Sign in to follow this  
NightAngel

What To Do With Empty 10g?

I have an empty 10 gallon tank that is just sitting there running with nothing in it. I put the bio media in the 150 to hold its cycle, but I hate having it sit there all empty full of water. I have used it for many things, most recently as my QT. All of my GF are doing super, (chewy is in his own tank anyways). I dont plan on any new GF either. If one ever gets sick I can always do a rubbermade with zeolite and airstone and I have a ton of extra aquaruim pumps filters and stuff laying around.......

I dont want to go the beta route.

I would love to have a bubble eye, but dont think that a 10g is a decent forever home. I do know that they stay smaller, but I am concerned about potential water quality issues with even a small GF in such a small body of water (nitrate build up). What do you guys think?

I really like pea puffers too. I already have two GSP in another tank and they have been pretty low maintanence for me over the last four years. If I went that route, how many could I do?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE chili rasboras, and other micro rasboras. I am really leaning towards them, and am framiliar with their care. If I did this, I would also get some dwarf/pygmy corys and a 2-3 ottos. Maybe I should set it up as a nano tank?

I dunno, what would you all do with a spare 10g tank?

It would be 2 dwarf puffers for me :)

Only two dwarf puffers in a 10g? Arent they super tiny? They really are full of personality.....

spare 10 gal tank... erm.... Leave it set up for QT i know you said about the rubbermade BUT i as a human would much rather go to a nice tank that has perfect stats then a rubbermade that has just been set up for me coz im sick.....

Take the english NHS if i had an option i would much rather go privat then go to the NHS when im sick :)

But if you really really dont want to keep it for QT then you could always grow some brine shrimp. or some other wonderfull live fish food. dont know if its possible to cultivate bloodworm om pretty show one of my old friends did it before though.

So all in all my opinion is not to keep any fish in a 10gal tank but to keep things in the tank that will keep your other fish even happyer

Edited by the goldfish man

Goldfish man, now that is an awesome idea that I had not thought about...... In fact, a great idea!

OK, so I am open for suggestions about live foods too :D

I myself have two dwarf puffers and they have huge personalities for their tiny size. The following info is on tank size if you decide to get them.

The great thing about Dwarf Puffers is that their small size allows them to be kept in smaller fish tanks. You can have all the fun of owning puffers without having to setup the larger tanks that most other puffer species require. The majority of dwarf owners keep theirs in small setups of 5 to 20 gallons (19L to 75L).

Even though they are small in size, dwarves need roughly 5 gallons per fish to have adequate space. They will become aggressive to one another if cramped too tightly together. They also become more aggressive as they age, particularly with sexual maturity. Make sure to keep this in mind when choosing your tank size as well as stocking it.

If you are able to tell the gender of your Dwarf Puffers, then arranging them based on their sex would be beneficial. Most people will keep 2-3 females to every 1 male since the males will be less aggressive this way. Male Dwarf Puffers have been known to fight each other to the death, especially during mating season.

I would get two dwarf puffers if your LPS sells any.

I have no advice on what to put in there....I have the same problem myself!

But make sure you either feed your cycle in the 10g or move the filter onto your main tank. Otherwise, without ammonia the cycle will die.

My 10g is a total blank slate decor wise. What kind of substrate will they like, decor ect? Not sure I want to live plants or anything, have bad luck with those.

Ryukin girl, I have the ceramic biomedia in one of the 150g filter boxes. Hopfully the BBs are enjoying the benefites of being in the GF tank lol.....

If you're thinking of getting DP's for your tank, I would have a look at dwarfpuffers.com as they have alot of info. You can use silk plants instead of live ones if you prefer but you need to have alot of them so they can hide especially of they get scared or feel threatened and the plants also break their lines of sight and will cut down on their aggression towards one another.

DP's are 100% Freshwater fish. water temperature best around 80F ( 26C). PH of at least 7.0 is best and as with all fish ammonia 0 especially as dp's have no scales and are therfore more sensitive.

Regular maintenance and upkeep is very important in a Dwarf Puffer tank due to their messy nature. Weekly vacuuming of the substrate and removal of all uneaten food should be done, as well as inspecting/cleaning the filter and other equipment. Water changes of 50% per week should be done to maintain a healthy puffer tank.

If you want to know anything else just let me know. I have also joined a couple of puffer forums for help and advice. Hope this helps.

I'm glad I got my two. They make me laugh every day. I have a couple of posts, one with pics of my tank and the other with pics of my dp's if you want to have a look.

My 10g is a total blank slate decor wise. What kind of substrate will they like, decor ect? Not sure I want to live plants or anything, have bad luck with those.

Ryukin girl, I have the ceramic biomedia in one of the 150g filter boxes. Hopfully the BBs are enjoying the benefites of being in the GF tank lol.....

O I get it now! I thought you meant that you moved cycled media from your main tank into the filter on your 10g. Silly me! It's the other way around!

I would keep the tank in the event of a sick fish, or simply for prepping new fish.

Have you had anymore thought as what to do with your tank? Once I get my bigger tank, I'm thinking of keeping my 10g nano for Q/T. I was going to get a betta but have since changed my mind.

I went with my first choice. 5 Boraras brigittae (chili rasbora), 3 pygmy corydoras, and 3 clown killifish. I did not find any pea puffers. I went to the LFS with the best selection in town. I tried.....

The clown killis I did not plan on getting. I asked the guy if they would get along with my others, and he said that particular killi will get along just fine. He said that the other types my rasboras would not last a day.

They are all soooo small right now. It was tempting not to get more, but I had to reminde myself that one must stock to the ADULT SIZE of the fish. Lucky for me, all of these fish will never get over an inch.

Tank is all decorated, and looks pretty nice. I need to get new bulbs for it though. Hard to seen them in there lol....

Edited by NightAngel

Will be looking forward to seeing some pics :)

Is that the store I think it is--the one where I got in touble for taking pix??! I do love it there--everything you said is true. I got the same impression--that they really care about the fish and give them proper treatment. :)Oh, and congrats on your new babies! Love my pygmy cories--so cute!

Yes indeedee! Gotta love that place!

I have to admit though, he did reccomend that I get 10 of the rasboras. I did not want to be overstocked. I wanted to go low maintanance WC wise. I may get three more, but I am thinking that the stocking ratio is just right.

The killifish stay at the top, corys on the bottom, and rasboras in the med range. Worked out pretty nice.

See personally I would have kept it as a QT tank. But I understand wanting to use it for fish of course too.. In the past few months I have accumulated four 10 gallon complete set ups... A month ago, they were ALL being used. Now I am down to two being used... Within a few weeks if things go as planned they will ALL be empty.. I am going to leave one of them set up and running with either 2-3 of the filters on it. That way I am always able to set up between 2-3 QT tanks if needed. I will probably put two of them away in storage, and HOPE I never need more than two of them at a time, but I want to keep them just in case : ) Because clearly, I have used up to 4 in the past LOL

But, also, I don't like using rubbermaids.. In an emergency for a few nights sure, but I like to be able to watch them from the side. So in your case, since you are fine with using rubbermaids, I don't blame you for wanting to make it a home for some fish!

I can't wait to see your tank when it's done! : ) Congrats!!

I like the QT idea. Or grow brine shrimp? You could even sell it locally?