How To Do Water Changes In Salt Water Aquariums?

pearlscale808

This is a very helpful step-by-step guide for saltwater water changes:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...l=water+changes

You may need to be a forum member to view it; if so, sign up, it is an amazing site and you won't regret it. I have learned SO much just lurking there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

In salt water tanks with Coral you are supposed to, this keeps algae down in the tank and nitrates which are very bad in a salt water tank...The reason people us skimmers in them. But in a tank that is fish only you dont really need to us RO water.... :)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

You don't really need RO water for a fish-only tank. Copper and other metal particles are harmless to fish but not coral. However, I and a few others use tapwater for our reef tanks but I can tell you tapwater will vary from city to city. You will need to test your own tap water and see if its appropriate for sustaining a reef.

You don't really need RO water for a fish-only tank. Copper and other metal particles are harmless to fish but not coral. However, I and a few others use tapwater for our reef tanks but I can tell you tapwater will vary from city to city. You will need to test your own tap water and see if its appropriate for sustaining a reef.

That post is a year old. I'm sure they have it sorted by now :D

Please try not to pull up really old threads :) If you find something that is more than 6 mos old that you are interested in feel free to start a new thread.