Water Changes For Newborn Fry

cooper

uggggggggg unfortunatly since I wasn't expecting fry I didn't have a sponge filter.... I went out and bought one right before my eggs hatched. Now i just tested for ammonia in the fry tank and there is trace amounts... Should I try and do a partial water change of the 5 gallon very carefully with a turkey baster???

PErsonally, I usually do not worry too much about unhatched eggs and waste for the first week or so. If there is a LOT of fungusy eggs and such that you can get with a baster without risking the fry, fine. But if you have tons of fry and a few fungusy eggs, I would just leave them and concentrate on the water quality.

Ammonia at this tender age can, if it is in high enough concentration or long enough duration, harm fry dramatically. It is important to keep the water in good shape. It is not necessary to use a turkey baster, particularly, unless you are trying to remove waste from the bottom. The simplest method to remove and replace water is to take a cup. Carefully lower it into the tank so that you do not cause a lost of currents or scoop up fry and empty out whatever amounts of water you wish. Replace the water in the same way. Lower the cup of clean water into the tank and then release it, rather than pour it. You can replace lots of water this way.