Looking For Snails And I Am About To Give Up :( Help...

ellisondee

I have looked though hundreds of web-sites trying to find one these Apple Snails for sale. Pomacea Maculata or an Pomacea Canaliculata. Dose any one have a clue where I can buy one of these snails.

Those snails are illegal to ship across state lines, so keep an eye out on aquabid for someone in your state selling them. The USDA really cracked down on people who shipped snails not very long ago so people are hesitant to risk shipping illegally. I hope you find some!

Also try looking under the name Mystry snails, many people use the names interchangeably.

Mystery snails are almost always P. bridgesii...or brigs for short. A whole different species from P. Maculata or an P. Canaliculata even thought they're in the same family and look similar. People might be marketing the Maculata or Canas under the name bridgesii on Aquabid though to keep under the USDA's radar. If you can tell the difference between the snails just by looking at pictures you might be able to find the snails you want that way.

I was told they were illegal in California and as a result, hadn't seen any in literally years. Then within the last few months, I've started seeing brigs again. I'm not sure if those are now legal, or if the guidelines are less strict, or if people just aren't being thorough in searches. At any rate, I wish I had space for another tank so I could keep just snails. There was a time where I thought I'd never see them again here.

My thoughts are that most people just aren't aware of the laws concerning snails or even think to check to see if there are any. I didn't know that there were any laws or regulations on snails until I happened to run across a post on this forum. Before then I never knew there where any laws and it would have never crossed my mind to even look.

I have two Brigs Mystery Snails. I was just wanting the others the brigs do not keep the tank clean they do not eat algae. I have given up because they are illegal here in South Carolina. Any way I am now looking for a couple of Nerites or Neritines.

Nerites are cool but they are brackish/saltwater. They also have a habit of crawling out of the tanks since they are intertidal and are exposed. If you do get them, make sure they have a good-fitting lid.

I think there is a certain kind that can tolerate freshwater, but most prefer brackish.

Thank You, That is good to know because my tank does not have a complete lid over it due to the plants that grow out of the tank. I guess I will keep looking for another snail. How are pond snails, I guess that would eat the plants and climb out also?

I'm not sure how pond snails are. I think they eat algae but don't know if they eat plants or not. They should stay in the water though.

I really love nerites. I had a couple in my saltwater tank years ago and they are interesting little critters. Someday I want to set up snail tanks, too. My list of someday tanks is way too long!

Nerites are brackish/saltwater snails but they can be acclimated to fresh water. Most of the people on aquabid that sell nerites say that they have been acclimated to fresh water so they should be ready for you tank.