mistakes and not repeat them.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice Scywica and Fishguy. It's greatly appreciated. :)