Sign in to follow this  
JessicaandMarshall

Brine Shrimp Eggs

I have eggs sunk on the bottom of the jar, suspeneded in the middle of the jar, and floating on top.

Is this noraml?

Or are the ones sitting on the bottom hatched.

I really can't tell, and I did a search on posts here, and read the one about Brine Shrimp eggs on the Chatter Box, but I still can't tell.

So basically, if they are sunk on the bottom, and I also have a ton floating on the surface, does that mean the ones on the bottom are hatched, and the surface ones are the shells???

Thank you

Jessica

good luck i tryed to keep then befor and it did not work very well sogood luck to you

Guest starsmom

Jess, yeah, you will see them when they hatch. Keep stirring the glass once in a while! They will be tiny, easier to see in bright light, and near the bottom and sides of the glass. From what I can tell, the floating ones don't hatch, the suspended ones and the sinking ones do. Most of the floating ones will sink eventually. Not all of them hatch, but a good enough percentage do.

Laura

Guest Fire & Ice

From what I have read, the shells float on the top and the hatching ones are on the bottom..... :blink: I still haven't figured it out!! I raised brine shrimp eggs for 7 weeks and through trial and error I finally figured out what worked best for me. This is how I did it....... I stopped buying the mixes and started getting the bs eggs in the little bottle. I used a 1 pint pickle jar and filled it 3/4 with warm tap water. To that, I added 1 tsp of bs eggs and 3 tsp of aquarium salt. Then I put an air stone in and turned it on full force. It really churns that baby up!! :D After about 24 hrs. I turn off the air stone and turn on a light....wait about 15-20 minutes (however long it takes you to fold a basket of cloths lol,lol ) When you come back you should see the pink little guys jumping around on the side of the jar that the light is on. At this point I put 1 1/2 cups of fresh aquarium water in a dish and heat it in the microwave to the same temp as the nursery tank. I used a turkey baster to VERY CAREFULLY (so as not to stir it up again) remove as many as I think I will need and squirt them into a brine shrimp net. I gently rinsed them under the tap and then put them in the prepared water. Then I used the turkey baster to squirt them into various places in the tank. Then I just sat back and watched the frenzy!! When I was sure that I had fed them enough, I turned the air stone back on this seems to promote more hatching and keeps the bs alive longer. I hope this helps you !! Sorry for being so long winded. :zz

Guest lacyrobin

Do a search (google, msn, jeeves, etc) for "hatching brine shrimp eggs" Won't believe all there is to learn and how interesting it can get.

Lacy

You will see the teeny tiny brine shrimp wiggling in the jar when they hatch if you hold it up to the light.

Just wait till your fry get a taste of brine shrimp ... :D

Fire&Ice, great discription! :) Thats exactly the same way I do it!

Thank you! =o)

I have the little jar of brine shrimp eggs! It was the one and only in the lps heehee. Ok I *think* I've gotten this under control.

thank you for all your help.

I am trying one jar Starsmom's way, and one jar Fire and Ice's way ;o)

Jessica

Guest Fire & Ice
I am trying one jar Starsmom's way, and one jar Fire and Ice's way ;o)

:rofl Jessica, You are going to make a GREAT Mom someday.....That is if you aren't one already. :D

Ranchugirl, I knew if I looked hard enough I would find a kindred spirit!! :hi

Fire&Ice, you will find plenty of kind people right here at Kokos!! :hi

Guest starsmom

Remember Jessica, my way is the ULTIMATE in laziness, not necessarily the BEST way... :rofl

I'm sure your fry will do VERY well, as do all your creatures! :)

Laura