Sign in to follow this  
Trico

Goldfish Get A Little Lazier With Age?

Well my friend had a batch of goldfish fry a while ago, and I asked for one since I had the room in my 55 gallon for another addition. He gave me a beautiful little fantail or ryukin, I don't know what its true characteristics are yet... but anyway, hes a little inky dinky little fish that is incredibly small compared to my other fish. Hes bigger than their mouths though, so that's a relief. Hes so fast and hyper, and he gets to the food first because hes such a speedster. The other fish don't seem to care about him being there either. So back to my main question. Do goldfish tend to get a little lazier as their older? I have 2 orandas, and 1 pearscale that I've had for around a year, and they are pretty active, but nothing compared to the hyper little fryish goldie.

As a thought, maybe the younger goldfish need to be active to get the food and be faster to compete with their bretheren?

Oh and yea, maybe I'll have pics and vids of the little guy to show you all tommorow

Edited by Trico

Interesting idea. My biggest and oldest goldfish, Godzilla usually takes a nap in the late afternoon. The other 5 inhabitants of the tank stay awake till bedtime. It mayby is the same like with humans. Little kids are often frizzing with energy, while grandma needs a nap to make it through the day ;)

Nemo (3 years old) is usually less active than Cynthia (less than 1 years old) when they don't see me. I turn off the lights in the room,get down on the floor then I sneak up to the level where I can spy on the fish, then I watch them for 20 seconds until Nemo figures me out. :)

Boggles, who is about 2.5 years old, does seem a bit lazyer now that he is older, bigger. My other 4 goldies, who are all over 5 years old seem the same with the exception of my smallest common (realatively speaking) Butthead. He is quite active and energetic, even though he is nearly 6 years old, perhaps middle aged for a goldie.

This is so true my Mongo whom is my oldest sleeps alot during the afternoon. Hes about 5 years old now, very lazy laid back goldfish :lol