Fisher's Flashing

uberleslie

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 10ish

Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8 (KH about 100)

Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 9 (KH about 0)

Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

Water temperature? 68

Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 20 gallon; 1 year, 3 mo

What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Emperor 280

How often do you change the water and how much? Weekly; 80%ish (last was on Friday)

How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 common; about 6 inches or so

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, Buff-it-up

What do you feed your fish and how often? Hikari Lionhead, ProGold, Peas, Broccoli; feed one of those daily

Any new fish added to the tank? No

Any medications added to the tank? No

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Lost 4-5 scales

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Flashing (see below)

Fisher was living alone in the 29 gallon for a month when Starbuck was in QT. When I took her out, I put all the fancies together in the 29 and Fisher went to the 20 gallon by himself. He's been in the 20 gallon for I think 2 weeks now, and he's doing a heck of a lot of flashing around. It doesn't seem to be the itchy-scratchy flashing...just darting and then spazzing and taking a bit to calm down. He'll splash water everywhere and be violent for a second or two and then do a couple of laps around the tank and settle at the bottom.

This tank is definitely smaller than the other one -- but he has been in it before -- for 10 months or so. The tank is also in a more 'active' area of the house -- and it seems like his flashing is almost triggered by being 'spooked' -- but sometimes it's just random too. I saw that he wasn't really able to turn around because I had two terracotta pots in the center, so I removed those.

There's plenty of water movement (an airstone gives some medium bubbles, the filter output small ones). The substrate is half gravel/half bare with some river stones. There are a couple plants for him to hide behind.

He's always been very sensitive to light changes and tends to spazz when lights go off (not on). Over the course of the past few months he's been dosed with Prazi and salt a couple times and the tank he's in has been dosed as well.

The only other thing that is different is that I'm thinking one of my cats has a newfound fascination with sitting on top of his tank. I have never seen the cat do this, but I've noticed cat hair up there and that's definitely new...my husband and I are trying to re-arrange stuff so that the cat doesn't do this...but like I said, I've never seen the cat cause him to flash.

Any thoughts?

Edited by uberleslie

Leslie!! The two of us are always gonna be dealing with SOMETHING huh?! lol

I've got no experience here, but it does sound very possible that he is somehow responding to a change in his environment... Hopefully things will settle down once he has been adjusted longer?

Curious to see if anyone else has other ideas!! I'm sure Imo will suggest checking the Ph mulitple times a day. Since Ph crashes can have a flashing darting effect I believe.

How's my lil baby Starbuck doing these days?

I've been checking pH daily - or every other day. I'm at a rock steady 8, thanks to Buff-it-up.

Starbuck is doing as good as she gets, I think. She's in with Kenobi and Sephie and they seem to be well-matched. No one picks on her. She's still got the floaty/sinky issues going on. One day she'll sink, the next she'll float, the next she'll sink upside-down, the next she'll float upside-down. Her appetite is good though and she perks up when I'm nearby. She has a little wen growth going on too (last thing she needs probably). So I consider her *healthy* I guess.