Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dani91

Help Me Please!

Guest Dani91

I recently bought 2 fish (about 2 weeks ago, first one being a fantail and the 2nd a black moor), I never followed the rules as the pet shop owners said to have the fish tank for a week and then get the fish...but i bought the fish tank on the same day as the fish. We throughly cleaned the tank with water and added the fish in about 3 hours later. The next day we got the 2nd fish and added it in about 2 hours after we bought it. We bought a new tank and left it for a week and then added the fish to that one.

When we got the first fish, i noticed it had a very small, but noticable, hole in the side of it...i thought it was maybe just the trick of the light so didn't think much of it. Ever since the new fish arrived...the hole has gotten bigger and bigger. Fishie now lies at the bottom of the tank all the time...doesn't move much...but it has random outbursts of life and swims fast around the tank and goes back and lays at the bottom corner of the tank again. The other fish swims around it and i think is trying to help it in some way. Fish 1 is also breathing very heavily and fast.

Can someone please tell me whats going on?!?! Is she pregnant (iv checked for black spot on her belly but can there isn't one), or is she ill or dying? Iv tried to give as much info as possible. If you need to know anything else, just ask me please.

Really appreciate anything you guys can tell me.

Dani.

You have some serious problems.....here's some questions that will help others get better information. Go to the Emergency Section in the Disease Section!! Part of the situation is taking a fish & putting it in a tank that hasn't cycled. But it sounds like there are other problems as well.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

P.S. Welcome to Koko's! Many people find their way here in a similar situation.

Edited by Jeana727

Please fill this info out:

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Sorry Jeana727, we posted at the same time.

Edited by SebastianLara

Guest Dani91

Im going to get their water tested asap. When i can get off work il be able to do it. I have a feeling their oxygen levels are low.

By getting a real plant will that help their oxygen levels?

Btw, the other fish is fine...lively as anything. So whatever is happening in the tank...its affecting only one fish. Scared!!!

The live plant will take oxygen at night and might actually take away more oxygen. :goodluck

Guest Dani91

Oh....whoops! Lucky i didn't put one in then!

What helps their oxygen levels then?

An air pump, airstone, and tubing. :) The plants do help with nitrates (you don't want too much nitrates) but can bring disease or parasites and that is the last thing you want if your goldies are already sick.

Guest Dani91

Yehh...good point.

But like i said...its only affecting fishie no 1. Not the other one. The other one is perfect!

Do you have a picture of it? It might be an ulcer....

Guest Dani91

Don't have a picture yet...but can get one by tomorrow as camera battery is dead.

The hole looks like its like fin rot but on the body! I know this is disgusting but you can see the inside of my poor little fish :( I don't think its gonna make it =( *cries*

Do you have Melafix? Gosh, if only a mod would come by.... :( Melafix can help heal it..... sorry about your fish dying. :cry1

Guest Dani91

whats melafax??

ughh, i never thought goldfish would be this hard work!!! My cats are easier to look after :L :blink:

API Melafix is just Tree Oil that helps heal frayed fins or fungus. You can try that, but don't do anything until a mod arrives.

Your going to need to change the water a lot also, because your tank hasn't gone through the beneficial bacteria cycle to cancel out the goldfishes waste products. Start with a 50% change or so.

Do you have a filter?

Keeping goldfish isn't very hard once you get the routine down, and if you stick it out here its always rewarding in the end.

Dani91,

I'm so sorry your fish died. :(

the next time you have an illness please post in the 911/999 part of the forum that way a Moderator will see your thread right away. link: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...hp?showforum=72

How is the other fish doing? :)