New Fishie!

nichjake

Yesterday I did something I swore I would never do again....bought a new fish from a chain petstore! Monday I went to the best pet store in the area to look at fish and saw one I kinda liked but didn't that feeling that I just had to have him...so yesterday I went to the local pets-mart and found a big blue boy that I instantly fell for. I had sworn to myself I'd never buy another fish from stores like pet-co and pets-mart but this guy was just too perfect to pass up. I don't feel very bad about buying from this store because they actually take care of their fish. Shocking isn't it? I didn't see any sign of disease whatsoever in their tanks and they were all spotless. The employee I talked to even knew enough to make sure I wasn't gonna put this guy in a tank less than 10 gallons (she didn't ask about stocking but at least she knew something) Every time I've been in this store I've been impressed by the condition the fish are in.

So anyways, heres my new guy. I'm not really sure if its a gal or guy...I'm guessing guy because of his vent, but he doesn't have breeding stars so I can't be sure. He's kinda shy but he let me take these pics of him in the little critter keeper I used to acclimate him to my water. He'll be in QT for a while, but I need to come up with a name for him....any suggestions?

100_5609.jpg

100_5610.jpg

100_5613.jpg

100_5616.jpg

That's a great find from a chain store!! He's gorgeous!

Does it ever occur to you, like it often does to me, that "fish shopping" in a chain store is like going to a garage sale? You gotta rummage around and look and look, but occasionally, you find something amazing!!

That's a great find from a chain store!! He's gorgeous!

Does it ever occur to you, like it often does to me, that "fish shopping" in a chain store is like going to a garage sale? You gotta rummage around and look and look, but occasionally, you find something amazing!!

I whole heartily agree, once in a great while you find a really nice one.

How about Louie, he looks like a Louie!!

haha, I like that analogy Chloe. He is quite impressive for a chain store fish, big to...his body is about 3.5-4 inches long. Its unusual for chain store fish to be that big and as pretty as he is. I love his coloring, each scale has a dark outline so he looks almost like he's wearing armor. You can kinda see what I'm talking about in the pic where the camera is looking down on him, his whole body is like that. I also love how little green he has on him, the only bit is that splotch by his head.

hmmm...I like the name Louie, it does seem to quit him. I think I'll add that to the list of possibilities.

Guest orandaman12344a

vvvv ARE AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!! I FIND GRADE A + FISH THERE AND I GO EVERY WHERE! I have to admit right now they are not doing well but in summer and spring they are awsome!!!!!!!!

Edited by orandaman12344a

What a beautiful fish!!! That tail is AMAZING!!! Great find!!

I was the same way. I swore I wouldn't get anymore fish from the chain stores, but I found two a few months back that I couldn't resist! My favorite tank has 5 orandas and they are all from chain stores..

How isn't he a cutie!

Do you want a name that is a human name? or one that is more of a "pet" name?

if A) then Harry if B) then Schmutzer :D

He really is beautiful. He looks like our Willy. My girlfriend spotted him and just fell in love. She named him Willy because her first thought was he looked like a whale and we were going to free him from Petsmarttttttt. They arent too bad in our area. We've got a couple of cuties from them. Here's a youtube video.

He's having some issues with his caudal fin and anal fins. The lady at the petstore wasn't very gentle putting him in the bag and he got banged up a bit. I had hoped he'd heal fine but no dice. So I've salted his water a bit and added melafix. I'm hoping he gets better quickly!

omg s/he is TOO pretty!! I love that color! why can't my pets mart have a beauty like that?! :krazy:

...you know, if Hidr is able to keep Mongo safe I may end up stealing your baby! :P

Sadly this new fish succummed to whatever infection he had and passed away tonight. I did my best, it looked like fin rot which I attributed to him getting banged up when the gal at the lfs dumped him in the bag...but I think it may have been something more serious. Either way he's no longer with me and I've gone and lost the receipt so I can't even take him back to get my money back or trade for a different fish. I'm really sad about this one, he was a beautiful fish with a really sweet personality. :cry1

Boy, I am so sorry about the little guy! He was so beautiful, and I was surprised to find such a nice fish in a chain store these days. Years earlier it would have been a better chance to find such fish in a store like that. These days, is rather uncommon.