New Baby Hermit Crab

jsrtist

As some of you know, my poor little injured hermit didn't make it. Today when I was shopping for a new rat cage, I found a tiny baby hermit that I needed to bring home! Since I figured out why the other crab died, and I have since prevented that accident from ever happening again, I figured I should "rescue" another hermit in that crab's honor. I've found that the majority of people who are sold hermit crabs don't have a clue about their proper care, and the crabs barely live for a month or two in their care. (I know, because that's how I started out in this hobby).

But I've had most of my crabs now for several years (Mango, Monster and Olive all came to me in 2004) and feel that I know what I'm doing. So without further ado, meet my newest baby crab. I rarely name the purple pinchers since they all tend to look alike (some of the other species look very different), so for now I just call her Baby Purple Pincher. Imaginative, right??

Since bringing her home, she has been happily exploring the crabitat! Hopefully she'll take advantage of some of the fresh food I have in there, since at the store all they feed them is that powdered crab food crud.

(Ignore my ugly hand!)

IMG_2375.jpg

As compared to a quarter! She's in some sort of beautiful Murex shell I can't identify. I've put some tiny moon shells in for her which aren't nearly as bulky, so hopefully she'll switch soon.

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

:Congrats: hurray for the both of you! you get a new friend and she gets a better life!! :D

do you know what they look like under the shell? have you seen one change shells b4? I'm assuming the hidden parts of their body are really soft and vunerable, but idk.

I'd been looking for you on Etsy so I could heart you! We have three stores on there...our pet portraits, Pawsterpieces, our Disney art, GoldenEarsEditions, and my husband's art, GeoffMitchell.

I can't decide what I love the best...I think the sea dragons are at the top of my list...but that bluebird is awfully adorable. Great stuff!

Amy, I just realized that you were one of my hearts on there--I recognized your white dog in your sig picture! I had seen that on Etsy and was like, I SWEAR I know that person. LOL!

Thanks for the kind words about my artwork. I've wanted to make my own store for so long and am finally doing it. I always hoped there were people out there who would appreciate my fondness for weird creatures. :) In fact, I just surprised my friend with my baby dragon for her birthday today, and she absolutely loved it. I was glad that it meant so much to her.

As for the hermits, the pet companies manufacture all kinds of junk that sell but may not necessarily be what's best for the animals themselves. This is the case with hermit crabs. It's best that they get lots of fresh food without preservatives, but in a pet store it is quicker and easier to pour it out of a can.

I haven't seen my new hermie friend since I put her in the tank. She immediately ran to the water pools to check them out (saltwater is another necessity they don't usually get in stores), and then burrowed down. Usually they don't provide enough substrate in store tanks for them to dig down, so they do it immediately when you get them to a better environment.