Filter To Strong For A Tank?

Wasabi

Ideally you would want a filter or a combination of filters that would be working at around 200 gallons per hour. I have 3 internal filters running in my 29 gallon tank and the current is just fine.

I have a 400 (400gph), a 170 (170gph) and a 350 (350gph) running on a 40 gallon fry tank. They are all fine - and the current is just fine too. Filters are not always as efficiant as their listed gph and, given a "sweet spot" fish actually enjoy the currents. I like the muscles it builds in my little guys, too.

Hi . . . just a question.

Would a very strong current have an adverse effect on the fins of my GF?

I'm scouting for a new filter and I encountered Filstar Rena XP3 Canister Filter which is 359 GPH . . . my tank is only 110 gal. Would this be fine?

A 110 gallon tank should have at least 1100 gph minimum for goldfish. At onlyl 359gph, you will need at least 3 of these.

Yeah thanks noted . . . I've just been surfing and I found the fluvial FX5 with a rate of 600 gph (with full media) 900 gph without media . . . still my concern is . . . the current inside the tank. I've never had experience with these big filters. Would my GFes be comfortable with the strong current?

I'll be back and post a pix of my tank. :)

Here it is.

P2200103.jpg

Rightnow I have a UG in tandem with a over the top 5-1 bio filter 2200 gph ratings . . . I have these set up for 5 months now . . . my GF are healty and I change 1/2 of the water every two weeks.

I don't think changing 1/2 of the water every two weeks is enough..... :o But nice filter though. :)

I do water testing every week and my ph is about 8 to 14 . . . rightnow I'll take your advice and up it to water changing every week :) . . . reason why I'm looking for a better and more powerful filter. ;)

YOUR pH IS ABOUT 8-14?!?!?! I'm pretty sure that's not right.... especially if your pH fluctuates from 8 to 14 every day.

Nah not everyday :D . . . that's after 2 weeks.

Edited by jay_r

You cannot get a filter that is to powerfull in the sense that it cleans your water to much BUT. a big filter in a small tank will have a big current in it. This also MAY NOT be bad thing but you have to take into consideratation your fish and what they like. ie natural habitat

That's my concern thus my question above. Does too much or strong current good for the GFs? Any adverse effect like say fin dammage?

Sorry to hijack your thread Wasabi, but Jay_r your Ph should not be changing like that, 8-14 is a massive jump and will affect your fish. Your Ph should be stable, is there a reason why your ph may be swinging so much. What are your other paramaters, Nitrites, Nitrates, Ammonia?

As long as the goldfish arent being pushed around by the current and there is a place in the tank that they can rest, more filtration is better. I had 2 externals, and 1 internal on my 68 and the fish were just fine.

A 110 gallon tank should have at least 1100 gph minimum for goldfish. At onlyl 359gph, you will need at least 3 of these.

Yeah thanks noted . . . I've just been surfing and I found the fluvial FX5 with a rate of 600 gph (with full media) 900 gph without media . . . still my concern is . . . the current inside the tank. I've never had experience with these big filters. Would my GFes be comfortable with the strong current?

I'll be back and post a pix of my tank. :)

I have the Fluval FX5 and Fluval 404 canisters on my 75 gallon.

Guest jay_r
Also jay_r, 15 goldies is way too many for a 110 gallon. For 15, you need AT LEAST 150 gallons. Also, the ph should be around 7. 8-14 is WAY too high.

Well yes "jaws" . . . I knew that by now and I'm scrambling to get another tank to make the adjustments. :doh11:

Guest jay_r
Sorry to hijack your thread Wasabi, but Jay_r your Ph should not be changing like that, 8-14 is a massive jump and will affect your fish. Your Ph should be stable, is there a reason why your ph may be swinging so much. What are your other paramaters, Nitrites, Nitrates, Ammonia?

As long as the goldfish arent being pushed around by the current and there is a place in the tank that they can rest, more filtration is better. I had 2 externals, and 1 internal on my 68 and the fish were just fine.

8 is just a little above normal . . . right? On the first week immediarely after change my ph is 8 after another week the test would show 12 to 14 so I change half of the water. So I change water every 2 weeks. I'm looking at the possibilty of the "over stocked" as the reason and lack of good water circulation (gph).

My nitrites reading after 2 weeks is .10 ppm; my nitrate is about 20 ppm :rolleyes: . . . good or bad?

Thanks . . . for answering my inquiry on the filter. :D

Jay_r I think you need to start a new topic in Water Quality section about your Ph rather than discuss it on this thread. A Ph of 8 is fine, but because it is changing so much it isnt good for the fish, when you do the water change you are bringing it down dramatically in such a short space of time. Once you have posted your own topic it will be easier to discuss and give better advice. Do you have numbers for your Kh and Gh readings? This will help us and yourself better understand why your Ph may be changing so much.

Guest jay_r
Jay_r I think you need to start a new topic in Water Quality section about your Ph rather than discuss it on this thread. A Ph of 8 is fine, but because it is changing so much it isnt good for the fish, when you do the water change you are bringing it down dramatically in such a short space of time. Once you have posted your own topic it will be easier to discuss and give better advice. Do you have numbers for your Kh and Gh readings? This will help us and yourself better understand why your Ph may be changing so much.

thanks claire . . . I think I'll do that.

• 2 weeks later...
what I'm trying to ask is

can a fish die because of a too strong current?

It depends. The currrent should not be too strong all over the place. Is the stong curent just near the filter? Or is it everywhere? Where?

everywhere :P