Hermit Crab Tank

seheap

I just bought a 10 gallon QT.....only to find out it was cracked. And that I had thrown out the receipt and warranty info. :madrant :

But, I was wondering.....can I keep a hermit in there? I know they don't need to be underwater and I was thinking I could put a dish on the side that has the crack with some water in it?

I just don't want to throw out a new tank......

Most definitely, just be sure that the tank won't crack under the weight of the sand and substrate (you want between 4 and 6 inches in there).

Also, just be sure there is a solid lid to hold in humidity, and that there is some sort of heat source. Also, hermits are social creatures and you would want a few in there, not just one. :)

How many can I keep in a ten gallon? Two or three? I want to make sure I have all my facts straight! I have bookmarked the link that Chrissy gave me but haven't really digested anything from there yet! That's what I will do on my "slow" days this week. :)

Some people say you can have one per gallon, but that seems a bit much to me. You can have 4 or 5 small ones in there, or a few larger ones. A 10 gallon doesn't end up being that big when you realize you need a saltwater and freshwater bowl, hiding places, and a food dish. Even my 60 gallon suddenly got too small! You can provide lots of climbing areas with branches, and I took an idea from a member who used a corner shower caddy to add another level in the tank. I filled mine with organic moss and several of them sleep there every day.

Some of my other favorite sites are www.crabstreetjournal.com and hermitcrabassociation.com. I've been on HCA since 2004 and really like it.