Black Spots, Finrot, & Scales Raised Away From Body!

buffdoll

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 10

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6 / high range pH 8.2

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, INC (drops)

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gal / running over 6 months or so

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 2 Marineland Emperor Bio-Wheel 400 Power Filter

How often do you change the water and how much? every 2 weeks 1/2 the tank

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 small butterfly koi, 1 small lionhead, and 1 med size lionhead

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? frozen blood worms, fish flakes, goldfish crisp, dried shrimp, etc..

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? both have frayed fins and med size lionhead ALSO has a large black spot on one side of it's body with raised scales.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? med size lion head bottom sitting and kind of legs it's body go to one side.

I have no idea what is wrong with my medium size lion head Shelly!! She and my smaller lionhead (Dolly) had a bad run in with a case of finrot while I was away for 4 or 5 days (about a month 1/2 ago). As soon as I found it I did a 100% water change and scrubbed the tank clean. I took the carbon out of the filters and added Melafix to the water for about 3 weeks. Their fins started growing back then about a month goes by and I look in the tank... in a matter of what seems to be over night.. attack of the finrot again!! My smaller white lionhead (Dolly) has nearly no front fins left. Just little nubs!! I took both of them out and put them both in a 10 gal tank with clean fresh water even though I know they need more than 10 gals I though It would be better than what ever is going on in the large tank. So far the smaller tank has salt in it but that's all I've added so far. Also, Shelly not only has finrot but she has a large black spot under her scales on her left side and the scales are raised from her body. She seems to be bottom sitting and not moving around much. What do you think is wrong and how do I fix it fast?

Hi Melissa, I'm sorry your fish are having so many problems. since you have moved two of the fish into another tank can you list those water parameters or are they the numbers listed above?

does this new tank have any filtration?

does it have an airstone?

what is the temperature of this qt tank?

I'm not going to be able to help you with medication, please wait for a Moderator for that. you should probably wait before you feed the anti bacterial food. I know it's hard to wait for a response, but please hang in there! :)

it doesn't have an airstone but it has a filter. I put the water level 2 inches lower so the water falling from the filter could help add air to the water. I have to pick up an extra air pump.

Hello Ms. Melissa and I'm sorry your fish are having so much trouble. One thing I noticed is that you do wcs every 2 weeks, and this is just not enough for goldies, even in a 75 gallon tank. Likely what happened was that the ammonia and nitrites raised during the 5 days you were gone, especially if you didn't do a 100% wc before you left. The black spot sounds like ammonia burn-actually the burn is healing as the black is like a scab.

My suggestion would be an at least 80% wc. You have 3 goldfish in a 75 gallon, and a 50% wc weekly and 100% every 6 weeks is really needed. And believe me, I know how difficult that can be at times. I have 4 tanks running and one is a 55 gallon on the floor. Backbreaking at times, but I have to set 2 hours aside on Sunday mornings to do wcs and clean tanks. But once you get in this regular routine its much easier to keep a handle on what is going on with your tanks and fish.

One thing that I have learned on here is that if you are going to be away for a few days, do a 100% wc before you leave and feed them VERY LITTLE! Goldfish can go for a couple of days with no food.

Now as far as Shelly's raised scales, are you saying they are raised like a pinecone?

Hello Ms. Melissa and I'm sorry your fish are having so much trouble. One thing I noticed is that you do wcs every 2 weeks, and this is just not enough for goldies, even in a 75 gallon tank. Likely what happened was that the ammonia and nitrites raised during the 5 days you were gone, especially if you didn't do a 100% wc before you left. The black spot sounds like ammonia burn-actually the burn is healing as the black is like a scab.

My suggestion would be an at least 80% wc. You have 3 goldfish in a 75 gallon, and a 50% wc weekly and 100% every 6 weeks is really needed. And believe me, I know how difficult that can be at times. I have 4 tanks running and one is a 55 gallon on the floor. Backbreaking at times, but I have to set 2 hours aside on Sunday mornings to do wcs and clean tanks. But once you get in this regular routine its much easier to keep a handle on what is going on with your tanks and fish.

One thing that I have learned on here is that if you are going to be away for a few days, do a 100% wc before you leave and feed them VERY LITTLE! Goldfish can go for a couple of days with no food.

Now as far as Shelly's raised scales, are you saying they are raised like a pinecone?

Darn! I knew I was going to get in trouble for the 2 week water changes. :oops: I thought that because it was 75 gals I could get away with it. Normally I do 100% water changes before I leave for a week. I'll do another 100% water change on the large tank today. Once that is done do you think I should move the 2 goldfish over to the large tank again or leave them were they are for now. They look like they are doing better other than the fins. Now that I know that the black spot is somthing healing and not something that will kill her. I feel much better! Nothing a some good clean water and time won't fix. As for the raised scales. It's only kind of raised towards the back of her near the tail. Do you think maybe that means she needs to poop more and needs peas? I may have been feeding her to many times a day. You know how cute goldfish are when they eat a cube of frozen blood worms!!! :D

I would probably leave them in the smaller tank for a few days. That way if you have to medicate you won't have to use as much. Is there any way you could post a pic of the raised scales? Pics would be great as I am GUESSING that the black spot is ammonia burn healing. We could be more sure about this if you could post a picture. They are worth a thousand words, ya know? :)