Need Ideas For My Tinfoil Barb Tank

El Pez

Hello,

I have recently moved my three large tinfoil barbs from my 55 gallon planted tank to a newly setup 33 gallon. It only has black gravel on the bottum and a aquaclear 30 powerhead and a filter. Considering I already have my heavily planted tank w/ Bala sharks, I'd like to have a tank that has no plants but rocks and bare logs instead. I've seen tanks like this before and think it would be a nice contrast to my other tank. Also, i want to add another type of fish to the tank. I clean the water twice a week so the extra fish won't be an issue. Any ideas of what to do?

If anyone has pics of tanks they think would work please add them too.

thanks

Edited by El Pez

they will be getting a 125+ gallon once we finish our degrees and settle into a house in 2 years. They are fairly small right now and i understand they get big fast but they're enjoying the 33 for now. The reason i moved them is because they've gotten way to big for a planted tank and i also wanted to give my growing bala shark some more room aswell. They enjoy ripping all the plants out of the ground for no reason. Leave them alone for a hour and every plant will be floating at the top. I'm expecting them to get around 11 inches, i've never seen one grow to their potential in a aquarium other than at a zoo where they have 10000 gallon tanks. By the time they are big enough they will have a big enough tank. but for now i'm worried about making them a natural looking environment that they cannot destroy. ideas on that?

I disagree with your decision to move them. They're one of the few fish that go well with balas, and they will get as big as fast as a bala, so while its nice you wanted to give the bala more room, the tinfoil barbs need it too. But, that is your decision I guess.

To answer your question, a bare tank would be a stark contrast to their natural environment. They live in the same areas as balas, heavily planted river beds in SE Asia. If they're ripping out your plants, pick different plants. They have fake ones that are attached to logs or caves or something of that nature. The more they can swim around and through, the calmer (and less destructive) they'll be. Good luck.