Sign in to follow this  
wolfsong8

Sick Fish?

My dear little Firefly does not seem to be faring well lately. She, like my other goldie Feather, have been having a great deal of trouble with floating after eating. I have done everything I can think of to resolve this problem, but so far nothing has worked. We went away a bit ago on a 3 day vacation, and I thought it would be a great opportunity to fast the fish in order to clean out their systems. When I returned, Feather seemed to be doing quite well, but poor Firefly was in a sad state. She looked emaciated (for a fish), and was listlessly floating about in the tank. The water is pristine (I have been doing large water changes in the hopes that it would help their floatiness). The day after we arrived home I fed them their usual pellet food, which was carefully soaked beforehand. The pellets are the sinking kind, but I like to make sure I do everything I can to a alleviate any undo stress.

A couple of days ago I noticed that Firefly was floating upside down in the tank. At first, I thought she was dead, but then I noticed her gills moving. Occasionally she would make a feeble attempt to swim around, but it was rather pathetic. I was sure she would not make it until morning. The next day I found her swimming about the tank as normal, as if nothing had been wrong at all, though she still seemed to be a little weak.

Tonight I made careful note of her poop, and noticed it was very long, spider-web thin, and almost colorless. I read that that could be an indication of a bacterial infection. Do you think an infection could be linked to her floatiness and inability to fatten up? The only time she looks nice and plump is right after a feeding, but she quickly loses that plumpness after a few hours.

I am very worried about her. I do not notice anything out of the ordinary on her physical appearance, but now I worry about an infection or parasites. What is the recommended treatment?

Hi there! Sorry to hear about your fish :(

Could you fill out this information so a mod can help you better? Thanks!

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Sorry if I sound a little snippish here, but I did mention that my water is currently in pristine condition. After MONTHS of carefully monitoring the water in the tank, I feel certain that their condition is not related to water quality. I have been down that road too many times, and never with any success. What I am looking for is if anyone has heard of these particular symptoms being related to parasites or bacterial infections, and how I can treat these safely. We did move into a new house in early January, but the floatiness has been going on for quite sometime. The only real difference is that Firefly did not seem to be having any problem at all until after the move, and thence has started to decline. Feather, who has been dealing with the floatiness much longer, deals with it much better. I don't like it, one way or the other, and would rather not see either of them suffering in any way. Again, just to reiterate, they only get floaty after eating. Meals are once a day, and they are fed three pellets each, which have been soaked before feeding. At least once a week they are fed peas, as much as they can eat in one sitting, and on Sundays they get frozen bloodworms.

Your water supply could be fluctuating. Did you move to a different city? The water from the tap could be fluctuating day by day, causing these problems. If you could, please answer the box of questions. You never know what could and what could not be water related. At least check your tap. A Kh that is different from your other house's may be causing a pH change and therefore causing this behavior. You never know.

Plus the rules for this section on the forum is that everyone posts water conditions. Even our long standing members are required to post. It's the rules.... :idont

Also, awesome name! All the cool people are named Sarah with an "H"

I have already listed my water params on a previous post stating the same problem. Nothing has changed. We moved to another city with a different water supply, but I checked all that out before. I mentioned this in a previous post (where I did list all my info) and carefully followed the advice given. The only change I have seen is that despite my careful control on the water quality, Firefly is getting WORSE, not better. So, that said, assuming this is NOT a condition related to the water, what else could it be? Seriously, I could spend the next half hour checking all the water params and writing them down, but as they have never shown any major fluctuations, or any fluctuations as far as I am aware, I would have to conclude that this is not water related, but something else. The problem is that i am not well versed on goldfish diseases and their symptoms and treatments, so I really need someone who knows a thing or two about that and can help me out.

Again, symptoms are:

Floating, particularly after eating, but it is becoming a regular thing with Firefly

Poop is very long, thin, and mostly colorless - kind of looks like a spider web

General weakness in Firefly, listlessness at times

Inability to gain weight (Firefly) - she looks ammaciated most of the time.

Edited by wolfsong8

Well without having the whole picture, all we can really suggest is more water changes. Make sure they are temperature and pH matched. And I feel that our mods who are experienced in fish disease won't be able to help unless we get updated water readings. That being said, here is the link to wolfsong's last thread on this topic. It has the water readings from that time in it.....

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...c=75121&hl=

Are these fish still in the 10 gal? or have you upgraded?