Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jessika_Shadoe

What Is This Behavior?

Guest Jessika_Shadoe

I have Three fish , and they all look pretty healthy now.

But they are all floating to the top of my tank , not gulping ar eating the surface of the water , but just hovering there , and not directly at the surface but maybe a few centimeters under. All of their dorsal fins are down.

I checked the PH and it's in the okay zone. I also have a filter (of course) and a functional airstone (and not the one with the fine mist.)

And if it's a lack of air, what else could I do? Would a living plant help?

Or are they just hungry? (as tommorrow is their feeding day.)

Is it stress? and if so , what can I do (already added Stress Coat.)

Sorry about all the questions , but if anyone could help that would be great!

We'd need to know about your other water readings before making guesses. Nitrates, nitrite, ammonia - and exact pH.

Hovering with dorsal's down doesn't sound like normal "we're hungry" behavior.

When was your last water change? (And how big is your tank/filter?)

Guest Jessika_Shadoe

Unfortunatly I only have a PH test kit - it is a PH of 8.0

Their Last water change was like a day ago a pretty big change too.

And my tank is about 11 gallons with an Elite mini filter.

I put in all my chemicals too a day ahead (aqua plus, cycle, waste control, stress coat and stess zyme..)

Hmm...well, it's good that you did a big water change and they may be reacting to newness there.

However, you have 3 fish in an 11 gallon tank. Each fish needs 10 gallons alone (assuming they're fancy fish), so you're very overstocked. In this situation, the first thing you should be considering is how you can upgrade. The next is keeping your water parameters in perfect condition in the meantime. A pH of 8 is good, but you really absolutely must know ammonia, nitrates and nitrites in an overstocked situation.

Does the Elite filter you have hang inside the tank? If so, I think you're also under-filtrating. (I believe that filter is only adequate for up to 3 gallons -- so we're talking not for goldfish at all.) Goldfish are big waste producers, hence the need for lots of space and filtration.

But first things first: bigger tank. Your fish are likely showing signs of stress and/or poor water conditions.

I'm guessing your tank hasn't established a cycle yet too? To prevent the fish from dying you'll need to do frequent water changes, at least several a day until you can upgrade and get a handle on the situation

Really great advice from the above posters! Water is everything for goldfish- volume and whats in it. What is the waste control product called?

Guest Jessika_Shadoe

Thank You I will try and get a bigger tank a.s.a.p.

But is there anything I could do to make my fish comfortable while i'm working on that?

@ Trico : how much water a day are you talking about ? (please and thank you very much :) )

and if Trinket's question is directed to me it's simply called "Waste control" by nutrafin.

one last question : so if it's 10 gal per fish I need a 30 gallon tank?

To make your fish more comfortable in the meantime, do water changes. LOTS of water changes. Try for at least 50% a day, more if you can.

Ant yep, using our trusty goldfish math, you need at least a 30 gallon tank for your three babies! That is, if they are fancy goldfish. If they are comets...bad news, they need TWENTY gallons each!

Guest Jessika_Shadoe

Then thank goodness they are Fancy Goldfish!haha

Thank you so much for your help.

I put in all my chemicals too a day ahead (aqua plus, cycle, waste control, stress coat and stess zyme..)

I just like to say that you could be saving money by not using so many water additives. you have 3 biological water additives and 2 water conditioners/detoxifiers.

you also don't want to put your water conditioners/detoxifiers in a day ahead of a water change. the water in your tank already has NO chlorine/chloramine. the new water coming from the tap DOES* have chlorine/chloramine. the water conditioners/detoxifiers remove or bind these chemicals from the water you are about to put into the tank. you should be adding the conditioner/detoxifier to the new water before the water goes into the tank.

*depending on where you live you may or may not have chlorine/chloramine in your water.

if you are not able to upgrade your tank as quickly as you'd like to, I'd like to suggest using Prime. it's a really good water conditioner/detoxifier for tanks that have not cycled. many ppl generally prefer it b/c of how it binds ammonia and nitrate.

depending on how young your fish are 30 gallons are fine, for now. the 10 gal per fancy is just a stepping stone as these fish can grow quite large with pristine water, lots of space, and high quality food. basically what I'm saying is if you can get a larger tank then 30 gallons go for it! :thumb:

when you are doing your water changes is the water dechlorinated, temperature matched and pH matched?

keep us posted! :D

Guest Jessika_Shadoe

Oh I didn't know that I was using so much of the same things!!Thank you for That!

Also I don't want to put the chemicals in the night before , as in , only use it for fresh tap water? I thought it needed 24 hrs to sit?

Unfortunatly , I can't get a bigger tank at the moment (as long as I live with my mom..sigh..) and I would LOVE to use that prime stuff..but my mm also says she wants me to finish off all the other conditioners...

But I did get a better Filter AND a bigger airstone :) I hope that helps a little bit more.....

Also I am aware that with more fish means higher ammonia...so I was wondering If I should use my Ammo Chips along with regular changes o' H20?

...and if so..where do I put them in? It isn't really clear on the carton....

@Martha "when you are doing your water changes is the water dechlorinated, temperature matched and pH matched?"

Yes, as much as I can , as much as I can.... ( My water is always SLIGHTLY off but not that much...also I have a heater...and I do Ph tests..)

Ammo Chips will get rid of ammonia but won't help your cycle. (Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate) What filter did you get?

Guest Jessika_Shadoe

Elite hush 20...I hope that's a good one? :blink:

Okay...so the ammo chips can't help? because when I did my ammonia test it was like 1.0 or something....so the ammo chips are a no?

Well, you could use it but if you do your cycle will never complete..... :(

Guest Jessika_Shadoe

Nah, it's probably better just to let it complete...anywayz the fishes are looking happier ever since i put the filter and more air!

I think i'll save the ammo chips for emergencys? (i acually have no idea where it came from i just found it in my tank supplies :) )

So to cycle....I just let it be and let it cycle?

Well, try to do 25% water changes every day and add salt to help your fish (1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons) every time you do a water change