Lavender Telescope Fry

misty_blue16137

I bought a 2nd sponge filter a bigger one and today I bought abother whisper 100 air pump. (for when I eventually move the fry into their bigger home) So the air pump has two air outlets... I connected them both with a t valve and added an air stone to the sponge filter. The effect was ridiculous!!! I had no idea it was going to pump out so much power... the bubbles were shooting over the surface of the water and hitting the hood. Its pretty cool for now with my huge goldies but I definetly think I'm gonna have to use a weaker air pump for the fry.

Kathy I have a question, did you actually try and siphon every bit of uneaten food from your fry tank? Only because I still have them in a 5 gallon with a large plant and it would be very difficult for me to try to get debris off the bottom without disrupting or possibly killing the fry. I checked my water parameters and everything is fine so what do you think? :unsure:

Edited by The Fish Whisperer

Mine spent their first 2 weeks in a 2-3 gallon acrylic tank. Thing is,even if the water params are good there could still be bacteria from any food left to go bad that won't show up on the regular tests. I used a piece of air hose with a nylon mesh bag over the end to carefully clean mine for the first 3 weeks. I then used it to siphon replacement water back in. Just go very slowly. Did mine once a day usually. I also use a heater for them. I keep the temp at 76-78. Both Daryl & Trinket are a great source for raising fry info as they both have lots of experience with it. I constantly check and recheck their posts over in the Breeding section on raising fry as well as a few others. Hopefully they will chime in if they see this as this is only my second time of having fry so don't have a lot of prior experience at it. Am still learning as I go.

Edited by Kathy B

:oops: I was looking at the calendar and just realized they are almost 7 weeks old not 11 weeks. The oldest hatched Jan not Dec.

haha, that's ok!! I was wondering why 11 weeks had come so fast! :rofl

I'm living in exile! We're staying with my grandmother until we close on a house. I moved my gargantuan tank (That has remained unoccupied since I bought it e.e) to storage, with the help of my little brother, stepdad, and Uncle. I swear the thing's huge. It came with a wet/dry filter that I have no idea how to use, so I'm going to just buy a regular cartridge filter for it when I get it set up. I'm hooching off my Aunt's wireless just to come and check up on Koko's! :o I'm so glad your babies are doing well! And poo on the first cull : ( Was it hard for you? I can't imagine how I'll handle it when the time comes. I'll probably just dig out a ''cull'' pond and throw all the culls in there >.> And let nature take it's course without my intervention.

I'm living in exile! We're staying with my grandmother until we close on a house. I moved my gargantuan tank (That has remained unoccupied since I bought it e.e) to storage, with the help of my little brother, stepdad, and Uncle. I swear the thing's huge. It came with a wet/dry filter that I have no idea how to use, so I'm going to just buy a regular cartridge filter for it when I get it set up. I'm hooching off my Aunt's wireless just to come and check up on Koko's! :o I'm so glad your babies are doing well! And poo on the first cull : ( Was it hard for you? I can't imagine how I'll handle it when the time comes. I'll probably just dig out a ''cull'' pond and throw all the culls in there >.> And let nature take it's course without my intervention.

AMEN TO THAT!!!

I personally could NEVER cull any kind of creature, I like your reject pond idea way better! Heck, if it weren't for someone not culling a fantail that was born with only HALF his tail, I would never have found my Uno (gee, where'd THAT name come from? lol) and I absolutley ADOOORE that fish more than any other! And even if it's genetically wrong it gives hime such an advantage, he's a FAAAAST little dude!

The only time I could make that choice is if the creature was in untreatable/curable pain.

yea I agree I don't think I'm going to cull any of my fry (about 100 or so).... I would feel terrible. Although yesterday I did move them into a 55 gallon tank and lost about 10 little guys in the process. I was very upset.... I guess they were still a bit too young. :(

• 2 weeks later...
kathy do you have any new pics of the fry?

I need to get some taken. They are still so light colored that they don't really show up well. So I got a good deal on some macro-lenses for my camera that just came today and am hoping they will help. Course I have to figure out how to use them,lol. Will try to post some new pics or video later today.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

wow...this makes me want to have a telescope tank again....I miss my 5 teles....many in the near future...although I got baby fry again this year...I thought I was done, but my goldies pulled a fast on on me when I was away from home on work travel....lol...came home and saw eggs all over the place

When daddy's away, the goldies will play