Sign in to follow this  
the goldfish man

Cichlids

Hi all does anyone have a list of types of Cichlids that are not so super rare that there impossible to get hold of. but ones that are rareish

Im setting up a tank just for Cichlids when i move out in the next month or so. would like to get into breeding them. i used to be a breeding but had to stop due to work and family commitments. never breed Cichlids but always been interested in them so going to give them a go. i want a pair that are not super rare but some that are rare enough for people to WANT them

thank you for all your help

Everyone has been asking for Frontosa's lately... Not super rare, but harder to come by.. They tend to be more expensive too. But I have no idea if there is a reason for that (harder to breed or something?)... I'm still trying to learn about those cichlids! LOL

some one says they grow upto 12 inch........... there tank busters lmao. thats not a prob really as ill be getting a big tank. what ever type ill be getting.

they look kinda nice also

Wow 12 inches huh? I didn't even know that!!!

Next to angelfish I love the parrotfish. Even tried keeping some of them. But they were to aggressive for me to enjoy. lol

Only ones that I can think of or would even want.

Fairy Cichlids are delicate little darlings; I'd love to have some of those.

Shell dwellers are often quite rare; Lamprologus Occellatus or Neolamprologus Multifasciatus. They have all the cichlid spunk and facinating behaviour, and are teeny-tiny! They live in shells, hence the common name.

Julii's are small and very pretty as well, and I've only ever seen them in one of the stores in my city.

I guess it depends on what size of tank you have to work with. There are hundreds and hundreds of cichlid types, so you need to narrow down your scope a bit if you want to find something in your size range that is rare.

I second rams, their soooooo cute!!

I had thought about getting frontosa a while back but they need 30 per fish. They should be kepted in groups of at least 5 with only one male. The female can grow to 12 inches and the males can grow to 16 inches. Their mouth brooders and hold the eggs in their mouth for 28 days.

Cichlids are the IN fish right now. But the problem with Cichlids is that they are aggressive, can get big and there are so many different kinds and color varities that there's not many that have a big demand.

I have two suggestions:

1. The Discus- Which has been called the King of the Aquarium. Like the angel fish thier unique and have many color varities. There not as aggressive as other cichlids and are from South america. Their rarely seen in pet stores but people want them. I've seen beautiful Discus and I've seen Discus that were butt ugly. So if you do decide to get and breed Discus get high quaitiy fish from a good source.

Jack Wattley has good high quality fish

http://www.wattleydiscus.com/prices.php

Check aquabid.com to see how much people are selling discus for.

2. Pick any Cichlid you personally like. Then breed it because you like it. There might not be a huge demand for the one you pick. But you won't have a large supply of them so you will be able to find buyers as long as it's not a Cichlid you will find in every pet store.

Keep in mind that breeding fish in the home aquarium is a hobby. You can make some money by breeding and selling your fish but the money you make will only help pay for your hobby. So don't plan on doing it with the idea of making a profit. If you do make a profit that's great but it's best not to plan on it because most home breeders don't.

You can find a lot of hard to find Cichlids and aquabid.com

i know you cannot make huge money off its just some thing nice to do. ive got a well paid job at the moment so dont need the extra money anyways i just enjoy it

anyway thinking about work im late lol see you soon <3

I added the part about making money for the sake of everybody. When I was young I thought I was going to breed fish and make money. Of course it didn't happen. Too much money invested in aquariums, filters and supplies. Then once the fish do breed there's the cost and time of raising them to a salable size. Then there is finding a buyer. There was no internet back then. With the internet it's easier to find a buyer but then you add the whole shipping thing.

Doing it for the the enjoyment of it, is really the only way to enjoy it.

And the best in my eyes. :) its always nice to do things that you enjoy to be honest if i breed anything and let them grow i would prob end up only asking a very small fee if any at all