Uh Oh, Another Clown Problem

shubunkin lover

So my two clowns never bonded and in fact the first one I purchased has become highly aggressive and started attacking the second one. This caused my two damsels to join in on the chasing and attacking. So I made a decision to go back to the store where I purchased the second one and got three more making a total of five. Thought that would settle anyone from being singled out but the first one I purchased had none of it. Everyone was a threat. So I moved her/him to the juvenile green spotted puffers tank(I've got the GSP at marine level now and they seem to love it)thinking that they were to tough to be intimidated by the clown. Nope. Now the clown is chasing the puffers and stressing them!!! I don't know what to do with her anymore. The store won't take her back and I have no room to set up another SW tank. :unsure:

On a positive note, the four clowns I got from the same pet store are doing wonderfully. They're schooling together and defending their territory together. I think they still remember each other as tankmates and have accepted one another back and there is very little if any fighting. No one is stressing. It's a beautiful, peaceful tank just as I imagined it to be.

Now what to do with the other clown. Anyone want a free clown?? :help:

I'm curious about the tank size as well. As you know, the female (larger) clown spends some good time putting the male into his place, and this may just be what you're seeing. But if it's chasing all the other tank inhabitants, it may be that they don't have enough space or hiding places.

I have a 29 gallon tank. At the time, I had purchased the first clown(the aggressive one)at another pet store and that was the only one they had at the time. Then decided I wanted two in there instead and went to a totally different pet store to get clown fish Number 2 to put in with the first one. I spoke alot about this in my topic "Clown Identification". But the first one didn't like the second one and started bullying it to the point where the damsels joined in. So that's when I removed her and put her in with the puffers and went back to the pet store that I got the second clown(the bullied one)and bought three of his former tank mates. They're getting along perfectly. There's a little displaying to one one another but nothing harsh like the first one and the damsels aren't picking on any one particular clown. Nobody gets singled out. I do know that there will be a hierarchy with a dominant female and dominent male with the other clowns either remaining juvenile or gender-neutral or maybe pairing off themselves and stacking claim to the opposite side of the tank. I have done some research on the subject so I'm expecting some aggressive behavior. I just felt the first one was being uber aggressive because they hadn't been purchase together.

I love my clowns and my damsels especally the yellow tailed damsel that I've named 'Dory'. The four stripped/black tailed damsel is 'Auggie'. The first clown I bought was named 'Nemo' and the second one was 'Coral' but now that I've got three other clowns in with Coral I can't pick her out anymore. With the exception of one they all look the same. I know a 29 gallon isn't very big for what I all have in it but I already had it on hand and I didn't have to invest in a new tank/stand or equipment. I've always dreamed of having a SW tank but was to afraid to try. I'm probably making some serious newbie mistakes but that's how I learned when I started out with goldfish. I was also careful to purchase the hardiest SW fish possible and ones with reasonable price tags. I figured if I found out I sucked at SW at least my cost would be small. I don't want that to sound like I don't care about the fish it's just I realize that no matter how much you try your best bads things will happen. We've all lost goldfish at no fault to ourselves....Right??

As for Nemo and the puffers(sounds a little like a rock group)I don't know what to do. I'm surprised that the puffers are intimidated by Nemo. Especally Pixie, she/he is twice the size of Nemo and if Pixie sees Nemo coming Pixie drops the food and runs.

I'm going to start asking around. See if there is someone who has a marine tank large enough to take Nemo.

Hmm, that is interesting. Maybe it would be best to just rehome that problem fish. If he's stressing the poor puffs, you sure don't want to l leave him in there. :(

Eventually you'll probably want to just stay with a pair of clowns in the 29. The damsels will eventually get too big and territorial, too. Maybe at that point you can find some other smaller marine fish that won't outgrow it. If you don't have corals, you could find a pygmy angel, maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't just add clowns to a tank...You must add your clowns at the same exact time to a new environment or else you will receive the outcome you have.

This rule applies to many marine fish, for example a purple and a red firefish.