Breeding... Again!

Guest babies,babies,babies

i have three black moores that wont stop breeding. they layed eggs a week ago, and did it again two days ago, i have babies galore... is this normal?

:blink:

ii want to breed. of course. but i have no more tanks for the babies... i have a ten gallon holding the fry, and a 30 waiting... a 3 gallon hold eggs too... its a mess... i need them to hold off till i get these lil babies bigger and can give them away...

if you saw my apartment you would understand that i have no room for rubbermaid containers lol i thought of that

Maybe next time they lay their eggs, do not take the eggs out. Just let them eat their eggs.

:angry: no!!!!!!! save those poor babies then sell them to good homes!!!!! cant you even buy one 10 gallon rubbermaid and do daily water changes? put it in the bathroom

Guest Stormleader

But what if you cant sell them all? or give them all away?

Is it not better that they are taken care of as eggs rather than as young fish? In nature it's a matter of population control (and hunger :P ) so do raise them if youre SURE you can get rid of them, otherwise its best to let them go as eggs... sorry so harsh but thats reality... Best of luck hon!!!

Guest Stormleader

Also I'd start advertising now... local paper, fliers... cause they WILL grow fast, and it sounds like you have very limited space!

Wish mine would breed :( dont even know what sexes they are ;)

I agree that it is best just to leave the eggs next time. Otherwise you will be overrun with fish and you will not be able to care for them all properly. Then you willl have problems so it is best that they don't hatch

I would really love to save every egg possible...but even in nature, every egg doesnt hatch. My apartment is incredibly small and i have two very small chilcren... so rubbermaid containers are a no go ( its a new place to discover for each kid) plus no room to put them, even in the bathroom. As pleased as i am that my fish are breeding i think i need to draw the line somewhere. Once i have gotten these babies out of here, then i will start saving more eggs...

I guess I understand where you are comming from. I have an idea, can you plan ahead of time, that way if you get eggs, give them away to a friend and let him/her hatch them and deal with the babies. I understand the nature thing, but id still save the eggs :) give em away as eggs

Thats a really good idea!!! I dont know why i never thought of that...

Thanks for the idea... now i wont feel bad if they do lay more eggs...

today the second batch of eggs have hatched. and they are doing well.

ive got two tanks full of babies... so next time i will consider ur idea :rolleyes::D

Guest DownSouthDad

As much as I admire your desire to save every egg, I have to

tell you that as a long time goldfish breeder, you are fighting

a losing battle. Goldfish fry require a tremendous amount of

water volume and exceptionally high water quality. The water

changes and syphoning alone for 1 batch of fry is a great deal

of work but several batches would be very difficult to maintain.

Just let them eat the eggs cause eventually you will run out

of friends who are willing to take the babies/eggs.

Guest Fire & Ice

I couldn't find a topic on this so I will ask it here........Has anyone ever sold their juv. fry to lps? If so, do they require you to have any permit or anything??

Guest Fire & Ice

Hi babies, babies, babies - I'm sorry for the abbreviations.....I was trying to hurry. The phone was ringing. :wacko: lps - local pet shop (or store) and yes juv. - juvenile fry. Sorry about that. :(

Archived